PDA

View Full Version : Knights Errant: Yay or nay?

Arhalien
26-12-2008, 17:12
I'm currently assembling the second unit of knights for my Brettonian army, and I'm wondering how to make them. I've got a unit of 8 KotR already, and am thinking it would be wise to make them as Knights Errant with the Errantry Banner simply for something different. (my full planned list is in the army list forum if anyone thinks that would be useful)

I'm just wondering what people#s views of Knights Errant are. They hit hard with the banner, but they also seem very unreliable. I could put a paladin with them for the ldship, but that would have to be my BSB and I'm very reluctant to have him running off in a futile charge.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bretonnian Lord
26-12-2008, 17:25
Knights Errant are very worth it. 20 pts for a heavy cavalry model with strength 6? I'd take at least one unit of them - their Immune to Psychology on the charge special rule can be a game saver sometimes.

You did mention their main weakness: unreliability. Still, LD 7, while not as dependable as a Knights of the Realm's LD 8, is still fairly solid. Keep the General close by to provide LD or put a Paladin in the unit. If you use the Knights Errant to support other Knight units (by double charging) you shouldn't need to worry too much about putting the Paladin BSB in danger.

Arhalien
26-12-2008, 17:30
Yes, that was my thinking about their points cost and strength.

My worry about reliability is more that with the errantry banner they are only ld5 (6 with the paladin in), so more often than not they will charge without being ordered to, thus putting an expensive BSB and unit into a bad position.

W0lf
26-12-2008, 19:42
the knights go yay and the horses go nay (neigh)

^^

but yes they are definatly worth it and errantry banner is a must have.

Surgency
27-12-2008, 04:07
I never really liked KE before, but after running a unit alongside my KoTR, I'll never go without again :) they hit hard, and the ItP for a charge is priceless. Just keep a tight leash on them, or you'll lose them quick.

Asurasan
27-12-2008, 04:52
Bret's being my new army I've totally fallen for my Knights Errant. I usually use them in supporting charges with a unit of KotR. Admittedly I've only played 2 games so far with the army but I can't imagine a unit that more quickly gets its points back. So far, they have slaughtered a unit of Dwarf Hammerers to the man, broken 2 units of Nurgle marked Chaos Warriors(5 to hits suck).

In both of the games I've only put a damsel in their units that bump their horse strength to 4 and that's it. I want every attack possible to benefit from the Errantry banner. It might seem a common tactic to double charge a powerful unit with brets, but it's damn hard to do anything about. Try to break a big unit at the start in combined charges with another unit(usually my lords KotR unit) and then you don't need to worry about them darting off to their doom on some wild charge.

In both of my games I've yet to make a single impetuous test just because if they can charge I'm usually going for it.

This might also invalidate my previous advice as most people seem to think QK's are garbage but give questing knights a shot with the 3d6 LD banner as shock troops(using shield or gw at your discretion). I've found they are quite nifty for holding a flank when things go bad and keep that all to common flank charge when a lance gets stuck.

Peril
27-12-2008, 05:32
I put my Lord with the Errants. He gives them better LD and gives them a little more punch. My KotR have the BSB/Virtue of Duty/Warbanner so they don't need any help, and my Grail Knights definitely do not need any assistance. Once I put him there (I only give him a regular Lance, Enchanted Shield and Virtue of Confidence) I never looked back.

Arhalien
27-12-2008, 10:36
In both of the games I've only put a damsel in their units that bump their horse strength to 4 and that's it. I want every attack possible to benefit from the Errantry banner. It might seem a common tactic to double charge a powerful unit with brets, but it's damn hard to do anything about. Try to break a big unit at the start in combined charges with another unit(usually my lords KotR unit) and then you don't need to worry about them darting off to their doom on some wild charge.

Well, I also have a damsel with that magic item in my list. I was going to put her in the KotR, but maybe it would be better in the Knights Errant, just to make them an even more powerful battering ram... If I can't get combined charges with them because of their impetuousness, then being able to break the enemy anyway has to be my aim..

And given how hopeless a general I am then maybe having a unit that can charge for itself might be an improvement.... :o

Asurasan
27-12-2008, 17:19
Just a side note,

I see a few people suggesting putting a character into the unit to beef it but but so far I haven't found it to be worth it because 2(3 if a lord) more s6 attacks are nice, but generally much nicer in a KotR unit who seem more likely to rubber lance than my KE's. My logic is I paid for a banner, I might as well try to keep as many people getting a benefit from it as possible.

Just keep the general within 12 for at the very least the first turn, you will test impetuous on a 7. Not great but not 5 either. AND if they do fail, your lord isn't getting drug around the board by a unit of fliers anymore as he sits happily in his KotR unit.

Now this said. I'm far from the Bret expert, but the logic seems sound and works well for me in my games thus far.

edit.
I could be totally off base about the character in the unit. It might be the butter to your bread. I'm not trying to negate anyones advice I'm just adding my opinion to the mix.

FurryMiguell
27-12-2008, 17:41
Yay!

Cause they are very cool minis, I personally with not even consider making a Bret army without!

Nay!

Cause I really felt like writing Nay. its so much cooler than yay.

Arhalien
27-12-2008, 18:24
Just a side note,

I see a few people suggesting putting a character into the unit to beef it but but so far I haven't found it to be worth it because 2(3 if a lord) more s6 attacks are nice, but generally much nicer in a KotR unit who seem more likely to rubber lance than my KE's. My logic is I paid for a banner, I might as well try to keep as many people getting a benefit from it as possible.

Just keep the general within 12 for at the very least the first turn, you will test impetuous on a 7. Not great but not 5 either. AND if they do fail, your lord isn't getting drug around the board by a unit of fliers anymore as he sits happily in his KotR unit.

Now this said. I'm far from the Bret expert, but the logic seems sound and works well for me in my games thus far.

edit.
I could be totally off base about the character in the unit. It might be the butter to your bread. I'm not trying to negate anyones advice I'm just adding my opinion to the mix.

My thinking was more about putting in the character to make it up to 9 strong (not really workable with a box of 8...).
Your point about making the most of the banner's bonus is a good one though, and it's making me lean slightly more towards the damsel rather than BSB for the unit.

dubhgilla
28-12-2008, 00:54
I use them in blocks of 6 with musician.

A favourite tactic is to run them ahead of the main force and bait. Yes I know its not fluffy but no one EVER expects it!

If you run them up the flanks and angle them right, no panic tests for the rest of the army and a nice flank charge for your KotR.

I've used this mainly when playing other Cav heavy armys.

drgabe
28-12-2008, 14:43
After the invention of Errantry lists with the storm of Chaos, KE suddenly became much more widely used. Now that list is no longer valid in most play situations, I see the KE still are kept around in most armies. Nearly everyone will field one unit of the young knights, while many players will have more than one unit.
I use at least one unit of 9 knights and often times take another unit of of 6 (or 9 if the points allow).

I also see that many veteran players staying away from the Errantry Banner unless playing over 3000 points, for reasons that I can not explain.

decker_cky
28-12-2008, 16:00
The Errantry list rock.

"There's a girl watching...let's charge that big scary dragon to impress her."

:D

Knights errant are a nice, slightly cheaper knight to take in your army. If you take the errantry banner, you get a core hard hitting knight, and are better against fear causers.