PDA

View Full Version : Call to Arms!

Great Harlequin
27-11-2005, 11:37
Hi,

Recently I've been hit with the bug that is Babylon Five. Although I haven't seen the last series as yet I've watched the others incessantly, obsessively and compulsively. I've also had the fortune to meet Claudia Christian and Peter Jurasik just the other day! And when I found out about the miniatures you can imagine my reaction!

Now, if there's anyone out there who has played the game or collected the miniatures I would ask you for some advice.

I really can't decide on which race to choose yet, but as Christmas is coming I can afford to buy one of the large Boxed Sets and expand upon them later if the need arose.

I'm not too bothered about which race plays better in the game itself as I just want to collect and paint them. I'll probably use the Battlefleet Gothic rules for them anyway unless you can persuade me otherwise.

Anyway, Neech sak schneck, slem ba (Adronado).

ratatosk
27-11-2005, 21:54
The minis are very nice, detailed and have little flash and paint up well, i personally have an Earth fleet, and regularly get splattered by my friends Minbari. The rules, well they are ok in my view, though we have been experimenting with Full Thrust (highly recommended, more indepth than BFG). I also belive though that the best thing you can do is pick up a copy of the rules and go from there.

d4m0s4n
28-11-2005, 15:52
Look for the now out of print Earthforce Sourcebook.

It seems to be an RPG book but tucked in the back 1/2 of the book are starship combat rules based on Full Thrust. Very nifty set.

Anywho Full Thrust is now free. You can download all 12 megs of it at GZG's website.

Great Harlequin
28-11-2005, 17:53
The minis are very nice, detailed and have little flash and paint up well, i personally have an Earth fleet, and regularly get splattered by my friends Minbari.
Yes, I've heard good things about how they are to build and paint.

Minbari do seem to be the gamer's choice I have found... I absolutely love them to bits myself but if everyone is using them I'd prefer to use another race instead. The Narn look mighty tempting, if a little bit of a pig to paint.

It seems to be an RPG book but tucked in the back 1/2 of the book are starship combat rules based on Full Thrust. Very nifty set.

Anywho Full Thrust is now free. You can download all 12 megs of it at GZG's website.
Could I trouble you for a link at all?

BTW how many ships do you tend to use in a standard game?

Thanks for the replies so far. :)

All the very bestest,

jazzdude78
29-11-2005, 13:58
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/downloads/FullThrust.pdf
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/downloads/FB1Full.pdf
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/downloads/FB2Full.pdf

theres the rules and fleet books

Brother Othorio
29-11-2005, 22:58
does anyone know if Mongoose have fixed the G'Kuan Heavy Cruiser model, or is still the same pathetic piece of cr*p that AoG sold?

Great Harlequin
01-12-2005, 16:19
theres the rules and fleet books
Thanks!

I'll get these printed off at some point, however, I don't have enough paper at my home computer so it'll have to wait. :p

does anyone know if Mongoose have fixed the G'Kuan Heavy Cruiser model, or is still the same pathetic piece of cr*p that AoG sold?
I don't know.

This (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniature/detail.php?qsID=691&qsSeries=#) is the current one, which I love, perhaps the sole reason why I want to get the Narn fleet.

ratatosk
02-12-2005, 12:29
For number of ships used, are you referring to COA or FT? I only know a few people that play this game, and of them i'd say 50% play Minbari.

I chose an Earthforce fleet because i like the models, and because i am not a brilliant painter and was worried i could pull off a decent paint job :)

Great Harlequin
02-12-2005, 16:11
For number of ships used, are you referring to COA or FT? I only know a few people that play this game, and of them i'd say 50% play Minbari.
I was refering to either, but now you ask, probably Full Thrust as at first glance the rules seem to be a lot more fluid and thorough.

I chose an Earthforce fleet because i like the models, and because i am not a brilliant painter and was worried i could pull off a decent paint job :)
That's exactly the same attitude I'm going into this. I'll probably purchase a Narn fleet in the end, I know they won't stand upto a Vorlon or Minbari fleet particularly well but they're beautiful figures. :)

The painting could be a pain but I've thought it out and have a 'fairly' simple way of achieving some good results.

All the very bestest,

Kahadras
05-12-2005, 07:07
I got the starter set a while ago and I was quite impressed. I've been into B5 ever since it was first aired over here (on channel 4 at three in the morning or some stupid time). The models do look quite nice from as much as I have seen (Mongooses website pics ain't that great). I really want to get hold of some Earthforce ships but I am not sure where to go (ain't managed to find anywhere that sells them).

Kahadras

Balseraph
05-12-2005, 11:22
I got the starter set a while ago and I was quite impressed. I've been into B5 ever since it was first aired over here (on channel 4 at three in the morning or some stupid time).

I noticed that. Thank god for chronic insomnia or I'd never have seen the most class sci fi ever made(followed closely by Farscape.)

devolutionary
05-12-2005, 11:31
God if I never needed a reason to get a credit card, this is it. The idea of fielding a N'arn or Vorlon fleet makes me gibber in excitement.

What's the pricing like on them from most places? Average cost (compared to say WARMACHINE) or top end pricings?

Balseraph
05-12-2005, 15:36
In US$. (only ones I could find.)
Boxed Set- $49.95
Supplements- $7.95
Narn Fleet Boxed Set- $99.95
(You do get quite a bit in a boxed set. For instance the ISA fleet has 2 Victory Class ships, 9 White Stars, 36 Star Furies, 12 Niall Fighters.)
Downloadable Price list as part of Mongooses online magazine.
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1152&qsSeries=
and so on.
Hope its of use.

Great Harlequin
05-12-2005, 16:01
I really want to get hold of some Earthforce ships but I am not sure where to go (ain't managed to find anywhere that sells them).
No, me niether. I'm just getting mine from here. (http://www.iguk.co.uk/products/the-narn-fleet-box-set-2584.aspx) Even though it's a tad more expensive in pounds it's free shipping which makes all the difference.

I must say I was sorely tempted to get the ISA and some Earthforce ships. (I want them all!) The Earth Alliance Shadow Omega (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniature/detail.php?qsID=1033&qsSeries=28&PHPSESSID=3c0946c62151be54fdd05ed249259fb0#) is just so cool!

I noticed that. Thank god for chronic insomnia or I'd never have seen the most class sci fi ever made(followed closely by Farscape.)
I must agree.

It's similar Buffy, no one can do a show like it or in that style again.

BTW, I may be giving Farscape a whirl soon. I used to catch the occasional episode, loved it, but I found if I missed an episdoe it just didn't make sense. So, I'm going to have to start buying the Dvds at some point.

For instance the ISA fleet has 2 Victory Class ships, 9 White Stars, 36 Star Furies, 12 Niall Fighters
As I said I was sorely tempted, but.... the G'Quan Heavy Cruiser! :D

All the very bestest,

Wintermute
05-12-2005, 17:49
I've been into B5 ever since it was first aired over here (on channel 4 at three in the morning or some stupid time).

Kahadras

B5 was originally screened at 6pm in the evening on Channel 4, not in an early morning slot.

BTW, I may be giving Farscape a whirl soon. I used to catch the occasional episode, loved it, but I found if I missed an episdoe it just didn't make sense. So, I'm going to have to start buying the Dvds at some point.

The Farscape dvds retail at £100 per season with the last mini series The Peacekeeper War at £20.

The only other SF show in the same league as B5 and Farscape at the moment is the new Battlestar Galactica.

Kahadras
06-12-2005, 10:28
"B5 was originally screened at 6pm in the evening on Channel 4, not in an early morning slot."

Yup but it was moved over to a later slot as I distinctly remember having to set the VCR each week.

"No, me niether. I'm just getting mine from here. Even though it's a tad more expensive in pounds it's free shipping which makes all the difference"

That helps a lot. Cheers

Kahadras

Wintermute
06-12-2005, 17:22
"B5 was originally screened at 6pm in the evening on Channel 4, not in an early morning slot."

Yup but it was moved over to a later slot as I distinctly remember having to set the VCR each week.

Kahadras

But not into the wee small hours of the morning.

Great Harlequin
06-12-2005, 17:38
The Farscape dvds retail at 100 per season with the last mini series The Peacekeeper War at 20.
Yes, I did turn my nose up at Farscape when I looked into those figures, however I have found a rather decent shop which sells them for around 60-70.

The only other SF show in the same league as B5 and Farscape at the moment is the new Battlestar Galactica.
Again, I haven't had the fortune to watch that yet. I've heard mixed things about it, some loath it others love it, so I'll probably leave it for another day.

Anyway, my Narn fleet has, I think, been ordered for Christmas. Just hope it doesn't get damaged in the post, like other items I wouldn't care to recollect. :rolleyes:

All the very bestest,

Kahadras
11-12-2005, 02:33
Well I decided to go for an EA fleet. I think i'll pick it up after Christmas when I get some money. The starter box set looks tasty as I really like the look of the Hyperion and the Omega classes. I have 3 mates who are intersted in the Narn, Centari and Mimbari fleets respectivly so that has worked out fairly neatly.

Kahadras

Great Harlequin
11-12-2005, 10:54
Well I decided to go for an EA fleet. I think i'll pick it up after Christmas when I get some money. The starter box set looks tasty as I really like the look of the Hyperion and the Omega classes.
Don't forget the Nova Dreadnaught and the Artemis Heavy Frigate (six railguns :D).

Are you going to expand on the Boxed set at all?

I've only ordered the Narn Regime Boxed set for Christmas. But, there are a few things I'd also like to get, namely a Bin'Tack Dreadnaught, a couple of Rongoth Destroyers and a couple of Var'Nic Long Range Destroyers. The Narn Boxed set is a little light on larger ships compared to some of the other races so I thought those would be a wise investment...

Can't be having four G'Quan Heavy Cruisers go to battle against say, three Sharlin Warcruisers and two Tigara Attack Cruisers. :(

I have 3 mates who are intersted in the Narn, Centari and Mimbari fleets respectivly so that has worked out fairly neatly.
Shiny. :)

I know a couple of people who may get a fleet as well. I have a suspision the one will go for a Minbari fleet while the other, I'm guessing, will get an Earth or Interstellar Alliance.

All the very bestest,

ratatosk
11-12-2005, 12:21
MUHAHAHAHA!!!! it was a historical moment today.. i thrashed the Minbari with my Earthforce fleet, never done before and probably never will be again. (by me)

I may have to retire on my winning streak (of 1)
:)

Kahadras
11-12-2005, 16:20
They had an interesting article in the latest Signs and portents about how to beat the Mimbari. Did you get a chance to look at it?

Kahadras

Great Harlequin
25-12-2005, 13:00
Huzzah!

I got my Narn fleet this morning. I've just started to clean them up after having a quick glance at the different variants I could change them into. Not the greatest packaging in the world but the figures have, fortunately, arrived intact unlike other purchases I wouldn't care to mention. :(

I should have them cleaned up and, at a stretch, built by this evening. Hopefully I can start painting them up in the coming week. :)

MUHAHAHAHA!!!! it was a historical moment today.. i thrashed the Minbari with my Earthforce fleet, never done before and probably never will be again. (by me)

I may have to retire on my winning streak (of 1)
:)
Heh!

Well done, mate! Any major change in Tactics or ships?

All the very bestest,

scottb
30-12-2005, 17:37
I have a Vorlon fleet for Babylon 5 wars (20k points), got the minis from AOG site as they are still selling them. I also prefer B5W to ACTA, ACTA is to simple for my tastes like BFG.
Edit: sorry 30k of vorlons (Including a planet killer bwhhhaaaa)

jazzdude78
02-01-2006, 22:48
Ive got a question for yall are the minis from Mongoose equivalent to which scale of the old AoG games Fleet action or B5 Wars?

koven_lexter
03-01-2006, 22:37
Ive got a question for yall are the minis from Mongoose equivalent to which scale of the old AoG games Fleet action or B5 Wars?
Most of the ships use the B5W scale models. Only the fighters use the FA scale models. But it says (or at least said) in the ACTA rules that they had no qualms with people using whatever scale models they want.

I have to say I don't think the fleet boxes are terribly good value for money. Yeah they're good for the ships you get for that money compared to what you'd have to pay to get those ships individually, but I think the mix of ships you get in some of the fleet boxes just isn't very practical in gaming terms. For example in the Narn box you get 4 G'Quan heavy cruisers. Because of how the points system works in ACTA, this is way too many than you could feasibly use, except in very large games where you'd need loads more of the smaller ships than you get in the fleet box. In other words some of the fleet boxes contain not very feasibly playable fleets (I don't mean underpowered, I mean you can't actually use those ships to make a legal fleet). This is based on the ACTA rules though, so if you're only buying them for the models then go right ahead.