PDA

View Full Version : Would this be shooting myself in the foot

Mazdug
20-12-2008, 04:38
Would a nurgle themed cav army like this have any chance of doing well? I'm not really likely to play it, but I was curious what people thought. I've seen a number of cav lists around, but not many of them making the sad attempt to kling to a single mark of chaos.

Exalted Hero of Nurgle, Barded Steed, Shield, Chaos Runesword
Sorceror of Nurgle, level 2, Barded Steed

Chaos Warhounds x5
Chaos Warhounds x5
Chaos Warhounds x5

Marauder Horsemen of Nurgle, Full Command, Shield + Spears x5

Chaos Knights of Nurgle, Full Command x 5

To be honest, if I get around to stripping, re-assembling and repainting my chaos models, its likely that I will try and develop a more competitive list, and will just theme it nurgle and explain carefully to my opponents what everything is before hand, but I do love simplicity, and the above list would save me from having to worry about remembering any magic items or differences between units.

==Me==
20-12-2008, 06:20
That stuff gets expensive fast and with max Ld8 you will run into problems with psychology, but otherwise it looks fine.

I'd give one unit of Knights the Frenzy banner to ensure at least one unit gets across the board. Blasted Standard is another good one. The Infernal Puppet/Black Tongue combo is too good to ignore for magic defense and your Sorcs can still use magic weapons considering they have to challenge anyway.

The Horsemen work best with flails I find, run in and smack something around with little concern for survival! Something survivey for your General wouldn't hurt either, Crown of Conquest with full mundane is fine.

VVar
20-12-2008, 06:37
That's extremely similar to the list I just posted a few threads down, the only two differences are your marks, general, and taking full command.

As for critique..number one, full command on marauder horsemen is a gigantic waste. Take musi at most, and flails are probably your best bet for weapon choice. Also to note, for a themed army going all nurgle is fine...but the mark doesn't benefit some units nearly as well as others would (for example, Mok or MoS on marauder horsemen, and MoK with jugger on your exalted hero would likely be better choices in a more competitive list)

Number two...you may as well take infernal puppet on one of your casters. It's easy to load up on items, as I did my list, but if you want to go the minimalist route that's one item definitely worth taking.

Number three...as the above poster said, your general needs a second layer of protection. Without going tzeetnch+ward item route, I agree with the crown as your best bet. Then just give him a mundane wep (flail or halberd).

Mazdug
20-12-2008, 20:37
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that the shield+spear combo would make for slightly more survivable marauder horsemen, but I suppose a flail + light armour would give an equal save and a better charge. Also, dropping the command on those horsemen units makes a lot of sense, and might save me enough points to get infernal puppet (I'll have to look at the book again, the points where pretty tight, this list came to 1998).

Do you think the champions for the knights units are a waste? at 20 pts for an extra attack, it seems rather steep to me, but I was including them so that when some tooled up dwarf lord challenged, my sorcerors wouldn't have to suffer the ignoble fate of eating stunty axe.

I know people swear by magic standards, but I'm inclined to trying to keep my points down while keeping my number of units up. Are the really that much of a necessity with all the screening units?