PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Dark elves, actully used this list

backslide
27-12-2008, 12:38
finally got around to using my DE, chariots have yet to arrive and had not put my dragon together(how now though)

Level 4 High Sorceress @ 545 Pts
Focus farmilar
Pendant of Khaeleth
dispel scroll
manticore

Level 2 Sorceress @ 175 Pts
Dispel Scroll
Tome of Furion

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen @ 100 Pts

18 Black Ark Corsairs @ 230 Pts
Full command
Sea Serpent Standard

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

6 shades, great weapons

6 Cold One Knights @ 183 Pts
full command

6 Cold One Knights @ 226 Pts
full command
Banner of slaughter

Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 100 Pts

War Hydra @ 175

8+ casting
5 dispell

SevenSins
28-12-2008, 00:35
well as you've actually tried the list, how did it work out? Manticore for a sorceress seem a tad risky with its uncontrolable tendencies.

To my inexperienced eyes it looks decent enough, what are your general tactics? The list has a combination of strong melee and strong missile so I'd guess soften up and punch'em out?

VVar
28-12-2008, 05:35
It's a common setup, except for the manticore, which is a terrible mount for a lvl4. It doesn't offer the protection of a dragon in combat, dies easily to shooting, and is unpredictable-putting your most expensive character in places she doesn't want to be. Either make it a peggy and flesh out your other units, or lose something and make it a dragon. Both are substantially better choices

mattschuur
28-12-2008, 06:21
I agree with VVar in saying drop the Manticore. Maybe use points to add another 10 man Crossbow unit and/or add a combat character to go with the Corsairs as they won't take much down without some help. Strong list otherwise.
30 Repeater crossbowmen, shades and with 2 RBT's you have a very effective missile force so your knights shouldn't be getting bogged down by infantry blocks.

matt schuur

Suspicions
28-12-2008, 06:28
I agree as well, the Manticore could be fun and I can see where you were going with the concept...but I believe that you'll get more value and pts by using a Dark Peg and keeping her out of sight (easily done with the FF)

Also, the math on your knights is off...
6 Knights w/full command = 202pts
6 Knights w/full command and Standard of Slaughter = 237pts

backslide
28-12-2008, 23:14
well the dragon is together, and the chariots have arrived so will post a reworked list soon

backslide
28-12-2008, 23:28
Manticore for a sorceress seem a tad risky with its uncontrolable tendencies.

well she is LD 9 and frenzy is only an issue if she can charge somthing, generally she will hide, and use focus to cast her spells untill missile threats are killed off, then she can cause havoc going for small stuff and flanks and rear, even if she is on a dragon she is going to have to hide from time to time, manticore means I don't feel so bad about it!!

To my inexperienced eyes it looks decent enough, what are your general tactics? The list has a combination of strong melee and strong missile so I'd guess soften up and punch'em out?

pretty much, just because I can charge forward does not mean I will, happy to wait for spells and missiles to weaken things up before comiting to charges

here is a version I will have to try as well

Level 4 High Sorceress @ 360
dispel scroll
dispel scroll
pearl of blackness
scarfical dagger

Master @ 336
Pendant of Khaeleth
sword of might
manticore

19 Dark Elf warriors @ 148
Shields
Full command

18 Black Ark Corsairs @ 230 Pts
Full command
Sea Serpent Standard

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

6 shades, great weapons

6 Cold One Knights @ 183 Pts
full command no muso

Cold one chariot @ 100 Pts

Cold one chariot @ 100 Pts

War Hydra @ 175

6+ casting
4 dispell

I can be rather more agressive with the maticore, spears and corsairs give me a battle line, that its immune to fear and terror and I get to stab lots of spearmen so I have a decnet but not over powered magic phase

Suspicions
29-12-2008, 01:20
Again, good strong concept. You have a very aggressive army with decent mobility and some great potential...however:

I believe that one magic user in this force is not enough of a magical presence to be of much effect, even if she is a level 4, as she is forced into fulfilling the roles of both anti-magic defense and powerful magic offense. She ends up doing neither very well, in my own experience. A level 2 to support her makes both much more effective.

I feel that it is very worth paying the 4 extra points to give your Master a sea dragon cloak (in addition to the heavy armor / shield that I believe you've added into his points) so that he has a 3+ save as well as his inverse ward. In this manner he is more likely to survive if he does hit something you rather he did not due to Frenzy, or if you need him to break ranks on his own.

Also, the math on your Knights is off...

6 Cold One Knights with Standard and Dread Knight = 194pts

Fenix_
29-12-2008, 02:06
i am using a very similar list at 2k points (changing corsair for more spears, losing the CoK and adding dark riders) and the lvl4 with dagger as the only caster works fine agains nearly anything without 7-8 DD you don't get an overwhelming magic phase but cast spells each turn and get enough defense (but never tryed against a magic heavy DoC army..)
still, i dont like the pearl+dagger+ spearmen combo, your unit will have ld9 so panic and fear tests shouldn be a problem, and ItP means you cannot flee from charges with a unit you dont want to see in combat. I use the pendant on my sorceress, if not, i will go with the seal of ghrond probably, and just one scroll and the dagger (or 3 scrolls + dagger, not sure)

VVar
29-12-2008, 02:45
Trying to defend the manticore as a mount choice is a waste of time, apologies for being so blunt :). It's simply inferior for a level 4. If you must take it, so be it, it's all good in fun games but I would never use that combination in a competitive list

backslide
29-12-2008, 04:47
the manti is cheap and u get what you pay for having it over a dragon gives me points for more stuff really, and can still do alot of the things a dragon would