PDA

View Full Version : A few VC questions

SMann233
20-12-2008, 03:15
Hey folks, thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these for me.

I'm fairly new to WHFB, but have been playing 40k for sometime now. I picked up VCs as my first army here, and a couple questions have come up at the store, which I cannot get a consensus from the more experienced players on.

1) I know that in order to be able to take a magic weapon or armor piece for a model, you need to have access to the mundane pieces. On a Vampire Lord's profile, he's listed as only having a hand weapon, and does not have specific armor or other weapon upgrades listed there. Rather, they're listed under the Vampiric Powers of Avatar of Death and Dread Knight. In order to take weapons that are marked as a specific weapon type (e.g. Dreadlance, which is listed as "Lance. All attacks from the Dreadlance hit automatically.") must the VLord pay for Dread Knight first? Same question for Magic armors.

If yes, does that mean the combination of Dreadlance, ZDragon, Nightshroud, Red Fury, is impossible? (given that the FAQ states you must use the standard Nightmare if you take Dread Knight - for that matter, only the armor specifically allows an override to DK; can you even swap the lance if its a prereq?)

2) With regard the Nightshroud, what exactly counts as a "chraging bonus"? I personally (as the biased player) contend that it includes not only things such as +2 strength for Lances and other charging rules, but Impact hits and going first in combat. Is that correct?

(Sub question to that - if the model wearing the Nightshroud is by himself - there are *NO OTHER TARGETS POSSIBLE* on the charge, does the charging unit even get its double-distance move?)

3) To me, this one seemed silly... but I couldn't find anything in the BRB to confirm or specifically contradict him, so... in the case of a wizard that knows all spells from multiple lores, such as Manfred von Carstein (who knows all the Lore of Vamps and the Lore of Death), are you restricted to using the spells from just one lore for the purposes of the game? Or can you select from all spells from both lores?

Thanks in advance folks. Sorry if these come off as straight up newb questions.

Fellblade
20-12-2008, 04:32
1) Its somewhat fuzzy, but the commonly accepted practice (around here anyway) is the Vamp can take any magic gear. The argument being, vampires DO have "access" to lances and such because they can buy the bloodline power. The answer for magic armor is easy: top of page 85 in the army book says you can.
If there were a magic spear, bow, flail, or something like that in the VC book you'd be able to argue a vampire could not take those items because there isn't anything you to do to make it possible.

2) Yes. Lance strength bonus, getting to swing first, and things of that nature are all charging bonuses and are lost... remember that only applies when attacks are directed at the vampire.
I forget if it was in the FAQ or not, but is a vampire is on his own and charged by a chariot, I believe the impact his are considered a charging bonus and are also lost. If a fleeing chariot runs him over, its no longer a charge so he'd take the damage.
I would say the double movement on a charge is NOT a charging bonus, its simply the definition of what a charge is on pg21. On the other hand, if the unit has a magic standard that grants them bonus movement on the charge, that bonus would be lost of the vampire was on his own. If the vamp was in a unit, the charge is against the unit and not specifically the vampire.
The ability to overrun is probably considered a charging bonus as well and if any models attacked the vampire they'd likely be ineligible to make an overrun move.... but you might want a second opinion on this.

3) Manfred knows 13 spells and can cast any of them. They use the word "and" when referring to his spell knowledge. Other characters may behave differently, so take it on a case by case basis.

Necromancy Black
20-12-2008, 05:17
I'd disagree with what Fellblade said in point 2 that a banner that adds extra mvoement on the charge is a charge bonus, simply because in a situation where the distance bonus is needed to get into base contact with the vampire you can't negate the charge bonus without the bonus first being used to create the situation in which it would be negated.

...yeah, not sure how that one works...

Everything else I agree with. extra strength on the charge, impact hits, stirking first, all that would be negated (remember things like Hatred and Flails give similiar bonus' but do not really on charging).

As for point 3, when they say manfred knows all those spells, it's the same as if he had 13 spells to choose and rolled for everyone one he could get. So he has 13 spells he can choose to cast from each turn. You don't have to roll to choose them at the start.

Fellblade
20-12-2008, 07:04
in a situation where the distance bonus is needed to get into base contact with the vampire you can't negate the charge bonus without the bonus first being used to create the situation in which it would be negated.

...yeah, not sure how that one works...

For a generic situation, its very much not clear and the vamp would need to be on his own. For something like that you'd need to read the item pretty closely.
The way I look at it, any time a rule refers to "when charging", that's probably a bonus. The double distance thing is simply a definition of what a charge is, so its not a bonus.

WLBjork
20-12-2008, 07:43
1) I know that in order to be able to take a magic weapon or armor piece for a model, you need to have access to the mundane pieces. On a Vampire Lord's profile, he's listed as only having a hand weapon, and does not have specific armor or other weapon upgrades listed there.

This is only true for Magical Armour.

Magic Weapons can be taken by anyone with access to magic items.

As for Vamps and Magic Armour, as the others say, the text right before the Magic Armours are listed are alll you need.