PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally charging a unit?

ORKY ARD BOYZ
25-12-2008, 05:17
Say two units were aligned into the shape of an 'L', if an enemy unit charged one of the two units making up the L, and made contact with the other unit, would that mean the enemy unit jsut charged two units and lost all rank bonuses?

If a unit suffers an automatic wound, does that simple mean no roll to wound is needed?

Cherub
25-12-2008, 05:29
Unless you charged both units at the same time you have to stay 1 inch away from the other unit.

Necromancy Black
25-12-2008, 06:36
In the charging example I'm pretty sure you would only make contact with one unit. You'll either clip the first one or miss and hit the back one. With charging you can go with an inch of other units, and if your even a mm or two away from base contact then that's out of the charge.

And yes, auto wound means you don't roll to wound. Note that if you auto wound, you can not choose to roll to wound. This means that anything with both poisonous attacks and killingblow can not get killing blow an any hits that come up with a roll of 6. This is confirmed in the TK FAQ on the Tomb Scorpion.

Condottiere
25-12-2008, 09:59
If the attacking force has a wider frontage than the target, it's quite possible that two units can be charged at the same time.

That L shape makes it quite awkward, and it's something I'll consider next time I deploy. Because EITW should ensure that on a 90degree angle you can only hit one unit, but maximizing the number of models in combat could shift a flank in contact with the other unit, leaving you open to a flank attack. Unless the flanking unit has ASF, you'll strike first, of course.

Skirmishers at long range should ensure that only one unit comes into combat, but the remaining unit will charge in their next turn.

A nifty tactic - was it accidental or deliberate?

ORKY ARD BOYZ
25-12-2008, 22:19
If the attacking force has a wider frontage than the target, it's quite possible that two units can be charged at the same time.

That L shape makes it quite awkward, and it's something I'll consider next time I deploy. Because EITW should ensure that on a 90degree angle you can only hit one unit, but maximizing the number of models in combat could shift a flank in contact with the other unit, leaving you open to a flank attack. Unless the flanking unit has ASF, you'll strike first, of course.

Skirmishers at long range should ensure that only one unit comes into combat, but the remaining unit will charge in their next turn.

A nifty tactic - was it accidental or deliberate?

Much as I'd like to claim to be a tactical genius, in reality I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

Could you explain what 'EITW' is? In the paragraph above, did you essentially say: charging one of the two units aligned up in the shape of an 'L', would expose the flank of the charging unit to the other unit?

Condottiere
25-12-2008, 22:30
Yes, it could expose the flank, if during the maximising of models in contact, you are forced into contact with the second unit.

Enemy in the way - if for some reason an enemy unit that you hadn't declared a charge on somehow prevents you from completing it, in which case you either stop short an inch, or plough through them. Also works if the original charged units flees.

BEEGfrog
25-12-2008, 22:59
Yes, it could expose the flank, if during the maximising of models in contact, you are forced into contact with the second unit.

Enemy in the way - if for some reason an enemy unit that you hadn't declared a charge on somehow prevents you from completing it, in which case you either stop short an inch, or plough through them. Also works if the original charged units flees.

Note EITW only counts if something has changed from the time the charge was declared. If nothing has changed then the unit that hasn't had a charge declared against it cannot be contacted, if the targetted unit cannot be legally contacted then the charge fails.

alextroy
26-12-2008, 18:27
Say two units were aligned into the shape of an 'L', if an enemy unit charged one of the two units making up the L, and made contact with the other unit, would that mean the enemy unit jsut charged two units and lost all rank bonuses?

There are mutliple ways to work this if you utilize both the Rulebook and the FAQ.

1) Make contact with the charged unit and have it align to the charger (Aligning the Combatants, page 21), thus avoiding contacting both units. This will leave the charger in position to be flank charged.

2) Decide that it is a Multiple Target charge (page 24), and have it make contact with both enemy units, then align all three units into a battle line (see Appendix). This may result in the charged units moving considerably while the charger only moves to contact those units.

Note EITW only counts if something has changed from the time the charge was declared.
This has been changed by the Errata.

Page 23. ‘Enemy in the way’, in reprints the first
sentence of the second paragraph will be changed to: ‘If
the charging unit would run into another enemy, they are
allowed to immediately declare a new charge against the
enemy unit now in their way’.