PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves 1k

silveryfox
19-12-2008, 23:11
Played fantasy back when I was a kid. But damn I like Dark Elves, so I'm back and after flipping through the new Army Book I tried to make a decent 1k army. I've always been a fan of small elite armies, so that's what I'm going for.

At 1k it feels like going for magic or ignore it. Is that right? Any exceptions?
So with that thought I instead invested in some magic defense for my main unit, the Black Guards (damn, they seem very very good).

Core units for Dark Riders, for harassing and maybe get that flank charge once in a while.

Hydra, because, just because, made an alternative with some Harpies and Shades instead of Hydra. Will probably paint up both, but since I'm a slow painter, what will benefit me the most?

I'm slightly over in both armies, could drop a Sea Dragon Cloak on one of the characters maybe...

Dark Elves

Master @ 122
2 Null Talismans
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak

Master, BSB @ 163
Pendant of Khaeleth
Soulrender
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon cloak

5 Dark Riders + RxB, Musician @ 117

16 Black Guard, Full Command @ 309
Banner of Hag Graef
Ring of Hotek

War Hydra @ 175

Army @ 1001

Alt.

Master @ 122
2 Null Talismans
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak

Master, BSB @ 163
Pendant of Khaeleth
Soulrender
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon cloak

5 Harpies @ 55
5 Harpies @ 55

14 Black Guard, Full Command @ 283
Banner of Hag Graef
Ring of Hotek

5 Shades @ 80

Army @ 1002

Maybe I could squeeze in one or two 500pts games before 1k, any ideas for lists there, using things I will need in a 1k list?

silveryfox
20-12-2008, 00:31
Whilst I'm at it, I did a 2250 army list as well.

First I tried with an 4th level Sorceress on Dragon, but I had trouble fitting everything in then so I went with some scroll magic defense as well as the Null Talismans on the Black Guards.

Dreadlord @ 564
Black Dragon
Pendant of Khaeleth
Armour of Eternal Servitude
Crimson Death
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield

Master, BSB @ 135 w. Black Guards
2 Null Talisman
Soulrender
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield

Sorceress Lv. 1 @ 150 w. Black Guards
2 Dispel Scrolls

5 Harpies @ 55
5 Harpies @ 55

19 Black Guard, Full Command @ 355
Banner of Hag Graef
Ring of Hotek

6 Shades @ 85
Great Weapons

with.
Assassin @ 146
Rune of Khaine
Manbane
2 Hand Weapons

War Hydra @ 175
War Hydra @ 175

Army @ 2250

==Me==
20-12-2008, 06:16
The first two lists could do well without the BSB. At that point level, the Ring is really all you need. I'd give your Master the Soulrender and Pendant with full mundane kit. The points left from the BSB can go towards some Crossbowmen or a unit of cheap spearmen.

The 2250 list looks mean, all I'd do is kit out your Dreadlord with the Armor of Darkness instead of Regen. Regen and the super ward is simply overkill, and you can spend the points to trick out your Assassin or get more Shades.

I think you're missing out on a lot by min-maxing your Core choices. Every Core unit is useful and I often use quite a few. Spearmen make for excellent cheap combat res or a nice magic battery for a Sorceress with the Sacrificial dagger. Crossbowmen provide lots of firepower for cheap. Corsairs are very flexible. Dark Riders and Harpies are awesome.

VVar
20-12-2008, 07:01
Your lists are all excellent for being first tries, and the 2250 list you posted I've played multiple times. Only difference is that I give one master armor of darkness+gw+RoH, he's significantly harder to kill. Also consider giving your lord deathpiercer (don't forget CD is two hands, so as soon as you hit combat you're losing a save point), and the crimson death going on BG champ. Makes the BG unit hit pretty damn hard, and although it's a points sink, it's also an effective points denial.

Edit: forgot to mention, but I'd definitely take a hydra in any 1k game you play if being competitive is your goal, they are astoundingly good for their points

silveryfox
20-12-2008, 13:32
I removed the Master carrying Null Talismans and added Harpies and Shades.
Won't a heavy magic army really hurt me, or isn't it that dangerous at such low levels?

Dark Elves

Master, BSB @ 163
Pendant of Khaeleth
Soulrender
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon cloak

5 Harpies @ 55

15 Black Guard, Full Command @ 290
Banner of Hag Graef
Ring of Hotek

5 Shades @ 80

War Hydra @ 175

Army @ 997

silveryfox
21-12-2008, 15:12
I removed the Master carrying Null Talismans and added Harpies and Shades.
Won't a heavy magic army really hurt me, or isn't it that dangerous at such low levels?

Dark Elves

Master, BSB @ 163
Pendant of Khaeleth
Soulrender
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon cloak

5 Harpies @ 55

15 Black Guard, Full Command @ 290
Banner of Hag Graef
Ring of Hotek

5 Shades @ 80

War Hydra @ 175

Army @ 997

Is this an ok list?

==Me==
21-12-2008, 17:27
Your BSB can't be your general, you need another character.

silveryfox
29-12-2008, 02:37
New starting army. Dagger wielding Sorceress with Warriors. I figured using 1 die to cast Power of Darkness and when failing, sacrificing a Warrior to roll another die, thus building power dices to shoot some magic missiles. Not totally reliable, but I'm eager to try it.

Master goes with Black Guard. Will probably win against most things. What is best for the Master, pendant or regenerate?

Harpies and Riders for some disrupt and the Hydra to draw away attention from the Black Guards.

Sorceress @ 125
Sacrificial Dagger

Master @ 163
Pendant of Khaeleth or Armour of Eternal Servitude
Soulrender
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon cloak

17 Dark Elves Warriors @ 141
Full Command
Shields

5 Harpies @ 55

13 Black Guard, Full Command @ 229
Banner of Hag Graef

War Hydra @ 175

Army @ 998

==Me==
29-12-2008, 03:32
I think you'll need more Warriors to get the most use out of the Sacrificial Dagger. Upgrading your Sorc to level 2 and getting rid of the Harpies could net you 3 more Warriors.

aimbob
29-12-2008, 11:21
I figured using 1 die to cast Power of Darkness and when failing, sacrificing a Warrior to roll another die, thus building power dices to shoot some magic missiles. Not totally reliable, but I'm eager to try it.

Make the sorc level 2:

more power dice
more spells available
better resistance against miscast
more spells can be cast