PDA

View Full Version : Outriders repeater handgun

Luisjoey
22-12-2008, 16:35
Does the repeater handgun is a MOVE OR FIRE weapon?

even if they are mounted?

if yes.... whats the use of put a unit of them in horses?

thanks in advance

Zubb
22-12-2008, 16:37
it is IIRC

u have no other choice

Dareus
22-12-2008, 16:43
Well... Repeater Handguns indeed are still move OR fire weapons even if mounted.
Why they come on horses?

1. fluff
2. 5+ save (well...4+ if you really really want)
3. 360 shooting arc. allthough still they can't shoot through eachother this proved to be quite valuable in my past games
4. they are mobile if needed
5. ... don't know any more reasons atm.
ah well...
6. They always have been mounted. Wouldn't it be strange when outriders came all the way walking? ;)

But in the end I can live with outriders being light cavalry.

Dareus

Dragon Prince of Caledor
22-12-2008, 18:29
They would be distusting if they weren't move or fire thats why IMO

Neckutter
22-12-2008, 18:48
if they werent Move or Fire, they would be the best unit in the game. think about it. moving 16", then firing 3 shoters per guy hitting on 5s, wounding almost everything on 3 or 4s, and even heavy infantry get a horrible save.

i dont take outriders, i like pistoliers way way better.

Toonces
22-12-2008, 19:08
To expand on what Dareus said...

#1 - 360 line of sight. It's much harder for your enemy to hide from Outriders.

#2 - High move/free reform. While you'd like to think that your gunners will spend 6 turns of shooting, usually, you have to spend at least 1 turn moving your shooters - either into position to shoot, out of harm's way, do to a rout - whatever the reason, if your Outriders are forced to move/flee, they're in a much stronger position to get back into a usable vantage point sooner.

#3 - Outrider Champ has a BS5 Hochland Rifle. That's reason enough to field these guys.

#4 - More shooting per point/frontage. 15 Handgunners fire as many shots as 5 Outriders but cost more. The multiple shot penalty the Outriders incur is offset by their better BS - so same firepower, fewer points. The amount of table space 15 Handgunner use is a lot harder to manage than the table space used by Outriders - so they're firing is cheaper and helps prevent crowding.

#5 - Versatility. In the close of a battle, you may find any shooting unit short of targets to plink - everyone's engaged/dead/hidden and you aren't Skaven so you can't shoot into melee. Outriders are much more useful for joining into a flank/rear of an enemy as their movement allows for twice the distance covered vs. a regular handgunner.

Really, I think the Handgunner/Outrider argument is skewed in favor of the Outrider. Of course, Handgunners will always be useful because they can do two things Outriders can't - absorb wounds better and not compete with other special slots.

Griefbringer
22-12-2008, 19:19
Don't forget the extra attacks from the horsies in close combat!

Luisjoey
22-12-2008, 20:08
thanks for this clarifications! is much of the thinks i thought about all these troops.

For now i would rather the pistoliers as light cavalry with some fire barrage.