PDA

View Full Version : Serenity, the film

Baggers
28-04-2005, 18:18
So over the last year or two Joss Whedon has been making Serenity based on his best TV show Firefly. The first trailer is now up So enjoy (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/)

By the looks of the plot it follows from the end of the series and concentrates mainly on the Summer and her brother whose name I can not remeber. However it looks better than a couple of other sci fi flicks out this year.

m1s1n
28-04-2005, 18:24
I've heard that it basically restarts everything. Great show, so I hope the movie is good as well.

Great Harlequin
28-04-2005, 18:32
Can't wait. I'd love to find out what River's importance to the story was.

Archaon
28-04-2005, 19:25
I too can't wait till it hits the cinema..i'm even more excited about Serenity than Star Wars 3.

And bear in mind..they did stellar SF shots for the TV show on a TV budget and now they had a movie budget to play around and by the look of the trailer (god i hate those trailer typical fast cuts) they made good use of the budget.

From what i heard the movie will revolve around River (the psycho kid from hell), her brother Simon and the Reavers.

And judging from the trailer it seems the Alliance military is having a discussion with the Reavers as to who's got the bigger gun :D :cool:

Spider
28-04-2005, 19:36
That looks very good indeed.

Almost through watching the series on DVD...i reckon that is is Joss Whedons best work. And i love Buffy and Angel.

As long as they leave that slightly irritating 'language' alone then the film will be awesome.

Bruen
28-04-2005, 19:56
Forget Star Wars, THATS the film that I want to watch!

I loved the series and the film looks just awesome.

Archaon
28-04-2005, 20:05
The language is one of the best things about Firefly..mixing English and Chinese is simply genius.

Think about it..in that time China is a major superpower much like the US (and it seems for quite a while). I live in Germany, speak german but you wouldn't believe how many english words are used albeit a perfectly usable german word exists.
I imagine the same happened in the Firefly universe..China has been a major player for so long that its language also became major and found its way into common vocabulary.

And it let Whedon circumvent the censors by letting the actor curse like hell..but in Chinese :D

Sai-Lauren
29-04-2005, 10:42
Forget Star Wars, THATS the film that I want to watch!

I loved the series and the film looks just awesome.

September 30th for the US, 4th November for the UK, and there may be a trilogy, according to the IMDB.

Aurelien
01-05-2005, 20:36
*Sigh*

That's so far away.

I've not even seen the trailer yet. Our net connection is crap.

m1s1n
01-05-2005, 21:10
Or May 5th if you are willing to spend insane amounts of money to travel to Las Vegas and pay for a ticket (which are all sold out). It seems that they are doing an early screening. Shame. I'm only like . . . 15 hours away from Vegas. . . and totally broke.

Baggers
01-05-2005, 22:11
Oh well I have till November to watch the series. Seeing as I bought it on DVD over a year ago now, and I have only just started to watch it, I might just do it.

Then again I got the Blade boxset containing all three films and watched them pretty much one after the other all of yesterday.

m1s1n
01-05-2005, 22:25
Oh well I have till November to watch the series. Seeing as I bought it on DVD over a year ago now, and I have only just started to watch it, I might just do it.

'Firefly' takes some commitment to watch. Like most shows it requires you to sacrifice long periods of time to get to the end. I hear a lot of Whedon fans do not particularly care for 'Firefly' as much as 'Buffy'--but I think it's really fun and new. I was never a huge 'Buffy' fan, so 'Firefly' came as some surprise to me when I finally did watch it. The major problem is this--there are 9 characters which all develop at a wonderful pace. Unfortunately, this wonderful pace is not fast enough for a weekly television show, especially one not shown in order. Basically the whole show was too much for television. Hopefully it works as a film.

Archaon
01-05-2005, 23:05
I disagree..this show was perfect for television because it let the characters unfold and gave them time to develop.
In movies you have 2, max 3 hours to introduce a character and explain his motives (if the story is not split into more films) which can sometimes lead to a rushed feeling and in the case of a TV cast (5, 6, or more main cast members) sometimes some of these have to step back so that only a handful can shine.

Take a look at Star Trek Next Generations movies..in the end the movies only revolved about Picard, Data, the Villain and maybe Riker. The others were just better extras adding some lines or being conveniently there to advance the plot.

I honestly didn't believe Whedon was this good in his Buffy and Angel days..these shows were just bland, hollywoodized, cardboard-cutout shows for teenagers. For me they were boring and even during the most dramatic scenes like a main character death (especially after Buffy died for the 2nd or 3rd time) i was bored..i stopped watching Buffy regularly after she killed Angel and the next season did an almost reset and the cycle began anew. Introduce a main villain at the beginning of the season, build him up during the season and lead to the mega battle at the end of the season (in which Buffy maybe dies, maybe not).. :rolleyes:

And then came Firefly..it was funny, it had action, it had cool special effects and then Mal kicked the Thug into the engines of his ship and i jumped up: "WTF was THAT??" :eek:
This kind of unpredictable, no hold back, cruel but cool writing and display was by far better than anything i've seen at this time and i was instantly hooked.
Even after i knew to expect the unexpected (Mal placing a headshot to a guy holding one of his crew hostage, refusing honorable, star trek like personal duel and just letting his crew shoot the bad guy, jabbing a sword into a guy several times after he's defeated him etc.) i was still always surprised at the plot twists and the realism of the characters.

I wish the film to be a huge hit so that Firefly may return to the small screen where it belongs.

m1s1n
01-05-2005, 23:25
@Archaon:
I agree that television gives more time to develop characters, however I feel that it was not implimented correctly by the broadcasters of "Firefly". You'll notice on your DVD that many of the episodes were shown out of order or not at all. For a weekly show this can be confusing--especially considering how much information has to be conveyed in those episodes. "Firefly" didn't work for TV because of how it was broadcast, this is not Whedon's fault. I apologize if this is how my last post was read.

Archaon
02-05-2005, 06:09
Well..we can thank Fox for that which, in its infinite wisdom, chose tp produce an expensive SF show and then

- decide to show the 2nd episode first (as the show pilot)because, according to them, the pilot is teh suck and no one would get the show by watching the real pilot Serenity (which they chose to air as the last episode..go figure :rolleyes: )

- show the episodes in total disarray although they had to be shown in order to get the overall story

- put it in the timeslot of death where only excpetions have ever succeeded (X Files as one of the very few exmples)

- almost didn't promote it

- cancel it because it didn't meet expectations

I don't think i was ever this pissed about a show being cancelled..normally i just shrug shoulders, mumble a bit and then look for something other to watch as i've done it before (couldn't care less if Enterprise git cancelled although i'm a big Star Trek fan) but in this case i was really mad.
To me Firefly was unique and groundbreaking at a time where everybody was playing safe and producing shows according to a very narrowly written playbook.
Firefly broke almost all the rules and was fresh only to be cut off at its knees by an entertainment CEO due to poor numbers.

Aurelien
02-05-2005, 06:27
And more to the point (for me anyhow) it wasnt another goddamn reality TV show.

"This week...on The Swan Extreme Makeover...Susan the supermodel cant handle being pretty, so our thugs beat the crap out of her! You'll vomit when you see her face!"

Jesus.

Personally, I enjoy Buffy and Angel. But Firefly is in a class of its own, and far better than either.

Baggers
02-05-2005, 09:43
M1s1n I have seen all of the show when it was shown on Sci Fi over here in the UK. I was just commentating on my lack of watching any of my dvds.

Bruen
02-05-2005, 11:34
I think that the biggest problem for Firefly was that most people seemed to expect Buffy in space. I know several people who were disappointed by it for this reason, on the other hand I don't like Buffy and loved Firefly.