PDA

View Full Version : The Slavers of Har Ganeth - 1000pts

Sidorio
19-12-2008, 01:09
This is a starter list for darkelves that my friend wrote up. it's his first go so i'm putting it up here with his consent for your opinions on whether the list is viable and stands a chance of winning the occasional games. The theme is a slaver force from Har Ganeth and he's going to convert the models to fit the theme.

So heres the list:

Master=129
- Soulrender
- Blood Armour
- Talismen of Protection
- Sea Dragon Cloak

Death Hag=195
- Banner Bearer
- Dread Banner
- Dance of Doom
- Dark Venom

Slavers (corsairs)=200
- Full Command
- Sea Serpent Banner

Repeater Crossbowmen=115
- Guardmaster
- Standard

7 Harpies=77

10 Executioerns=175
- Full Command
- Banner of Murder

5 Shades=108
- Blood Shade
- Great Weapons

Total=999

Okay... so the Death Hag goes with the Excecutioners and the Master with the Slavers. I know that there isn't a srceress for magic defense, but it has range support and should be able to dish out some hurt.

Any advice the good souls of warseer have for the list is more than welcome. Thanks. :skull:

*** as he just signed up to warseer, the list belongs to Necrnox.

bert n ernie
19-12-2008, 01:38
I have only started with the Dark Elves myself, but I'd have a few suggestions.
If he never intends on getting his Repeater crossbowmen into combat, then why give them a standard and a Guardmaster? These guys should not need those.

Does the death Hag have Dance of Doom, or Touch of Death? Dance of Death doesn't exist.
It seems that she is in that unit just to cause fear. If so Tullaris would be a better cheaper choice (he makes the unit cause fear).
On the other hand if you are looking for a battle standard for re-rolls then perhaps leave out the Dread Banner. There is a lot in the army that causes fear, you should not have to pay 40pts for it. A better banner could be the ASF Hag Graef banner, as the Executioners will not always get the charge.

Can I ask why the shades have great weapons? Are there a lot of high toughness opponents where he plays? He already has one unit with great weapons. The shades might work better harrying the enemy flanks and shooting the weaker units.
If they are in short range they can do a lot of damage with the multi shot crossbows.

The army is generally a bit slow. He may find it difficult to get to grips with shooty armies. If this keeps happening he could free up points and make two 5 strong harpy units.

Sidorio
19-12-2008, 01:43
Ok, i'll fix that up.... now firstly great weapons on shades is a great choice and it is often chosen because of it's ouch factor... and as he's using elves, extra Strength is always useful. i know that crossbows can hurt, but the great weapons will hurt in the flank.

Necronox
19-12-2008, 05:15
with what im most likly to be fighting (yes this is my army list) are high thoughness low saves armies and most are gonna have fear causeing armies not much shooting either.

the shades still keep thier repeting crossbows as well

the death hag is there for the extra wounds and attacks and LD and i thought fear would be more useful but the banner of Hag Graef (it is that isnt it?) might be a better choice.

as for the movment option the amries i would be fighting would be mostly movement 4 with maby occation unit of knights so i have the harpies and shades to deal with them.

im still fairly new to warhammer fantasy being more 40k player

EndlessBug
19-12-2008, 13:48
Firstly I'm personally not a fan of a hag in a unit of executioners unless you give her the ASF banner, this is mostly because she has frenxy, putting her in a unit of none frenzy troops effectively gives you a unit with all the dissadvantages of frenzy without the advantages, and who wants that?

Also a fear causing unit of 11 isn't that great and 40 points to make them immune to fear is expensive, also the hag is so easily killed you'll lose that fear in no time. Might be best to drop the AP banner for 2 more executioners as well, run them in a 7x2 formation, giving you the hag and 7 STR 6 KB attacks a round which are ASF with the Hag Graef banner.

Shades with great weapons = AMAZING, don't drop them please. Though I would drop the blood shade, as you can use these guys to go mage killing, a blood shade would reduce the amount of attacks you'd have.

As has been said, drop the guardmaster and std on RxBs, if you need to use them then they're dead already and you just gave another standard VPs to the enemy.

The master's decent but you'll find yourself better protected and more hitty and better protected with just the crimson death and armour of darkness (130 points in total).

If you do keep the death hag, dropping the dread banenr and taking Hag Graef instead would be better, I'm assuming you mean dance of doom for the 5+ ward? that's good.

I'd also suggest dropping the harpies to 5, 7 isn't really that much better.

So that should give you 60 points to play with, I'd suggest:
2 more shades
3 more Executioners
Shields on the RxBs

To sum up, I'd drop:
Bloodshade
Dread banner (for Hag Graef)
2 Harpies
Banner of murder
Noble (for Noble with crimson death and armour of darkness)

Hydra Dominatus
19-12-2008, 14:04
And with no magic, find the 30 odd points or whatever it takes for the ring of hotek, invaluable bit of defensive kit for its cost, if you have no magic yourself like this army

Necronox
20-12-2008, 07:35
ring of hotek is 30 poitns but i dont see much use for it as its only 12" range
endlessbug your ideas seem alright but i still like my master and im still thinking what to do with if i where to drop the banner for a hag graef one and the repeter crossbow elves standared maby not the guardsmen as he has an extra bs and not extra attack that leaves nearly 15 points to play around with dropping two harpies is 37 points so maby more executioners, blood shade yea may as well drop it but armour pircing attacks at strentgh 6 seem more deadly and add just alittle more reasurence if they fail to kill the models

==Me==
20-12-2008, 19:04
Master=129
- Soulrender
- Blood Armour
- Talismen of Protection
- Sea Dragon Cloak

ToP is worthless. Soulrender+Pendant is a solid set up. Or, go for a mundane great weapon and take the Blood Armor.

Death Hag=195
- Banner Bearer
- Dread Banner
- Dance of Doom
- Dark Venom

Fear causing Execs are super lame, go for the ASF banner. With the leftover points you can swap out for Manbane or Witchbrew.

Slavers (corsairs)=200
- Full Command
- Sea Serpent Banner

I'd go for 18 and run them 6 wide. An assassin would be helpful.

Repeater Crossbowmen=115
- Guardmaster
- Standard

Musician is all you need, standards are free VPs in such a small unit. Shields wouldn't hurt either.

7 Harpies=77

Why 7? Try for 2 units of 5.

10 Executioerns=175
- Full Command
- Banner of Murder

I think 10 Execs is too few, I prefer a MSU style. 2 units of 6 with musicians. That way you won't need the BSB (Frenzied character in a non-frenzied unit give them all the downsides with no benefit).

5 Shades=108
- Blood Shade
- Great Weapons

Get more if you can, these are awesome.

I'd drop the Hag BSB, split the Execs into smaller units and use the leftovers to get some Dark Riders. Alternatively, drop the Execs altogether and spring for some Black Guard, 12 or so with the ASF Banner. The Ring of Hotek is all you need for magic defense if you don't want a Sorc, at such small points levels you can cover your entire army with it and laugh as enemy wizards implode.

kormas
23-12-2008, 06:15
it looks ok, i agree with the idea that 10 exicutioners is not enough to be good, but that is just my opinion.

personaly i agree with not taking hags, they suck.

overall it may be an ok list as loing as you update it a bit.

ps: sidorio, i strongly dissagree with the greatweapons on shades, it is not worth it on a unit that should not get into combat

Necronox
23-12-2008, 07:52
ok thanks every one for your imput ive redone my list and ill let all you cheerful people pick at it and tell me what should be fixed up.

Master:
Soul Rend:
blood armour:
talismen of protection:
sea dragon cloak:

Warriors x15 :
lording :
musican :
shields :

slavers (corsairs) x15:
reaver:
musician:
banner:
sea serpent banner:

repeatercrossbow elves x10:
guardmaster:

Harpies x5:

Harpies x5:

executioners x15:
draich-master:
musician:
standard:
banner of murder:

Shades x5:
blood shade:
great weapons:

same thing as last time with the master still being in the corsair unit. i have decided to keep some things but i agree on secound look the hag 1. cost me alot 2. would probly lose my shock unit 3. wouldent do much in combat
i decided to go for two harpies units to pester any cannons or other nastys from the darwf player at our club, and also slow down some cavalry.

would a sorceress be of any benift of this style of army to try slow down magic from afar (ring of hotek has to short a range for my liking) any thourghts would be great

Sidorio
23-12-2008, 08:32
yeah, a sorceress would help for magic protection or a seal of ghrond for the dispel dice.

at kormas; alot of people plan for a unit not to get into combat, but it happens and the great weapons will help it to live, plus alot of people support them especialy with the statline of shades, they have alot of skill with both ranged and combat phases.

==Me==
23-12-2008, 14:44
Magic might give you problems, but if you throw the Ring of Hotek in there it shouldn't be too bad. You can give you Master the Ring and the Armor of Darkness with a mundane great weapon, good protection and hitting power with that lovely magic defense.

I'd try and bump the spearmen up to 20 at least and add a standard.

Corsairs and Execs should be run 6 wide to maximize attacks, leave rank bonuses to your cheap spearmen. 12 is a good number, so you can drop a couple to get more spearmen.

Necronox
23-12-2008, 23:52
the ring isnt that good in my eyes its a short range and dont offer much protection from bloody vamps raising more units unless hes mounted on a flying mount i dont see much point to it.
This is only 1000 points so i can add more later i just thourght 1000 seems like a good starting block so ill convert/paint the army then think about adding more

==Me==
24-12-2008, 00:30
You are right on that, the Ring isn't going to do much against Invocation spamming VCs, but it works a treat against everyone else. Remember that it affects all your units within 12", so with a centrally placed Ring bearer you can cover a good portion of your army. Against VCs, set the Corsairs loose and kill off his General (Assassing with Killing Blow do great).

Mythrider
24-12-2008, 08:06
I`ve been playing DE for a long time, still getting used to the new book but most of this comes from experience (my comments in italics):

Master:
Soul Rend:
blood armour:
talismen of protection:
sea dragon cloak:

Get rid of the ToP, it`s a waste of points. Replace it with a Dark Steed; there is no reason or excuse to not put all Masters on a mount of some kind. I would use the following Master: dark steed, heavy armour, shield, SDC, Deathpiercer = 129

Warriors x15 :
lording :
musican :
shields :

Nothing wrong with this.

slavers (corsairs) x15:
reaver:
musician:
banner:
sea serpent banner:

I would take 18 in a 6*3 formation. Replace the SSS with the Banner of Murder. If you`re worried about magic defence you could drop the magic banners completely and take the Ring of Hotek.

repeatercrossbow elves x10:
guardmaster:

Guardmaster is a waste, give them shields.

Harpies x5:

Harpies x5:

Good.

executioners x15:
draich-master:
musician:
standard:
banner of murder:

Get rid of the BoM, with S6 atacks you don`t need more AP. Take a unit of 14 arranged 7*2. Use the points from the 1 Exec and the BoM to get the 3 Corsairs from above.

Shades x5:
blood shade:
great weapons:

Great weapons are a good investment. Bloodshade upgrade is a very bad investment, drop the upgrade and up the unit size to 6, gives you more shooting.

You should go to Druchii.net and read up on all things DE.

bert n ernie
25-12-2008, 00:26
the ring isnt that good in my eyes its a short range and dont offer much protection from bloody vamps raising more units unless hes mounted on a flying mount i dont see much point to it.
This is only 1000 points so i can add more later i just thourght 1000 seems like a good starting block so ill convert/paint the army then think about adding more

I now understand why the ring doesn't seem so useful.
Single dice spells don't suffer much, but any spell that your opponent needs to get through that costs 5 or more to cast would have trouble with this item.
The 12" includes anywhere he targets, or where the wizard casts from. That means that the only spells camps will be getting off safely is the invocation. Venhels Dance Macaber will become risky.
Unless you are playing mostly vamp players who only use invocation, Tomb King players and dwarves the ring is more efficient than an extra dispell dice by a long shot. It nullifies irresistible forces that are cast with two sixes.

Generally the list is starting to look quite good,
Good luck.