PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Brets: First try

Arhalien
26-12-2008, 15:31
edit: new list further down.

Having just got the Bret army book I thought it might be wise to put a list up here for comments.
I'm trying to stick to a theme of a knightly order on a major crusade for the grail, so the questing knights stay I;m afraid, despite how poor they are.
It's 3 points over, so I may have to drop one of the braziers just to get it under.

Lords:
Brettonian lord: Questing vow, shield, barded steed. Sword of the quest, insignia of the quest, cuirass of fortune (joins questing knights)= 246

Heroes:
Paladin: BSB, barded steed. Morning star of Fracasse (joins knights errant) = 124
Damsel: Barded steed, lvl 2. Mane of the purebreed (horses always kill more than their riders anyway...), dispel scroll (Joins KotR) = 169
Damsel: lvl2. Chalice of Malfleur, dispel scroll (joins M@As) = 155

Core
8 Knights of the Realm. Full command = 213
8 Knights Errant, command, errantry banner = 201 (bit unsure about these guys; seem a bit unreliable)
14 bowmen. Brasier = 89
14 bowmen. Brasier = 89
20 Men at arms, command = 127

Special
8 Questing Knights, command = 251
5 yeomen, musician = 82
5 yeomen, musician = 82
3 Pegasus knights, musician = 175

Rare
5 Grail knights, command, banner of defence = 250

Total: 2253

Right, please, tear it to shreds.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Arhalien
27-12-2008, 17:15
Bump.

No-one have anything to say?

Arhalien
04-01-2009, 14:23
Bumping again: Please, someone must have some ideas.

If not, is there a good Brettonian forum I could look at for advice?

Thankk=s

EldarBishop
04-01-2009, 15:25
Looks okay. I few things that I wouldn't do or use.... but that's just me.

I'd keep the General together w/the BSB in whichever unit you want. Probably the Questing knights, looking over the list. You also still got some room in your # of characters cap, if you wanted more.

You seem to be missing some of the really good Virtues (Duty and Imp Knight are two that I almost always take). Using a BSB w/War Banner and VoDuty can really bump up your static CR.

I rarely use the Damsel's magic anyways, and just keep them for defense, can't use half the spells from the centre postion anyways due to LOS issues. So, I'd drop them both to level 1, maybe go up to 4 scrolls (not sure how magic heavy your environment is). I've personally never used the Mane before...

I rarely use peasants at all (I rarely play over 2k either). When I do, I try to use MaA at 25 models. One of the bowman units should be skirmishing, not sure why you picked 14, but no matter. I do like the Yeoman the way they are configured, though I try to do 6 wide. I'd add another PKn and a Std to that unit if you can find the points I found that it really helps.

I like to use a Trebuchet at 1500+, but that's entirely up to you.

Kn Errant are pretty good (for their cheap pv, you get S6 on the charge).

captain malachi
04-01-2009, 15:38
I can't remember the exact ruling, but I thought you couldn't give the BSB anything other than a magic banner? Or is it you can give it a banner or other stuff, can't remember. Anyway, if it's a knightly order, what's with all the peasants? Personally I've never been all that impressed with them, guess it's just personal taste though. I'd personally drop the pegasus knights and one of the yeoman units for another unit of KOTR as well, and maybe some extra grail knights if you have enough points.

Surgency
04-01-2009, 15:48
You can't give a magical banner any magical gear, but a mundane banner can still have magical gear.

I'd change your peasants a little, have 1 unit of 10 with braziers, and 1 unit of 16 with skirmish. That gives you quite a few shots, and you're bound to hit something.

It's a 2250 list, but you're at 2253, drop a peasant somewhere, make it legal :p

EldarBishop
04-01-2009, 16:09
A BSB (Paladin) can have:
a) magic items/virtues up to 50 pts and a non-magical standard
b) a magical standard of ANY point value, AND a virtue up to 50 pts

captain malachi
04-01-2009, 16:20
A BSB (Paladin) can have:
a) magic items/virtues up to 50 pts and a non-magical standard
b) a magical standard of ANY point value, AND a virtue up to 50 pts
That's it, left my book upstairs, couldn't be bothered to go and get it. I've never had to worry about it, I always take a magic banner.

Arhalien
04-01-2009, 17:10
Looks okay. I few things that I wouldn't do or use.... but that's just me.

1. I'd keep the General together w/the BSB in whichever unit you want. Probably the Questing knights, looking over the list. You also still got some room in your # of characters cap, if you wanted more.

2. You seem to be missing some of the really good Virtues (Duty and Imp Knight are two that I almost always take). Using a BSB w/War Banner and VoDuty can really bump up your static CR.

3. I rarely use the Damsel's magic anyways, and just keep them for defense, can't use half the spells from the centre postion anyways due to LOS issues. So, I'd drop them both to level 1, maybe go up to 4 scrolls (not sure how magic heavy your environment is). I've personally never used the Mane before...

4. I rarely use peasants at all (I rarely play over 2k either). When I do, I try to use MaA at 25 models. One of the bowman units should be skirmishing, not sure why you picked 14, but no matter. I do like the Yeoman the way they are configured, though I try to do 6 wide. I'd add another PKn and a Std to that unit if you can find the points I found that it really helps.

5. I like to use a Trebuchet at 1500+, but that's entirely up to you.

(Points numbered for ease)

1. I;m a bit reluctant to do that; it seems to be a rather ridiculous case of all the eggs in one basket, and I'd rather not have the risk of losing so much in one unit.
Also I'd rather not spend too many points on characters, hence why I haven't used the total

2. I've added in the virtue of duty, but I;m a bit unsure about the virtue of the impetuous knight; it seems a bit unreliable to me, and quite a good way to leave a unit stranded if the roll goes badly. (I have points to put it in isntead of the Tress though)

3. Dropped to lvl1. I'd quite like to keep the mane, as I've changed my mind and put that damsel with the knights errant in the modified list; if they are going to charge without me wanting them to I'd at least like them to be able to kill as much as possible when they do.

4+5. I've dropped the M@A to bulk out the Pegasus knights and put in a trebuchet. Not sure why I put the archers like that; I was planning for 2 large skirmishing units, realised I didn;t ahve the points and didn;t think about having 1 skirmishing and one not. They're 14 as I was just filling points.

Anyway, if it's a knightly order, what's with all the peasants? Personally I've never been all that impressed with them, guess it's just personal taste though. I'd personally drop the pegasus knights and one of the yeoman units for another unit of KOTR as well, and maybe some extra grail knights if you have enough points.

I think that medieval orders in the middle ages owned large portions of land, and thus it would make sense that they would have peasantry to call upon; anyway, it helps keep the list a bit more rounded.

Modified list:

Lords:
Brettonian lord: Grail vow, lance, barded steed, The Grail Shield, virtue of the joust, Tress of Isoulde. (joins Questing Knights) =245

Heroes:
Paladin: BSB, barded steed. War banner, vitue of duty (joins knights of the realm) = 129
Damsel: Barded steed, Mane of the purebreed , dispel scroll (Joins Knights Errant) = 134
Damsel: barded steed, dispel scroll x 2 (joins questing knights) = 134

Core
8 Knights of the Realm. Full command = 213
8 Knights Errant, command, errantry banner = 201 (bit unsure about these guys; seem a bit unreliable)
16 bowmen. Skirmish = 112
10 bowmen. Brasier = 65

Special
8 Questing Knights, command = 251
5 yeomen, shields, musician = 87
5 yeomen, shields, musician = 87
4 Pegasus knights, musician, banner = 245

Rare
5 Grail knights, command, banner of defence = 250
Trebuchet = 90

Total: 2243

Thanks!

EldarBishop
04-01-2009, 22:51
Only other thing I noticed, your Yeomen should have shields (you only need to find 8 pts for that).

Arhalien
04-01-2009, 22:55
Oops, added it up wrong. I had more than 2 points spare.
I've added the shields and it comes to 2243. (edited above)