PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Nicha11
24-12-2008, 04:45
Was Making a character for Arena of Death when i came across this little combo.

Vampire Lord, Infinite Hatred, Frostblade, Night Shroud
Talisman of Lycni, Crown of the Damned and Beguile.

Now it strike me that should he get into combat with anything multi wound.
He is pretty much guaranteed a kill, he can reroll all his hits, and anything
he wounds auto dies.

Is there any character who could best him at CC?

sniperjolly
24-12-2008, 05:04
Arch Lector, war altar, sword of sigsmund, gorgon shield and van horstman's speculum... The best the empire can muster.

Dooks Dizzo
24-12-2008, 06:55
How many points of magic items are you allowed to take? The frost blade pretty much takes up all a normal Lords points...

Anyway, the Pendant of Kaleth is always a good spoiler against stuff like that.

Jericho
24-12-2008, 09:26
165 points of magic items and a 25 point bloodline power. I bet a lot of armies can come up with pretty gross combos if you go 65 points over the magic items limit.

Neknoh
24-12-2008, 09:30
That would be my arena

and the only limitation is that the combination of powers, items etc. is legal and that the character is not over 500 points.

There have been rather sick things circulating for ideas, and I am quite sure a few of them can beat you. Most notable would probably be a Wood Elf Alter Kindred with the proper gear.

havoc626
24-12-2008, 10:52
Hmm, a Skaven Warlord with Fellblade, Rust Armour, Warpstone Amulet and Warpstone Charm has a decent chance, and is probably the best thing that Skaven could muster. The fact that the Warlord is only 275pts makes him seem outclassed(which his is), compaired to the, what 500pts of the Vampire, but there's a good chance for the Warlord to survive, and if he does, chances are that Vamp. will die that turn, as he has nothing to protect him.

Or you could take the Warpstone armour instead, put a shield on him, and get an armour save against the attack, but you'd lose the bonus of auto discounting the first wound against him.

Whitesox
24-12-2008, 11:48
Well this is a legal combo

Vampire Lord
Infinate Hatred 25pts
Beguile 25pts
Red Fury 50pts
Walachs Bloody Hauberk 45pts
Gem of Blood 25pts
Sword of Kings 25pts
On a Nightmare for 2+ armour save or Zombi Dragon if the arena of Death rules allow

Whitesox
24-12-2008, 11:51
Thats 4 str 5 attacks that re-roll misses, re-roll failed to wound roles (if enemy does pass ld test at -3, thus allowing a greater chance of killing blow and an additional attack per unsaved wound

he has either a 2+ armour save if on a steed or 4+ if on a dragon, 5+ ward save, the first wound is rebounded and killing blow...

he may not have 10 str 10 attacks which auto wound but you'd be surprised at how many times killing blow works on that combo

Whitesox
24-12-2008, 12:02
Or the very simple but very effective

Chaos Lord
Chaos Rune Shield
Axe of Khorne
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut of Khorne

The only weakness from that combo if people with Killing Blow, it got into the final of an AoD i played and got beat by a vamp lord with KB

Thats 0+ Armour Save so even Str 7 gives an armour save of 4+, 6 str 6 killing blow attacks and ignores all magic weapons

bork da basher
24-12-2008, 14:38
Chaos lord / MoK, Juggernaut, demonsword, helm of many eyes, crimson armour of dargon, shield, crown of everlasting conquest, acid ichor, favour of the gods / 500

between 7 and 12 attacks at strength between 6 and 8, ASF (yes stupidity but big deal if hes in combat) his jugger has 3 S5 attacks and causes fear too.
crimson armour makes him immune to killing blow and can only ever take one wound (thats right mr demonsword you can but wound me once) combined with shield and jugger for 0+save and with crown of everlasting conquest i have regeneration. should i get wounded acid ichor gives back a hit and favour of the gods just because i had 5 points left.

Dooks Dizzo
24-12-2008, 15:26
Dreadlord on a Cold One
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Pendant of Kaeleth
Crimson Death

1+ armor
4+ regen
2+ ward against everyone on this list.

Makes him damn near impossible to kill, so he'll probably have a good chance of getting his four s6 attacks for a few rounds and take down some of these beasts you guys are posting.

Neknoh
24-12-2008, 15:54
Bork, you have misread the rules for the Crimson Armour, it prevents multiplying-dice to be rolled for wounds, i.e. things such as the Hellfire Sword and Cannonballs will ever only cause 1 wound PER WOUND, not 1+D3, D6, D3 or anything else like it.

Gazak Blacktoof
25-12-2008, 00:30
As a silly combo why not try a high elf BSB on horse with Folariath's Robe and Talisman of Saphery. He gets an exciting +1 to combat resolution and essentially can't be injured by anything other than spells. He will eventually break and run down any model that doesn't outnumber him any that do will simply tie with him.

Lord Aislinn
26-12-2008, 10:36
Dreadlord on a Cold One
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Pendant of Kaeleth
Crimson Death

1+ armor
4+ regen
2+ ward against everyone on this list.

Makes him damn near impossible to kill, so he'll probably have a good chance of getting his four s6 attacks for a few rounds and take down some of these beasts you guys are posting.

Actually an effective 3+ against strength 6+ attacks, because a roll of a 1 on a ward save automatically fails regardlessly according to page 30 of the rule book, the final sentence in the box titled:

WARD SAVES

And before the DE kick off saying that the Pendant is different, it is also the only ward save in the game that that rule applies to.

narrativium
26-12-2008, 13:10
Actually an effective 3+ against strength 6+ attacks, because a roll of a 1 on a ward save automatically fails regardlessly according to page 30 of the rule book, the final sentence in the box titled:

WARD SAVES

And before the DE kick off saying that the Pendant is different, it is also the only ward save in the game that that rule applies to. It wasn't at the time of publication of the main rulebook, and the rulebook specifies that magic items overrule the main rulebook where contradictions such as this occur. But there are threads on this topic already. It's an effective 2+ against S5+ attacks.