PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdom w/ Rhinox Riders...

Sloppyjayman
16-12-2008, 13:46
I decided to start an Ogre Kingdoms army for the sheer coolness of the models. I also discovered that the Rhinox Riders are legal and you can get the models from Forgeworld. I am aware that the Ogre Kingdom is not the most competitive army but I am still taking them to a tournament in March and aim at making a strong list:

Tyrant - Longstrider, Ironfist, HA, Magic armour (-1 magic level per hit, destroy magic weapon on save), 2x Luck Gnoblars
Butcher - boomstick
Butcher - dispel scroll
Hunter - 2x sabretusk, magic armour (3+save against S7 or better)

6 Bulls - STD, Bellower
4 Bulls - EHW
4 Ironguts
25 Gnoblars

3 Leadbelchers
1 Scrap Launcher

1 Gorger
2 Rhinox Riders - HA, Ironfist

The plan is to charge the Rhinox Rider straight into the heart of combat and hope all shooting gets focused on them (5 wounds T5 each, 3+ armour save) and they should be fine. The Tyrant will be alone and can keep up with the Rhinox Riders. Most of my army should get to any gun line and armies without shooting will be destroyed. I hope.

As this is a tournament army, any comments or thoughts are apprechiated.

Thanks....

Malorian
16-12-2008, 14:16
A tyrant with a 2+ save is fun, but warmachines (cannons/bolt throwers) are still going to rip him apart.

Also large units of ogres (like your unit of 6) just don't work well. MSU is the way to go with ogres. So think about dropping the hunter (really isn't that good) and the scraplauncher (can do ok, but not reliable at all) and adding some units of 3 or 4 ironguts.

damiengore
16-12-2008, 19:47
Hi!

As much as Malorian is right on all counts in terms of getting your list to be the standard "competitive" ogre list, I don't think you want to be playing the same ogre list as everyone else. That said:

Tyrant: Avian has an excellent tactica on his website in regards to Ogres, check it out! Magic Armour on Tyrants really isn't all that important as they either kill everything, get run down or get killed by something that doesn't give a hoot for your 2+ armour. Not only that any wizard silly enough to be in hth with your tyrant is alread dead. Would take something else.

Hunter is a dicey investment, he's interesting but a huge point sink. If you want to run him I would consider the greyback pelt instead of armour. If you don't have the model and are considering an alternative go with a fighty BSB bruiser to help the bulls.

6 Bulls is a lot in a unit, I know most people go for MSU but I personally like units of 4 IG's or bulls for my main battle units and add a character for 5 models. Invariably you will lose one on the way in giving you perfect frontage and you can avoid an unnessecary panic test. Also if you insist on having bulls as a mian line unit they need the upgrades (LA+Fist) and then they are getting so expensive you might as well have guts. Bulls also really do a lot better when joined by a fighty hero.

IG's- I like 4 in a unit (+hero) but give them a standard and take runemaw or warbanner (preferrably the later) as even guts need some static res when they fumble

LB's- they need a bellower or your throwing away points. Most people run units of 2 but I think 3 is okay but for gods sake give them a bellower!

Scraplauncher- fun unit but as Malorian said, not particualry effective, I'd trade the KB for 7" move anyday.

Gorger- a lot of people swear by these things but to be honest I think it's better to have something that starts on the table to complicate your opponents firecontrol (especially with the rhinox riders). Best used in pairs to mitigate the randomness.

HF and don't go MSU, it's so tired and been done to death.

Sloppyjayman
16-12-2008, 20:09
Thanks for the replys.

However, I am curious about how you protect your characters without at least one unit over 5 model? Do you spend the points on the lookout gnoblar? I was planning on putting the 2 butchers in the unit of 6 bulls to ensure they cross the table.

I put the armour on the tyrant that decreases magic level with every hit because the tournament i am going to is full of VC and Tzeench Demons. I figure even if I suicide my Tyrant into a Vampire Lord or Tzeench Lord, i should reduce them by a minimum of 3 magic levels which will allow the rest of my army to do the killing.

I will try re-customizing the army with units of 4. Units of 3 just seem too small for me...

I will also take out the Scraplauncher, even though the model is amazing...

Thanks...

damiengore
16-12-2008, 20:39
Thanks for the replys.

However, I am curious about how you protect your characters without at least one unit over 5 model? Do you spend the points on the lookout gnoblar? I was planning on putting the 2 butchers in the unit of 6 bulls to ensure they cross the table.

4 IG's + Tyrant is enough for most enemies, against gunlines add a butcher and you have 6 models, I've never seen three ogres killed by warmachines in one unit. If the unit gets depleted you hop to the next one to keep your heroes safe. Once again I've never had too many concerns with that. Although I will sometimes partner the Tyrant and a butcher with a unit of support bulls to draw fire away from the IG's or the Maneaters.

If you're in hth with a Vampire it's as good as dead anyway. Seriously, never had a problem killing anything with my tyrant, never actually lost a challenge or my tyrnat to wounds, he always gets run down when his unit breaks.

I'd take the scrappy, wth, I almost always use a slave giant because he's hilarious!

Malorian
16-12-2008, 21:00
Thanks for the replys.

However, I am curious about how you protect your characters without at least one unit over 5 model? Do you spend the points on the lookout gnoblar? I was planning on putting the 2 butchers in the unit of 6 bulls to ensure they cross the table...

Well I have a screen of 120 gnoblars in my list, but most people get away with not even bothering to worry about guarding their characters. Most shooting has to be randomized and if they are cannon sniping then there is little you can do about it other than stop taking expensive characters (I just run a bruiser with tenderiser).

SteelTitan
17-12-2008, 08:01
My brother just bougth the rhinox riders from forgeworld and they are madness. (Apart from begin lovely models) they are unstoppable. I play Lizardmen so dont have fancy canons to shoot them down, so there was basically nothing i could do to stop them. Luckily they only ran through one saurus unit before the battle was over... (logically they crushed them in one round...so many wounds, high unit strength so automatically broken (terror - they have a US of 8 a piece a believe...times 3= 24 :S)

Malorian
17-12-2008, 14:55
My brother just bougth the rhinox riders from forgeworld and they are madness. (Apart from begin lovely models) they are unstoppable. I play Lizardmen so dont have fancy canons to shoot them down, so there was basically nothing i could do to stop them. Luckily they only ran through one saurus unit before the battle was over... (logically they crushed them in one round...so many wounds, high unit strength so automatically broken (terror - they have a US of 8 a piece a believe...times 3= 24 :S)

Lizardmen are just fine against rhinoxcav. Remember that the ironfist is not a shield against shooting, so with a 3+ save against shooting you still can take them down with massed shots.

March block them with skinks and poison him to death, or magic them to death, or salamander them to death. Failing that you can always bait with your skinks and counter with kroxigor.

The other (and easier) thing to do is just to march block them and ignore them. Swarm them with skinks, bait them in the wrong direction (lookup how enemy pursue fleeing skirmishers), and basically just keep them away while your main force concentrates on the rest of his.

(OP, sorry to address someone else in your thread, but you can use this as what to look out for.)