PDA

View Full Version : Skaven vs high elves. 1000 pts.

GuyLeCheval
19-12-2008, 16:36
Today I had a battle against my High-elf-playin' friend.

I brought my army consisting of 20 plague monks with banner og burning hatred, 20 clanrats w. spears + assassin with Skavenbrew, 20 clanrats with plague priest w. liber bubonicus.
I also had a 9 men night runners screen, 5 tunnelers, a warplock engineer and a warp-fire thrower.

He brought, AFAIK, a dragon mage w. silver staf, 15 spearman, 10 archers, 1 repeater bolt thrower, 6 silver helms and 5 shadow warriors.
A very elite army, so I had to play carefull.

Quikkit saw his army. Enough to beat those cowardly high elves, he thought. However, he was a bit worried about that bright red dragon he saw right in front of him. His Skaven also seemed a bit worried. He kicked the skaven in front of him forwards to get his army on the move...

Sadir saddled his horse. They had to stop those Skaven before they would destroy their holy shrine. He looked at the dragon mage, right atop his mighty dragon. His hart full of courage, they began to move towards the Skaven line.

He got the first turn.

He deploys his army in one line, as mine. Night runners stand as a screen to the Clanrats with spears and plague monks. He deploys his Shadow warriors behind my line.

HE turn 1
His spearman and Silver helms move up, as well his dragon mage. The rest keeps in his line.
His Dragon mage tries to cast flaming skull spell, but I manage do dispell it. (13 to 14)
His bolt thrower misses target. His archers kill 3 night runners and they flee. (goodbye screen) and I pass panic in clanrats.
Stupiditly enough, he forgets about his shadow warriors

Skaven turn 1
My whole line moves up, except for my Warplock engineer, who tries to cast warp lighting at the shadow warriors.. He miscasts..., ... but no casualities.
No shooting in my turn.

HE turn 2
His only move was the dragon mage moving somewhat back.
This time, he manage to cast a fireball, which kills a plaguemonk.
He doesn't feel confident about the single bolt anymore, so he shoot down another 2 plague monks with repeating shots. His archers miss.
(again he forgot to shoot at the warplock engineer with his Shadow warriors

Skaven turn 2
Gutter runners don't manage to get out of the ground.
My line moves up again. The warplock engineer managed to cast... nothing. (hmpf). Again there was no shooting.

HE turn 3 (big turn.)
Allright, here we go:
Dragon mage flies behind my lines, ready to give a rear charge.
The silver helms charge the clanrats with spears and an assassin jmps out and feeds the unit with Skavenbrew. They now become hatred.
The spearman charge the other clanrats. (I had my troops maneuvred such, that he had to charge. Other wise he would be flamed by the warpfire thrower). I dispelled Flaming sword of Rhuin.
The dragon breathes 8 hits, but no wounds to my plague monks.
The shadow warriors finally shoot at my Warplock Engineer and scored an wound. His bolt thrower killed again 2 plague monks.
Then the combat. My assassin challenged his champion. He declined.
My assassin then killed another silver helm, while his silver helms killed 1 clanrat, as do their horses. The hatred spear-clanrats kill and 2 elves in return. Clanrats nearly overrun the Silver helms.
Spearmancombat: He kills a clanrat, my heroes kill a Spearman. My clanrats don't. Clanrats didn't manage to overrun.
(the battle was decided here.)

Skaven turn 3
The gutter runners still don't come out. The plague monks charge the Arhers. He flees. The clanrats charge through the silverhelms, overrunning them, into the bolt thrower. He flees again. My clanrats overrun the spearman. (He called this laughing a 'tactical retreat.')
The damn Warplock engineer still didn't cast anything at the Shadow warriors. The flamethrower shoots a burst at the dragon mage. It didn't harm his dragon, but killed the Mage.

At this point, he gives up.

Cutting down the last spearman, Quikkit saw the high elf army in flight. He roared from his victory at the sky.

Sadir was terrified. That assassin cut down his best friend. He turned around, in an flight. Then he felt pain. Stucking pain. An poisoned warpstar had tored it in his back. He fell. Everything went black...

Needless to say, he was unlucky with his dice rolls, while I kept rolling statistically.
Everything went from plan, he kept shooting at my plague monks, while my clanrats were a much more dangerous unit. But he didn't know that, because my assassin was hidden.:angel:

Foegnasher
19-12-2008, 18:30
a great victory, but i must admit, i dont think htat skavenbrew works that way. it happens at the beginning of the battle, not when your assassin is revealed. might be one for the GW rulz boyz.

Feefait
19-12-2008, 23:24
I think you choose a turn to use skavenbrew. but i could be off base here.

Nice victory. Thats the best thing about skaven, if you can just avoid the big round of bad rolls and keep it consistent they are hard to beat. I keep wanting to play my friends HE's with my Skaven we just seem to miss our opporunities. I am so NOT afraid of them with Skaven.

Glad to see the Warpfire thrower. This has always been my favorite since way back in 2nd ed. I actually have like 8 or 9 from when you could field them in units. Now I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 in a game, factoring ina couple ratling guns too. BUt against an army like He which will probably try to stand there and let oyu charge those spearmen they are fantastic.

madbomber23
19-12-2008, 23:31
Sadir was terrified. That assassin cut down his best friend. He turned around, in an flight. Then he felt pain. Stucking pain. An poisoned warpstar had tored it in his back. He fell. Everything went black...:

...when Imrik drops out of the sky predator style and lances him in the back

GuyLeCheval
20-12-2008, 17:20
I thought you could activate skavenbrew in any of your turns AND at the beginning of any close combat phase. So when the silver helms charged, I revealed the assassin, who fed skavenbrew to the clanrats and now he had to fight against hatred spearman and a hatred assassin...

Thanks for the reactions!

Feefait
23-12-2008, 04:36
actually he was right. dkavenbrew is done at the beginning of the battle. it's partly why i don't use it, i just couldnt remember why i dont use it. then i read it and i realize i would either roll a 1 or a 6, neither of which i can afford to spend 50 points on. thats 2 damn ranks of clanrats. MUCH more worth it.

orkz222
23-12-2008, 14:38
The dragon breathes 8 hits, but no wounds to my plague monks.

The flamethrower shoots a burst at the dragon mage. It didn't harm his dragon, but killed the Mage.

wao, wish i had those luck :eek:

belail146
01-01-2009, 15:42
I don't really know anything about skaven but for high elves he shouldn't of had a dragon mage he should have just taken two mage and a banner of sahpery somewhere in there and he could just sit back and let mages do some work

GuyLeCheval
01-01-2009, 16:08
I don't know anything of that banner, but I had 4 dispel dices and so maybe only 2 spells a turn could go through. Usually that isn't enough to stop 60+ rats from hitting your main line.

(Besides bad panic rolls, on a LD9/8)