PDA

View Full Version : 2K Vamps; First "Real" Go

Defender of Ulthuan
18-12-2008, 00:20
Now, I've played a few games as vamps, defeated vamps on several occasions, and seen them play quite a few times. This is the first serious game, however, that I'm going to be playing as Vampire Counts. I mean serious; if I win I get a shiny new box of Grave Guard, and if he wins I've got to buy him a box of his choosing up to $35 (a little Christmas wager I've come up with). Because it was my idea, I like a challenge, and I was going to get him something anyway, I made the rules to his advantage. He knows what army I'm going to use, I have no idea which of his 5 he'll be using, and His 'gift' will be more expensive than mine. I would still like to win, though, so here it goes:

General:
165-Vampire: DA, AoD (HA+Sh.), Sword of Might
Retinue (Special):
259-17x Grave Guard: Full Command, War Banner

Heroes:
185-Vampire: DA, LotD, Cadaverous Cuirass, Tomb Blade
85-Necromancer: IoN, RD, Sceptre de Noirot
Retinue (Core):
156-17x Skeleton Warriors: Full Command

Hero:
155-Vampire: Summon Creatures of the Night, Armour of Night, Biting Blade, Talisman of Lycni

Core:
80-20x Zombies
80-20x Zombies
(Skeleton Warriors above)

Special:
180-5x Black Knights: Full Command
180-5x Black Knights: Full Command
100-5x Fell Bats
(Grave Guard above)

Rare:
200-Black Coach
175-Varghulf

Total-2000pts

Let me know what you think ASAP; as always, any sugguestions/criticisms to the list are taken with the greatest gratitude.

Defender

Malorian
18-12-2008, 15:35
First of all you want a vampire lord to be your general. Generals are two important to VC and that extra toughness and wound are critical.

The black coach (200 point corpse cart) is not really worth it to be honest. If he takes anything with str7 or more it will be a total waste, and if he doesn't it's all a gamble on how quickly it powers up.

Full command on the knights isn't needed. Drop the champ and musician and get another knight. You might actually want to join these units together and give them a nice magic banner (if you do join them together then the musician will be worth it, and if you join a character the champ would be worth it).

The big thing is if there is a chance of your opponent taking deamons. If not then etheral bomb could be the best way to go.

There really is a lot that can done with this list to make it more powerful. PM me if you want more.

VC Doke
18-12-2008, 15:40
I think the "Corpse Cart" is meant to be the black coach.

I'm all for making a hero level vampire you general in 2000, but you need to think about better protection since he's got one less T and W. Give him the Bloody Hauberk. This will give him a respectable 2+ HtH AS and 5+ WS.

Give your loner vampire a sword of battle to help get resolution when running around with the bats.

Buy musicans for the zombies. It's just good policy :D

Otherwise good list, have fun.

Defender of Ulthuan
18-12-2008, 16:39
Yes, I meant the Black Coach :p

alex17
18-12-2008, 17:21
all i can say is that you need a lord

Stronginthearm
19-12-2008, 03:50
I would combine the two black knight units myself but thats probably more preferencial and would also drop the zombies with enough vampires and necromancers its easy enough to raise them high enough to be a threat without having to use points to have them begin on the field if you need core choices i would go with more skellies which cannot be raised and are better, would also find a way to add in wraiths as they are crazy awesome and so much fun when charging somebody with little magic, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT DO ANYTHING TO THEM?"
hehehehe

Defender of Ulthuan
19-12-2008, 04:32
2.0- Not entirely sure I like it better; I feel that its a bit cheesier, and I still don't think I have enough units on the table... Here it goes, anyway:

General:
165-Vampire: DA, AoD (HA+Sh.), Sword of Might
Retinue (Special):
259-17x Grave Guard: Full Command, War Banner

Hero:
185-Vampire: DA, LotD, Cadaverous Cuirass, Tomb Blade
Retinue (Core):
156-17x Skeleton Warriors: Full Command

Hero:
107-Wight King: Barded Skeletal Steed, Lance
Retinue:
317-9x Black Knights: Full Command, Hellish Vigor Banner

Hero:
185-Vampire: AoD, Summon Creatures of the Night, Armour of Night, Sword of Battle, Talisman of Lycni

Core:
84-20x Zombies: Musician
80-20x Zombies
(Skeleton Warriors above)

Special:
100-5x Fell Bats
(Black Knights Above)
(Grave Guard above)

Rare:
175-Varghulf
175-Varghulf

Total-1998pts.

Any Better?
Defender

madival
19-12-2008, 05:52
You want a lord. You want better core then zombie. You want better thing then black coach.You want to free up point by not taking full comand with black knights. you want to take those fell bats and mak your core better and change wat type they are. you want all your core to be skeletons and your vamps to summon them up. You want a unit of blood knights to kill anything they touch.You will want your grave guard more beefed to autobreak. you want lots of stuff but you will have to figure that out.

VC Doke
20-12-2008, 05:20
You want a lord. You want better core then zombie. You want better thing then black coach.You want to free up point by not taking full comand with black knights. you want to take those fell bats and mak your core better and change wat type they are. you want all your core to be skeletons and your vamps to summon them up. You want a unit of blood knights to kill anything they touch.You will want your grave guard more beefed to autobreak. you want lots of stuff but you will have to figure that out.

I disagree on ALL points. This army is very viable. All units work well with others.

My only point on the new list is to help out the general, but getting the thing a gem of blood, or cursed armor. Anything that can help it live long with only 2 wounds. You're army won't do well without a general.

BTW, I've played lists with at least one time or another with all of those so called faults, and they've worked great.

Walls
20-12-2008, 18:07
Get a deathstar :) Use a vampire and a banner in a 20 man unit of graveguard. Give them the banner of barrows, give your bsb a warbanner. So much combat res. Oh... wait... just saw your Wight is mounted. Nevermind then! Put him with the black knights, make him a BSB and give him the a warbanner.

I'd say your core units are a bit small. They'll fall apart faster to combat res. I'd try and bump them all up to minimum 20 but at least 25. You can raise zombies.

I generally always take full commands but that's me. At least take a musician to break ties. How do you save the pts? Get rid of a vargulf, you definitely don't need 2.

Of course, this is how I would play it, but best of luck! My only general advice is bigger blocks.

Stronginthearm
21-12-2008, 04:12
for the most part I'd drop zombies and replace with skelitons much better and you can always raise zombies which is very very very (and another very) good thing because they suck alot(cannot emphasize that enough) but make excellent tarpits while other units do their thing, would also find a way get a corpse cart in their because you realy need the ask it offers please note these are both personal preferances rather then must do's I would follow these but it's your army play it how you want to
very nice army list hope it works for you

Aeolthir
22-12-2008, 17:11
Hello there!

I think your first list is really good and can do well against a lot of ennemy.

One thing I could suggest was mentionned before... get a fu*$%? lord because you DONT want your general to die. If he dies, say goodbye to the varghulf, zombies, black coach and knights in no time.

Maybe drop the command on the knight to allow points on a lord.

Other than that i see good magic, good infantry block (skellies and GG) to hold the line, speed (varghulf and bats) and versatility.

If you should face high elves it may be tough if your opponent have great magic defense and a bit shooting. White lions and swordmaster will hurt most of your troops you badly. Spearelves will eat zombies and skellies.

Have a good fight.
Give us some feedback on what you used and what happenend