PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back Into Fantasy With 2150 of Chaos

Sword of the Morning
21-12-2008, 03:12
So, I've been playing WHFB off and on for ten years or so, but I haven't had a game in about a year and a half. I'm not caught up on the recent developments in the game; indeed, 7th edition itself is still a de facto novelty to me. That being said, I picked up the WoC book today with three goals in mind for my new army:

1) To play an army that I've never played before.

2) To play an army that will allow me to take the big scaries that I've never traditionally fielded.

3) To play an army that I can actually finish painting.

Thus, the following:

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch
Level 4
Chariot
The Bronze Armor of Zhrakk
Blood of Tzeentch
Talisman of Protection
Infernal Puppet

Sorcerer of Tzeentch
Level 2
Disk of Tzeentch
The Black Tongue

12 Warriors of Tzeentch
Full Command
Additional Hand Weapons
Shields
Banner of Wrath

18 Marauders of Khorne
Full Command
Great Weapons

18 Marauders of Khorne
Full Command
Great Weapons

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

6 Knights of Tzeentch
Standard Bearer
Musician

6 Knights of Tzeentch
Standard Bearer
Musician

Chaos Spawn

Giant of Khorne

Total: 2184

Of course, the first issue at hand is that I'm 34 points over. There are places where I can afford to drop points, but I thought that I'd put the question to WarSeer first. So, the aforementioned units constitute my prospective army after having looked at every rule, item, mark, unit, and spell exactly once. The idea is to wage a respectable magic offense between the combined efforts of my two Tzeentchians, supplemented by the Banner of Wrath. Defensively, I have a barely adequate five dice, and I am Scroll-less; but, the Infernal Puppet/Black Tongue combination (which immediately jumped out at me) has the potential to cripple the opponent's casting.

I am more secure in my combat prowess. The new Knights and Warriors are peerless; my only reservation lies in fielding a 12-strong infantry unit, something that my instincts tell me to avoid. That being said, I love the Warrior models, and I must have at least one unit in my force, but paying over 100 points for a third rank seems rather superfluous to me.

I'm eager to see how my Khornate Marauders perform. The front rank packs 13 WS4 ST5 attacks, and they provide +2 rank and decent numbers, all for 140 points. Two units of these bad boys are certainly a threat to opposing units. The best part about them is that their weaknesses - to my mind, shooting and suseptibility to baiting due to their frenzy - are largely mitigated in the context of the rest of my list. My Knights, Warriors, Giant, and mobile heroes will probably be on the recieving end of opposition firepower well before the Marauders become a target. Frenzy shouldn't be an issue as long as I plot my advance intelligently. The enemy can set my Marauders up for a flank charge if they want, but my better and more expensive units will be waiting to counter-charge.

Finally, my Giant adds something of an X-factor to my stlye of play. His unpredictability will cause even the mightiest of characters to think twice, while his Terror and brutality will surely be assets. Warhounds will screen/bait/redirect, while the Spawn will amble around and do something cool.

There you have it. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sword of the Morning
23-12-2008, 02:44
Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Please? :angel:

==Me==
23-12-2008, 05:36
Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch
Level 4
Chariot
The Bronze Armor of Zhrakk
Blood of Tzeentch
Talisman of Protection
Infernal Puppet

You can't take 2 Arcane items, so I'd drop the Blood of Tzeentch. A simple Sword of Might would help once he hits combat. A single chariot is asking for trouble, I'd put him on a disk instead. You may also want to consider the Eye of Tzeentch to protect against ranged attacks.

Sorcerer of Tzeentch
Level 2
Disk of Tzeentch
The Black Tongue

Solid.

12 Warriors of Tzeentch
Full Command
Additional Hand Weapons
Shields
Banner of Wrath

Expensive, but still good.

18 Marauders of Khorne
Full Command
Great Weapons

You can do just as well with 18, the rank bonus isn't all that needed.

18 Marauders of Khorne
Full Command
Great Weapons

As above.

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

Always good.

6 Knights of Tzeentch
Standard Bearer
Musician

6 Knights of Tzeentch
Standard Bearer
Musician

Very nasty.

Chaos Spawn

Good flank anchor.

Giant of Khorne

Why Khorne? Slaanesh or Nurgle work better.

You've got a good set up, a nice mix of units with plenty of hitty stuff. I'd drop one unit of Marauders in exchange for a unit of 20-25 Marauders with light armor, shields, full command, and the Mark of Slaanesh. They're cheap, have full SCR and are immune to Fear, Terror, and Panic. Dropping 6 of the Khorne Marauders could drop your down to 2150, as you don't need the ranks as much when you're that hitty.

Ld will also be a problem for you as you cap at Ld8. The Mark of Slaanesh or Khorne helps a lot here.

Sword of the Morning
23-12-2008, 14:43
Thanks for the reply!

You can't take 2 Arcane items, so I'd drop the Blood of Tzeentch. A simple Sword of Might would help once he hits combat. A single chariot is asking for trouble, I'd put him on a disk instead. You may also want to consider the Eye of Tzeentch to protect against ranged attacks.

D'oh! How did I miss that? Oh well, dropping Blood of Tzeentch lets me pick up the Sword of Might while saving ten points.

I'd drop one unit of Marauders in exchange for a unit of 20-25 Marauders with light armor, shields, full command, and the Mark of Slaanesh. They're cheap, have full SCR and are immune to Fear, Terror, and Panic. Dropping 6 of the Khorne Marauders could drop your down to 2150, as you don't need the ranks as much when you're that hitty.

Why Khorne? Slaanesh or Nurgle work better.

This is, of course, solid advice; my only issue is the mixing of marks. Right now, my army is mixed Tzeentch/Khorne, but there is at least a modicum of realism in the combination: a warband of manipulative Tzeentchians coerce a Khornate Marauder tribe and their Giant to fight and die alongside them. Speaking of the Khornate Giant, after some reflection it seems as though my points could be better used on other monsters of Chaos. Dropping the Giant leaves me with 231 points to play with after factoring in the 24 points I need to lose in order to make 2150. That could bring me:

- 3 Dragon Ogres with Great Weapons (231 exactly)
- 4 Chaos Ogres with Chaos Armor and XHW; 1 Chaos Spawn (235, drop a Marauder)

Any other suggestions?

==Me==
23-12-2008, 14:48
I get you, you could still keep them with the MoK and run them for static combat resolution. They're still ITP and you've got hounds to keep them from doing anything stupid :p

If you want to keep the big beasty, a Hellcannon is a fun little toy. Other than that, Dragon Ogres are awesome sauce. If you wanted to field Ogres, I'd go with GW and MoK for some truly hard hitting meanies.