PDA

View Full Version : Panic, Terror and Fast Cav

Dooks Dizzo
26-12-2008, 23:17
I've read through the book on what I believe to be the relavent parts but still have a question...

I was thinking of using my Dark Riders to bait people into my Hydra or even my Dragon. What I want to know is if I have to worry about causing a Painc check on my Hydra if the Riders fall back through it?

I can't find anything that says a Terror causing unit is immune to psycology or that Fast Cav 'feighting' doesn't cause a check.

Hence, am I taking a gamble in using my guys this way?

Goruax
26-12-2008, 23:34
Even if you choose to voluntarily flee, you still cause Panic checks - how do the Rank and File guys know you're faking it? :)

You are taking a gamble, which is why you need to weigh up the possibilites and see if it is worth it or not.

Dooks Dizzo
26-12-2008, 23:46
Dang. Got to be careful with those bait and switch tactics I guess!

I was hoping I missed the part where Terror causers were immune to such petty concerns, apperantly I did read all the relavent parts.

Big monsters should be Immune to Psycology methinks :)

GodlessM
26-12-2008, 23:55
Even if you choose to voluntarily flee, you still cause Panic checks - how do the Rank and File guys know you're faking it? :)

You are taking a gamble, which is why you need to weigh up the possibilites and see if it is worth it or not.

Incorrect. Feigned flight does not cause panic checks ever. Check the rulebook.

Dooks Dizzo
27-12-2008, 00:11
What page of the book? I read the feigned flight rules, must have missed it.

Kalandros
27-12-2008, 00:49
Incorrect. Feigned flight does not cause panic checks ever. Check the rulebook.

Not sure what edition you're reading but I cannot find this anywhere in the current rulebook.

GodlessM
27-12-2008, 00:55
So where in your rulebook does it say feigned flight causes panic?

Because if you read the fast cavalry section it doesn't say it. And if you read the charge reactions if doesn't say it. And if you read the panic section it doesn't say it.

Dooks Dizzo
27-12-2008, 01:08
The thing is that Feigned Flight is real flight with the exception that if you rally you can make normal movements instead of having to sit tight.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything about Monsters or Terror causing units being immune to panic.

Hence it looks like I will have to be careful about falling fast cav back through my Hydra.

GodlessM
27-12-2008, 01:45
Yea if you run through a friendly unit it panics them, but not in any other instance.

Talash
27-12-2008, 02:03
So where in your rulebook does it say feigned flight causes panic?

Because if you read the fast cavalry section it doesn't say it. And if you read the charge reactions if doesn't say it. And if you read the panic section it doesn't say it.

It has to say they DONT cause panic for them to NOT cause panic when the flee, regardless of their feigned flight rule. It is still a flee charge reaction, they are still moved as fleeing troops are, and they can still cause panic if their unit strength is 5 or more, as with (almost) every other unit in the game.

The only difference with Fast Cavalry is outlined in the "Feigned Flight" section of their rules, ie, if they rally they may reform as normal and then move during the remaining moves part of the movement phase. They may also shoot, but always count as having moved.

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 02:15
Any friendly unit with US5 or more that flees through another one will cause it to panic, assuming it is not immune to it. Exception are flyers, since they appear to hop over the unit.

Orcs couldn't care less if wolf-riders fled through their formations.

Goruax
27-12-2008, 04:33
As I said...R'n'F Halberdier Joe doesn't know R'n'F Pistolier Bill is actually a good tactician and not being chased by Huge McGribbly the Orc Giant.

Feigned Flight is just that, flight. Your unit is fleeing until it, and here's the key point, rallies. If they didn't have to rally, you'd be right, that they aren't fleeing.
But rallying more than implies that they are actually fleeing. Just they meant to flee and do something more useful than die.

popisdead
04-01-2009, 17:20
yes but bait and flee is what you do with fast cav so better hope you don't fail your leadership checks :)

Neckutter
05-01-2009, 04:24
goruax is wrong. i think RnF halbadier Joe was talking too much to RnF halbadier Tom, so he didnt get the memo that RnF pistolier Bill was planning on feinged flighting against huge monster gribbly od death jr.

oddly enough RnF Joe and Tom thought so highly of Bill, that when he turned tail and ran, it gave them a moment of fright.