PDA

View Full Version : 2250 pt Dwarves All comers list

Slayerthane
15-12-2008, 17:33
After a 3 year break I'm coming back to my dwarves and would like some feedback on how competitive and friendly this list is.

Characters

Thane, shield, hand weapon with rune of cleaving, run of fury and armor
BSB with armor with master rune of gromril, rune of preservation and hand weapon with rune of cleaving
Runesmith with shield, armor, hand weapon and 2 runes of spell breaking

Core
15 Crossbowmen with shields
12 Thunderers with shields
23 Warriors with Full Command, shields, heavy armor
19 Longbeards with Full Command, Rune of battle

Special
20 Slayers, 5 upgraded to Giantslayers
19 Hammerers with Full Command, shields
Bolt thrower, engineer, rune of penetrating
Bolt thrower, engineer, rune of burning

Rares
Gyrocopter
Goblin Hewer

Total 2246pts

Basically the strategy is to castle in the center of the table with my 4 infantry blocks. The slayers anchor one flank and the hammerers anchor the other. The BSB thane will be with the warriors, to boost their staying power, the runesmith will be with the longbeards and the CC thane will go with the hammerers to increase their killing power in combat.

The Bolt throwers and missile troops will be on the flanks taking out cavalry and support elements of my opponents. The gyrocopter will be primarily to march block and take out squishy fast cav units like chaose hounds, fellbats etc.

My one recurring problem with dwarfs has always been getting hit in the flank and in the front at the same time and then having one lousy round of combat to cause them to break. This setup is designed to wittle down the opposing army before they hit my lines and then have two solid anchor units to hold the battle line.

So what do you think of the list? Are there better character options or unit choices to go with? Feel free to rip this list up.

lcfr
15-12-2008, 19:16
Maybe beef up your Thane (he's going to be your general, I'm assuming) w/at least a RStone, anything to help him survive a little bit more.

Give your longbeards shields.

Drop the giantslayers on your slayer unit, and use some freed up points to give your hammerers the RCourage on their banner. I'm worried for you that your slayers will be just as useful in smaller numbers to hold up a flank or tarpit units. I'm not used to fielding large slayer units though, so let us know how it works out.

Slayerthane
15-12-2008, 19:40
Shields are already included in the point cost for longbeards but not in the list. That's my mistake.

Rune of Courage would be good for the hammerers so I will probably drop 5 slayers for a unit of 15. This will free up 55 pts so that I can take the Rune of Courage and Master rune of resistance on the thane.

I had rune of stone on the thane in my initial list but for some reason it came out to one pt over which I didn't notice before. Yes, he will be my army general but really just there to kill stuff not really to do anything else so I figured a 2+ save with toughness 5 was good enough.

The idea behind the big unit of slayers is that it can act as a tarpit for the entire game holding up that flank. The giant slayers are there because from experience slayers will almost always lose about 3 or 4 a turn, so the giant slayers are there to be able to get some attacks back and actually kill stuff.

Long.Drong.Silver
16-12-2008, 01:20
A nasty combo for a thane is:Great Weapon + Master Rune of Kragg the Grim + Rune of Fury + Rune of Snorri Spanglehelm. That brings you to 70 points in runes, then throw on a rune of stone for good measure. 144 points: 4 attacks hitting on 2+ against 90% of enemies (b/c of WS 6 and +1 to hit) and S 6. Not very defensive, but that thane can sure dish it for a hero.