PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Bargain army

==Me==
17-12-2008, 15:43
Hi all, ==Me== here.

I've been looking around for a cheap army and after considering Bretonnians I gave the WoC a second look. The Storm of Steel box is awesome! So I came up with a list using only models from that deal, plus a random Nurgle champion I had lying around.

Lords/Heroes
Chaos Lord-Daemonic Mount, Mark of Tzeentch, Sword of Might, Chaos Runeshield, Collar of Khorne, Favor of the Gods, Bloodcurdling Roar
Chaos Sorceror-level 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Bronze Armor of Zhrakk, Third Eye of Tzeentch
Chaos Sorceror-level 2, Mark of Nurgle, Infernal Puppet, Enchanted Shield
Exalted Hero-shield, great weapon, Mark of Nurgle, Black Tongue

Core
Chaos Warriors-12, shields and great weapons, Mark of Nurgle, musician, standard
Chaos Warriors-12, shields, Mark of Tzeentch, full command, Rapturous Standard
Marauders-25, shields and light armor, full command, Mark of Slaanesh
Marauder Horsemen-5, flails, musician, Mark of Slaanesh
Warhounds-5
Warhounds-5

Special
Chaos Knights-5, Mark of Tzeentch, full command, Blasted Standard

Rare
Chaos Spawn-2

Total-2245
Models-75

The Lord goes with the Knights to form the uber unit. MR2, 1+ save, 4+ ward against shooting, 6+ ward in combat, and their ridiculous hitty power. The Nurgle chars go with the Nurgle Warriors to form a second wave with the Marauders and Tzeentchy warriors. The Sorcs can get off some spells with 7 PD and only 4 DD is combined with the Tongue and Puppet plus the Lord's MR. The Nurgley Warriors are for foightin! while the Tzeentchy warriors are more defensively minded. Marauders provide some cheap SCR, Horsies go after war machines, and dogs screen. Spawn can protect flanks.

I know it isn't the ideal set up with only 2 fast units, but do you think it could work? Any other ideas for using the contents of the box (5 Knights, 5 Horsies, 10 dogs, 2 spawn, 24 Warriors, 52 Marauders, Lord on horsy, Nurgle Sorc, Tz Sorc) and the spare Nurgle champion I have?

Thanks

Malorian
17-12-2008, 16:00
Ya that box is amazing... I'm currently still trying to resist it...

Only things I'd change is put mark of khorne on the marauder horsemen and make the lord a bit more offensive.

==Me==
17-12-2008, 16:22
How about Runesword and Collar of Khorne, not sure what do with the rest?

Frenzied Fast Cav are rather hard to control yes?

I was also considering making him a mounted Sorc Lord or downgrading to an Exalted and having a Tzeentchy Sorc Lord. Would that be better?

Malorian
17-12-2008, 19:03
Frenzied fast cav are hard to control, but they are cheap and yet still can take on block on their own without much luck (10 Str 5 attacks really hurt!).

Sidorio
18-12-2008, 03:34
yeah, those frenzied fast cavalry pack a punch when they hit... but the can be led astray or beaten down from the second round of combat assuming there is one.

==Me==
19-12-2008, 03:59
I've been doing some thinking, and it turns out a cav heavy army would end up significantly cheaper.

I'm thinking of 4 boxes of Knights and 4 boxes of Marauder Horsemen. I'd convert characters from the Knights, leaving 3 units of 5-6 Knights, 4 units of 5 Horsemen, and 10 Hounds I have spare. It ends up almost $75 cheaper.

Will get an actual list up and running soon, but any thoughts on the cav army would be most welcome.

Jericho
19-12-2008, 05:06
Just thought I'd let you know that the cav army can get away with being light on magic, since you'll be engaged so fast. It's still a little risky, but you can really focus on the offense and probably still get away with it.

Sidorio
19-12-2008, 05:21
yeah, cavalry lists work well and a little tip if your interested, chariots are really good and pack one hell of a punch.

==Me==
19-12-2008, 15:01
How about this?

Heroes
Exalted Hero-Mark of Khorne, barded warhorse, shield, Axe of Khorne, Favor of the Gods, Bloodcurdling Roar
Exalted Hero-Mark of Nurgle, barded warhorse, flail, shield, The Black Tongue
Sorceror-level 2, Mark of Tzeentch, barded warhorse, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll
Sorceror-level 2, Mark of Slaanesh, barded warhorse, Infernal Puppet, Spell Familiar (or Bronze Armor of Zhrakk)

Core
Marauder Horsemen-5, flails, Mark of Khorne, musician
Marauder Horsemen-5, light armor, throwing axes, Mark of Tzeentch, musician
Marauder Horsemen-5, flails, Mark of Slaanesh, musician
Marauder Horsemen-5, flails, Mark of Slaanesh, musician
Chaos Warhounds-5
Chaos Warhounds-5

Special
Chaos Knights-6, Mark of Tzeentch, full command, Blasted Standard
Chaos Knights-5, Mark of Nurgle, full command, Banner of Rage
Chaos Knights-5, lances, Mark of Khorne, full command

Total-2242 (if I have ==My== math right)
Models-50
Cost- $176 :D

The Khorne and Nurgle Heroes go with their respective Knight units and tear things up, while the Sorcs go with the Marauders. 3 frenzied units should be too difficult to keep track of with the fast cav and warhounds and I've got a good bit of magic defense and offense if need be.