PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in helping me design a dungeon based game?

Hlokk
26-11-2005, 16:43
Hi guys

Well, Im thinking of creating a dungeon based games system, comparable to WHQ and talisman, but with much simpler, fluid rules, a FF VII style upgrade system, no cards to use (Everything will be done by dice roles). Essentially, all the players will need is a board, models and the core rules.

The key objectives I've set myself for this set of rules are:

1: Ability to play stand alone games as well as complex ones
2: Fast speed of play ie: Explore a dungeon in an hour or so
3: Solo rules
4: No need for GM: everything is done via dice roles on tables
5: Completely new background. Not based on GW's stuff at all. May well have a word with nurgle_boy and see if I can use some of his stuff.

So what do you guys think? does this seem viable? Does it seem like something you'd be interested in doing?

Let me know

Tom - Heretic
26-11-2005, 16:51
Sounds cool - I advise having a look at the old warhammer quest rules, if you haven't already. Your "treatment" sounds similar to it.

Good luck, and keep us all informed of your progress :)

Renka
27-11-2005, 00:45
Well, if it's help you want I could gladly lend you a hand. Just tell me what you want me to do fer ya.

Hlokk
27-11-2005, 14:43
Sounds cool - I advise having a look at the old warhammer quest rules, if you haven't already. Your "treatment" sounds similar to it.

Suprisingly, WHQ was my starting point for the whole project. What did disallusion me about WHQ was:

1: Having about 6 different decks of cards.
2: Length of play (4 hours per game is what my group averaged when I was using my level 7 barbarian)
3: The need for a GM, lets face it, everyone wants to play, but few people want to put the effort into being a GM, myself included.

Im aiming to eliminate most of that from the new system, and hopefully create something that will be fun, in depth and fairly easy to play.

@Renka: Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch shortly.

Zark the Damned
29-11-2005, 11:32
WHQ doesn't NEED those decks of cards, other than the Dungeon decks. There are replacement tables for treasure and encounters that you dice against.

As for the dungeon cards, it'd be easy enough to knock together a dungeon generator table like the one from Advanced Heroquest.

And GMs aren't required if you're in Dungeon bash mode, they are only needed for the campaigns with actual plot (TM)

warlordgrubnatz
29-11-2005, 20:38
I'll help i was going to make a dungeon style game anyway, count me in.

Renka
29-11-2005, 21:26
@Renka: Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch shortly.
Sounds great, feel free to contact me by any means (although a PM or email would probably be for the best).