PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts Tactics ( 1000 pts )

Verchild
23-12-2008, 04:02
So slowly I have been building up my VC army.
At this time I have made a 1000 point list and so far its kind of Zombie heavy.
I have only played 2 games with them so far and both were 500 point games.
VS Wood Elves = Tie ( He had killed my Vampire in a challange based combat but I had troops enough alive that
VS DoC = Massacre ( With the last combat, I took them all out to a man.. er demon )

So now I'm readying myself for the Wood Elf Rematch.
Here is my list. Its based mostly on the models I have available to me to use.

Vampire [Helm of Command], [Sword of Battle], [Master of the Black Arts] 195pts
Necromancer [Sceotre De Noriot] [ Dispell Scroll ] [+2 Spells] 135pst
Skeleton Warriors +Spears + Full Command (x15) 155 pts
Zombie Horde (x20) +Standard 88 pts
Corpse Cart + Bale Fire 100 pts
Grave Guard (x10) +Full Command - 150 pts
Varghulf 175 pts

-= Tactics =-

Here is where I need a little more help.
The things I already know are as follows.
- Raise Dead + Dance macabre is my friend.
- Helm of Command is almost invaluable. I never thought that something so basic would be so powerful. ( You not sure? 10 Grave Guard vs 15 Blood Thirsters and when the Grave guard finally lost 3 turns later they had taken almost 9 of them as well as the Herald down with them :evilgrin: )

Right now, I am trying to figure the best tactic for the Vargulf.

I have been leaving my Vampire in the Skeleton Warriors until I'm about to send the Skeletons into combat. My Vampire is mostly for the magic at this time, but I figured that having an extra attack when she does take the field of battle couldn't hurt.

So please let me know what you think by best tactics against those pointy eared Tree huggers :p

Once again, I appreciate any advice the Warseer Brain Trust can offer!

shredshredxx
23-12-2008, 04:33
that vampire is pretty unprotected...

give that sucka a ward/armour save.

if she's out, the only units that're gonna survive more than a couple turns are the varghulf and necromancer.

shredshredxx
23-12-2008, 04:36
sorry, sort of dodged your main question there.

tactics-wise, what i'd do is take that fat unit of zombies down the center, raise some more zombies on their sides, and get them into combat with the meanest unit(s) your foe has.

then shoot that v-ghulf and the grave guard into the flanks.

zombies are one of the greatest tarpits ever,

they're cheap as **** so you can field ginormous units,

and you can raise them to larger sizes than you started with with minimal effort.

maybe switch those grave guard out for black knights, for better flank****ing capabiity??

Verchild
23-12-2008, 04:56
sorry, sort of dodged your main question there.

tactics-wise, what i'd do is take that fat unit of zombies down the center, raise some more zombies on their sides, and get them into combat with the meanest unit(s) your foe has.

then shoot that v-ghulf and the grave guard into the flanks.

zombies are one of the greatest tarpits ever,

they're cheap as **** so you can field ginormous units,

and you can raise them to larger sizes than you started with with minimal effort.

maybe switch those grave guard out for black knights, for better flank****ing capabiity??

Good point I think I will swap out that sword with at least a ward save.
Those wood elves and their bows do bother me.

VC Doke
23-12-2008, 19:19
I'd also swap the dispel scroll for a power stone. With the balefired corpse cart, you shouldn't need a scroll in 1000 pts.

Don't expect to do anything but raise zombies (Raise D & invoc) with the general. I'd go with Lv. 2 upgrade if you want more variety. You'll want the option of throwing 3 dice a big spell instead of being stuck with 2 dice maximum. Also, get him something for protection. If you're going for economy pick the E. shield for the 4+ CC AS (HW+shield). Stay out of challenges with other characters and he could survive a average units attacks.

Also, if you can afford it, put the war banner on the GG. They're small and could use the help.

Good idea for the list overall.

orkz222
24-12-2008, 05:27
your skeleton unit is quite small, i would replace the vargulf with a unit of black knights.

my 0.02

Verchild
24-12-2008, 19:06
Update!

I had played the 1000 Point battle agains the wood elves yesterday.
Main notes of the battle.
-Somehow a Block of 20 Zombies beat a unit of wild riders with out taking a wound. ( no helm of command used in this battle )
-Casting Raise dead an annoyingly large number of times can REALLY mess up your opponents tactical plans.
-Even though your Wood Elf Lord with a bunch of super cool magic items should have wiped the floor with my Grave Guard champion in the dule. Me casting First Strike and then getting a Killing Blow on your Wood Elf Lord forces me to do a small Dance at the table. A ward save could have helped. :)
-Ending your 3rd game of Warhammer against a GW employee at his store with an audiance and having the 2nd game in a row where ALL of the oppents troops had either been killed or ran off the board gives you a HUGE boost to your moral.

gunners
28-12-2008, 11:54
Did you change anything in your armylist or just presented the same? Am considering myself if Varghulf or BG is going to enter my army..

But sounds like a okay list you have made, i would guess WE and DoC are some of the tougher opponents VC could face

Verchild
30-12-2008, 20:47
Did you change anything in your armylist or just presented the same? Am considering myself if Varghulf or BG is going to enter my army..

But sounds like a okay list you have made, i would guess WE and DoC are some of the tougher opponents VC could face

Other then the Ward Save I didn't change anything.
The Varghulf almost died in turn 1. I don't know how i managed to miss 3 of 4 Regen saves, but it happened. I ended up casting Invoc on him and got him back up to health. I think most of the battle was just luck on my part. Those Wild Riders should have mopped the floor with my zombies, but he missed all of his attacks, I got him on 1 wound, and Rank bonuses and a standard. Then rolled box cars and ran off the board.
Had he stayed there he would have taken me out for sure.

TechnoWarlord
17-11-2009, 01:24
One tactic I would recommend to deal with the bows that the Elves have is to use some ethereal units (one will work for a 1000 pt) I prefer wraiths but spirit hosts work great too. But they can get to just about any unit placed in difficult terrain, on a hill and such with GREAT ease, and once you get that shooting unit in close combat you stopped them from shooting. :D It's what I do against Dark Elves with their repeater crossbows.