PDA

View Full Version : The immortal Legions of a Vampire: 2000points

Flightleader
17-12-2008, 02:08
G'day all,

My first forage into warhammer since last edition. My girlfriend likes fantasy and has started a High Elf army so I thought i'd give the game another try. I used to play Empire and have some plans to return to it at some stage but for now I have the beginings of a vampire counts army and so I decided i'll give them a try.

One of the important things for me is theme and even more important..lots of core troops! so without further ado.. my list for your cullinary pleasure:

Army: Vampire counts 2,000 point army
Theme: Skeleton army of a vampire.. no non skeletal figures other than vampires.

Lesser Vampire: The flayed hauberk and Nightshroud, Hellsteed, Lord of the dead
@ 180
Wight King: skeletal steed with barding, Lance
@ 107
Wight King: The flayed hauberk and Nightshroud, BSB The Drakenhof banner
@270

Core:
Skeleton unit: 20 with full command and magic banner (Icon of vengence) Spears
@ 225
@ 225
@ 225
@ 225

Special:
Grave Guard unit: 19 with full command and magic banner (Icon of vengence)
@ 283

Black knights unit: 7 with full command and magic banner (Icon of vengence)and barded steeds
@ 261

Total: 2,001

What do you think? C&Cs are most welcome!

Cheers,

Flightleader

Hospitaler
17-12-2008, 02:16
You get a lot more out of taking a lord at 2000pts, the Hero level vamp is just too easy to kill, making your army crumble - which is bad! and the extra magic and hitting power of the lord is useful in every situation.

Also you can only take each magic banner once, so multiple Icon's of Vengance is illegal sadly.
By dropping the non-BSB wight king, and all the banners you should have enough pts for a lord, and perhaps another vamp.
Another option is making your skele units smaller, then using lord of the dead to raise them to a larger size - this is not always necessary, but is a useful for pts saving :)
Hope this helps.

Flightleader
17-12-2008, 06:41
whoops...

That's an embaressing rookie error...
Well this is my changed list! :)

Vampire Lord: The flayed hauberk and Nightshroud, +1 level wizard, Hellsteed, Lord of the dead, Helm of Commandment
@ 375
Wight King: The flayed hauberk and Nightshroud, BSB The Drakenhof banner
@270

Core:
Skeleton unit: 20 with full command, Spears
@ 200
@ 200
Skeleton unit: 20 with full command
@ 180
@ 180

Special:
Grave Guard unit: 19 with full command and magic banner (Banner of Barrows)
@ 303

Black knights unit: 8 with full command and magic banner (Icon of vengence)and barded steeds
@ 289

Total: 1,997

Is this better?

Cheers,

Flightleader

madival
17-12-2008, 08:15
its either flayed or nightshroud u cant have both (suggest enchanted shield+sword of kings of same thing except its a 1+ save in cc

Gharof von Carstein
17-12-2008, 08:55
no your second list is not better. its nice having that many skeletons but you have 1, count em, 1!! vampire... undead cant march unless they are within 12 inches of your general (vampire) or 6 inches of a normal vampire. its just not good enough to bring 1. in a 2000 game you bring a minimum of 3. always! you dont need that many skeletons if you just take lord of the dead as summon power and raise up bigger units of skeletons. hell take mannfred as your lord. hes aces and will help your magic phase considerably. accompanied by several vampires your army will be able to keep moving and your magic phase will be strong. i suggest you read the vampire counts tactica and realise that this army is named vampire counts for a reason ;) (its about the vampires)

Flightleader
17-12-2008, 09:26
Thanks for the feedback fellas! really helping! :D

Vampire Counts army take 3:

Count Mannfred: Hellsteed
@ 505

Lesser Vampire: Lord of the dead, Nightshroud, Helm of Commandment
@ 165

Lesser Vampire: Lord of the dead, The Cadaverous Cuirass
@ 130

Wight King: BSB The Drakenhof banner
@225

Core:
@ 200

@ 180

Special:
Grave Guard unit: 19 with full command and magic banner (Banner of Barrows)
@ 303

Black knights unit: 8 with full command and magic banner (Icon of vengence)and barded steeds
@ 289

Total: 1,997

How about this? I'm still unsure on how raising units works... The army looks a little...small.

Cheers,

Flightleader

kormas
17-12-2008, 09:29
well, i like the theme, although i agree with the above poster , VAMPIRES!!, they are a must have, vc relies alot on the magic, without it you will hae a very hard time, other that that i like the list.

Gharof von Carstein
17-12-2008, 10:42
you know graveguard are nice but they arent officially skeletons :) they are wights. almost the same thing cept that wights are actually skeletal looking ghosts. :) whatever ey?

at the moment you have 10Power dice and 6 dispel dice. this is by no means weak but sticking lord of the dead on your vampires without adding dark acolyte is just a shame. my advice? take a black periapt ;) it will give you a extra power dice for a dispel dice you might not use or a extra dispel dice if you want to save a power dice you wont use. another thing is grave guard are kewl and all but expensive as you might have noticed. i wont say you have to cut them but personally id rather have a corpsecart with a lodestone and some wraiths (look like skeletons as well) lodestone helps you raise your units more.

raising works like this btw. you throw invocation of nehek on your unit. normally you wouldnt be able to do more than heal back wounds caused on it (to the maximum number of models you fielded to begin with) but with the summoning powers you get to go beyond what you fielded to begin with! meaning you can add ranks to the back, side with no maximum number! when facing magic weak opponents you might be able to turn those 2 units of 20 (id go with 3 units of 15 personally) into 2 units of 30+ or even 40+! ya you will outnumber and due to fear (if your opponent is effected by it) will cause opponents to automatically run if they lose combat! this is how vampires win. raise insanely huge units, tarpit, hit with special and rare heavy hitters, autobreak, pursue and destroy, rinse and repeat :)

hope that helps some!

Flightleader
17-12-2008, 12:19
I have the grave guard in there because in the book it says that they are enchanted soldiers that are tied to their masters for life and unlife so I see it as a good "personal guard" for the Vampire. I'm intrigued by the Corpse cart and have adapted the list to add them in.

So Armylist take 4... (this really is an artform!) another direction...

Count Mannfred: Hellsteed, Dark Periapt
@ 520
Vampire: Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead, Talisman of Lycni, Cadaverous Cuirass, Tomb Blade
@ 195
Vampire: Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead,The Flayed Hauberk, Sword of Kings
@ 195

Core:
Skeleton unit: 15 with full command, Spears
@ 155
@ 155
@ 155

Corps Cart: Unholy Lodestone
@ 100
Corps Cart: Unholy Lodestone
@ 100

Special:
Grave Guard unit: 14 with full command and magic banner (Banner of Barrows)
@ 243

Black knights unit: 5 with full command and barded steeds
@ 180

Total: 1,998

I like it.. it has more units.. ashame about the black knights I was considering converting them out of the black guard plastics...but they'll do their job as flankers... I hope!

C&C more than welcome! BTW, what's a good rule of thumb for figuring out how many Skeletons to get?

Cheers for your help fellas!

Flightleader

Gharof von Carstein
17-12-2008, 12:37
you may not want to hear this but your vampires are illegal :S you cant take the same magic item several times, this also counts for magic banners. :s so cadaverous cuirass twice along with two tomb blades is not done.

kramplarv
17-12-2008, 12:46
I believe that you will have a more personal feeling if you have your own vampire lord than mannfred. :) I feel the named characters are quite plain in comparison to your own background :)

anyway: Characters riding flying things cannot join units, so mannfredd are all alone on his horse. And since he is alone everyone can target him with shooting/magic. And as he is US2 the enemy wont receive -1 to hit when firing BS-weapons. My advice is to get rid of the hellsteed if possible.

and also; the rules for magical items are ONE per army. ONE talisman of lycni and so on.
In addition; you may not give a named character any magical items. He must be used as he is.

I would suggest;

Lvl3 vampire lord
vampiric powers; Forbidden lore, Lord of the dead, and master of the black arts.
magic items: Helm of Command, Skullstaff.

This is a caster lord, having 5 pd on his own, able to raise skeletons above starting size and having +1 to cast and dispel, so he raises D6 skeletons on 3+.

He is somewhat cheaper than mannfred, and not having the same amount of protection. But since it seems like caster lord are your choice they should never be in combat anyway. :) The helm of command is invaluable to an VC horde army and that alone is a reason to ignore any named character.

then I would like to see 2 hero vampires, one tooled for combat and one for magic. That should be enough characters (unless you really really want the drachenhof banner, but is really expensive.)

And also, get rid of one of the corpsecart, they are not as effective as one mght think. Use those 100pts to increase your GG to 20.

Flightleader
17-12-2008, 13:06
This is true...

Second Vampire is meant to read:

Vampire: Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead,The Flayed Hauberk, Sword of Kings
@ 195

I copy pasted and forgot to correct it. (has been corrected above) Mannfred is allowed up to 2 Arcane Items in his entry under the Lords section of the book so I gave him a dark periapt

I agree about the Vampire Lord being more personnal, but like you said you can't double up on stuff and although he is a named charcter I will not be using him as Mannfred. and his skills and abilities are close enough to what I want.

I'd like to fit a Helm of Commandment in there but alas no points :(

Thanks for the help! I'm going to sleep on it and see if I get a brain wave on trying to fit what i'd like in there and see if I can develop the theme a bit more.

Cheers,

Flightleader

Defender of Ulthuan
17-12-2008, 23:16
I have to agree; drop Mannfred!

While Mannfred is the 'caster extraordinare' of the Vamps list, I have a Vamp Lord here for you who will do all Mannfred does (that you need, anyway) that I like better:

Vampire Lord
+1 Magic Level
Dark Acolyte
Master of the Black arts
Lord of the Dead
Flayed Hauberk (I'd change the other Vamp's Armour to The Accursed Armour or the Armour of Night)
Crimson Gem of Lahmia
Blood Drinker

435 Total. With that extra 85 points you can put a Necromancer on one of your corpse carts with IoN, VHDM, and a Dispel Scroll. You could also (which I would) drop both corpse carts and add a Black Coach (or a Varghulf and give that Necro an additional Dispel Scroll). You can also simply drop one corpse cart, not take the necro, and add another nice unit of BK.

Up to you in the end, as always; hope it helped.
Defender

darkelves99
17-12-2008, 23:53
i dont know about the black knights, what about some fell bats or spirit hosts. Something pesky to get smaller enemy stuff

darkelves99
17-12-2008, 23:54
i now realize that you said no other than skelitons, sorry lol i didnt read