PDA

View Full Version : Starter Plague Rat Army

Heckus
24-12-2008, 15:07
I've been looking at Skaven as my next army and think I want to make a nice themed army based around Clan Pestilens.

For my first 1000-ish pts I think I'm gonna try:

Plague Priest (general) w/ Plague Censer and Liber (makes him a lvl 1 Wiz), and 1 warpstone token [136]

24 Plague Monks w/ Extra hand weapons, and FC [217]

Cheiftain (BSB) w/ Heavy Armor and Banner of the Swarm [94]

29 Clan Rats w/ spears, FC, and Warpfire thrower team [274]

Plague Rat Swarm, 3 bases [195]

5 Plague Censer bearers [85]

Total = 1001

If rat swarms count towards core (I forget) then this fills the requirements of either a regular Skaven army or a Clans Pestilens army from the back of the book. The Warpfire thrower might not be entirely fluffy but it adds a little something extra for punch.

GuyLeCheval
24-12-2008, 15:13
Drop the plague rat swarms, get some slaves, switch swarm-banner for a warbanner, increase number of censer bearers.
Looks good, just do something about little 5A Ws2, S2 poison 65 pts thingies.

Heckus
24-12-2008, 15:25
I hadn't ever used swarms before. Are they that bad? I thought they might make a semi-decent tar pit.

I remember my Chaos warriors getting hit in the flank with a swarm once which was annoying, but I can see their usefulness being very situational.

==Me==
24-12-2008, 15:27
Don't you need 2 Core? Drop the Plague Rats (too expensive) and get some Slaves. You could also lose some Monks (about 5) and a couple Clanrats (25 is good) to pick up another unit, either some cheap Giant Rats or some Night Runners to keep your Monks from doing anything stupid.

GuyLeCheval
24-12-2008, 15:45
Well, normal swarms can be a good tarpit, but you'll need 4-5 swarms, thanks to the crumbling rule. That makes a 180-225 pts tarpit, cost may be somewhat high...

Plague rat swarms are better at taking down light armour skirmishers, but they aren't well at this job. So, back to their original role: tarpitting, and back to normal swarms.

If you know waht I mean...

Heckus
24-12-2008, 15:52
How about:

Plague Priest (general) w/ Plague Censer and Liber (makes him a lvl 1 Wiz), and 1 warpstone token [136]

24 Plague Monks w/ Extra hand weapons, and FC [217]

Cheiftain (BSB) w/ Heavy Armor and Banner of the Swarm [94]

29 Clan Rats w/ spears, FC, and Warpfire thrower team [274]

20 Clan Rat slaves w/ Shields [60]

2 Rat Ogres w/ 2 packmasters [100]

7 Plague Censer bearers [119]

Total = 1000

Heckus
24-12-2008, 15:57
Oh, and if I drop the Warpstone token I can afford to trade the Banner of the swarm up for a Warbanner with 5 points left over to buy the rat slaves a musician I suppose.

Heckus
24-12-2008, 16:34
Don't you need 2 Core? Drop the Plague Rats (too expensive) and get some Slaves. You could also lose some Monks (about 5) and a couple Clanrats (25 is good) to pick up another unit, either some cheap Giant Rats or some Night Runners to keep your Monks from doing anything stupid.

Swarms are Core (clanrats and swarm for core, plague monks for special) unless I missed a line that says they don't count towards minimums.

With the Clan Pestilens list from the back of the book, Plague Monks and Plaguerat swarms are core as are Clan rats. The Censer bearers drop from rare to special and pretty much everything in the regular special list bumps up to rare (Rat Ogres, Jezzails, ....).

I was wanting to keep a Clan Pestilens specific list but i agree the plaguerats are just too expensive on 1000 points.

stripsteak
24-12-2008, 16:47
yeah the rat swarms are not really worth their cost anymore since they'll crumble in combat. they are an ok tarpit but 195 points can buy you a lot better stuff in the skaven arsenal.

i like the second list better. i would try to find points to get slaves up 21, increases the initial panic check from 5 rats to 6. a good deal for 2 points.

the plague preist is not how i would run him. pestilent breath is probably our worst spell, so it's pretty much a 40pt dispel dice. I usually run him with flail and some kind of defense ToP/foul pendant/warpstone amulet, or bands of power if you have other magic to help get it off. this keeps him pretty cheap and killy without running the risk of killing your own guys. with the censor if you have him in the middle of a block thats 6 toughness tests on your own guys...even on a 6+ thats still 1 dead. and you always run the risk of wounding himself. but don't get me wrong the censor is a good weapon for him, if you like it just not my personal taste.

Clan rats. i'd drop em to 25 for now, fill out the list with that you need then increase em at the end with whatever is left, it should still be plenty for 1000pts, and drop the warpfire thrower. it's expensive for what it does especially at this point level. if you want a weapon team take the ratling gun. but if you just like the weapon for a cool mdel or fluff thats a good enough reason in my book to keep something :)

plague monks. good numbers if you can get the points for it the banner of burning hatred its a good tool for them. Running 6-7 wide thats 18+ attacks depending on champions and characters in there. re-rolling WS3 attacks is pretty useful.

BSB i ussually don't bring in until 1250-1500 unless i am doing a full horde. but he should still serve you well. and yeah as mentioned the warbanner is better. it's an extra +1 all the time, while the swarm banner is just +1 most of the time. it can be negated the warbanner can't

something to think about instead of the BSB for magic defense is a naked engineer with 2 dispel scrolls. for 95 points you get a dispel die, and 2 scrolls its pretty good and cheap magic defense in 1000pts.

Coram_Boy
24-12-2008, 17:05
If you are getting the engineer, you might as well be getting him warp-blades. it means he is now a bit more than a useless scroll caddy. also, at 1000 pts I doubt that there will be need for 2 disp. scrolls, take 1 and a storm demon, you should never be facing more than 1 level 2 wizard at that level. also, the storm demon is fantastic, and with the WL spell,and your plague priest with the liber you should be able to put pressure on your opponent in the magic phrase, given you will have 4 dispel dice and 4 power dice + storm demon. to make the pts drop 3 clanrats and your bsb, they work best in units of 25-6 in my opinion (the clanrats) anyway. merry xmas!