PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts about build of DE characters

BadSanta
27-12-2008, 18:09
I was thinking to start a Dark Elves army, but finally decide don’t do this. After meticulous study of them I understand what I prefer spill blood of Dark Elves more than spill others blood with their hands.
But in the studying process I have a lot of interesting thoughts about Dark Elves. I hope they are would be interesting for Dark Elves players and other gamers.

Something about me (this will help you to understand trend of my thoughts):
- I am not a powerplayer;
- I like to play interesting games (interesting for two players) and prefer unusual and difficult to play combos and army build;
- I love to convert and paint models and current model range do not stop my fantasy.

Here they are:

1). Dark Elf Sorceress

a). “Simply the best build, I think” [185 pts]

Level 2, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, Sacrificial Dagger

Suits for the new High Sorceress model.

Dark Elves army is an aggressive assault army with lots of dirty tricks in its sleeves. They are don’t need more than one Sorceress in my opinion. Here we have potentially huge amount of Power Dice for 2 spell casting (2 Army PD, 2 PD for Sorceress, 2 for Sacrifice, 1+D3 for Power of Darkness Spell = 7-10 PD (!)). Always use Lore of Dark Magic because we are – Dark Elves.
Usage – a “Magical Horror/Bait”. Spend all your starting PD on the Power of Darkness Spell first (4+1 Sacrifice PD) and all rest PD (1+D3+1) on the Second Spell. Result will tend to be a spectacular one, I think.
One fine bonus – our character and her unit are Immune to Psychology. This is the basis of “Magical Horror/Bait” strategy. I was planning to take a unit of 20 Black Ark Corsairs (7 in rank, FCG, handbows, 2 x handbow to Reaver, Banner of Murder) [253 pts], an Assassin (Manbane, Rune of Khaine) [140 pt] and a Sorceress. Maneuver, shoot (incl. magic missiles) provoke a charge of a hard hitting enemy assault unit, stand and shoot, then reveal assassin and dance.

2). Dark Elf Master

a). Sharpshooter [126 pts]

Heavy armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Lifetaker, Beastmaster scourge

Shoot at lone Mages, Skirmishing troops, Scouts (including – Cairn Wraiths ;)) etc. and kill them with pleasure.
I was planning to use him with a unit of 13 DE Repeater Crossbowman (7 in rank, shields, FCG) [163 pts] for rearguard duty. All Dark Elves have at least 2 Repeater Bolt Thrower in the rear you know.

b). Fighter [136 pts]

Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Soul Render, Armour of Eternal Servitude

Suits for the new Dread Lord with Great Weapon and Shield model.

Simply as the stick. We have 3 S4 attacks with –4 to AS; 3+AS (2+AS vs. shooting)/4+Regen. Best suits for strengthen blocks of cheap infantry. I was planning to use him with a unit of 29 DE Warriors (shields, FCG, Banner of Cold Blood) [233 pts] in the center of battle line.

c). Enemy Magic Disrupter [207-238 pts]

Cold One Chariot, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Lance, Ring of Hotek

For increased firepower I advice to take Repeater Crossbow and/or change Lance to Deathpiercer.

Usage – carry the Ring of Hotek near enemy super-duper-sega-mega Mage, watch the result. Chariot – for safety purposes. Can fight if need to. Will work best in pair with second Cold One Chariot

d). Assaulter [158 pts]

Cold One, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Enchanted Shield, Hydra Blade

Suits for the new Dread Lord on Cold One model.

We have 3+D3+1 S4 attacks and 0+ Armour Save. He can fight in the Cold One Knights unit and on his own. I prefer on his own.

e). Tough Guy [140 pts]

Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Soul Render, Potion of Strength

Simply very hard. We have 3 S6 attacks with –4 to AS and, for one turn, - 3 S9 attacks with –7 to AS. Will chop chariots, monsters, heavy cavalry, steam tanks (this one not for long) and such.
If you want +1 A and +1 W – take the Dread Lord.

f). Tough Guy 2 [155 pts] (look like 2e variant)

Cold One, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Sword of Battle, Potion of Strength

Suits for the new Dread Lord on Cold One model.

Usage – hunt for enemy chariots. 4 S7 Attacks with re-roll to Hit = 100% guaranteed success result (4 S7 attacks). After that – play by situation. Use him on his own.

g). Fighter 2 [132 pts] (resembles 2b variant)

Shield, Heartseeker, Blood Armour

We have 3 S4 attacks and –1 to AS with re-roll to Hit/Wound all the time. Our AS will grow to 1+ during 1-2 phases of hand-to-hand combat. Ideal for strengthening of cheap infantry blocks.

h). Fighter 3 [130 pts]

Armour of Darkness, Whip of Agony

Suits for the rumored new Dread Lord with 2 Hand Weapons model.

We have 4 S5 attacks with –3 to AS and own 1+ Armour Save. No Comments.

i). Raider 1 [189 pts]

Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon cloak, Lance, Biting Blade, Hydra Teeth

No ready model, difficult conversion needed.

Purpose – to destroy a big scary shooting unit, big unit with low AS, enemy Mages etc. Usage – fly to target, throw all 5 Teeth (we have effective range of throwing equal to 32 inches). After that – play by situation.

j). Raider 2 [203 pts]

Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sea Dragon cloak, Lance, Dagger of Hotek, 2 x Repeater Handbow

Usage – Bait. Fly to intended place of battlefield, shoot handbows, take an enemy charge (stand and shoot: 4 S3 shots hitting on 2+) of whatever unit and chop surprised enemy with your 4 S4 attacks and ASF rule. We will charge warmachines and weak units by ourselves with 3 S6 lance attack and 2 S5 Pegasus horn attacks with re-roll – this would be enough I think.
This combo is a very-very dirty trick against present High Elves (like Lions of Chrace etc.) who already accustomed to Always Strike First.

k). Raider 3 [190-206 pts] (a more hand-to-hand oriented variant of 2j)

Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Shield of Grond, Sea Dragon cloak, Lance, Whip of Agony, 2 x Repeater Handbows (if you like them)

We must charge the enemy to strike first. In HtH our hero will have an effective T4 and +1 to AS against wounds from S4 and higher S weapons.

l). Raider 4 – Sharpshooter [187 pts] (resembles 2a variant)

Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sea Dragon cloak, Lance, Lifetaker

Having superb mobility we will kill lone Mages, Skirmishing troops, Scouts (including – Cairn Wraiths ;)), Warmachine crews etc. at easy. Can stand in HTH for himself.

m). Raider 5 – Terrorbomb [194 pts]

Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon cloak, Lance, Deathmask

We have a move (charge :)) distance of 20 inches. This hero is a perfect cheap horror for enemy low Ld units.

3). Battle Standard Bearer (I think little about them)

a). On foot 1 – Scary One [161 pts]

Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Beastmaster Scourge, Dread Banner

One of our infantry units inspires Fear. Our goal is simple – make Dark Elves army composed only from Fear and Terror inspiring units.
I was planning to use him with a unit of 20 Black Ark Corsairs (7 in rank, FCG) [225 pts] in the shock assault unit role.

b). On hoof 1 – Scary one [175 pts]

Dark Steed, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Great Weapon, Dread Banner

One of our cavalry units inspires Fear. Our goal is simple – make Dark Elves army composed only from Fear and Terror inspiring units.
I was planning to use him with a unit of 9 Dark Riders (5 in rank, FCG, Shields) [197 pts] in the shock assault unit role. I think no one play Dark Riders this way. It is good – another surprise for the enemy.

Thank you for your patience. Please, feel free to post your comments and opinions.

Elves All The Way
28-12-2008, 07:34
what about simple
1. heavey armour, shield, Cold One, Pendant of Kaeleth and soul render
1+ AS and reverse armour save for hard hitters and soul render to give the master a bit more punch
Or
2. dread lord with exceutioners axe and blood armour
it'll be a risk at first with only a 5+ save but once he kicks off he wont stop, put him in a BG unit with ASF banner or if you like the risk put him by himself
there's a third one but it ticks me off cause a great combo would be
dreadlord with the blk amulet and i was hoping for the regen armour so first you roll for the ward then regen as back up, but like most dark elf things that 5pts gets in the way so instead
3. supreme sorceress with blk amulet and tome of furion on peggases
a nifty risky and suprising tatic use soulstealer (most likely you'll get it with five spells for grabs) to get up to six wounds, charge her into units and take the damage hopeing for the amulet to save her, then flee if you take too much damage and use soulstealer again to bounce her back up to six wounds.
P.S Havn't tried it n not sure if legal bt hoping it is :P

StormCrow
28-12-2008, 08:20
Pendant of Khaeleth with Blood Armour and a great weapon is my favourite choice for a master general in low points games. My BSB generally carries the ring of hotek and armour of darkness which I've found to be an entertaining combo.

I generally keep my dreadlord to fairly basic equipment; Pendant, Blood Armour, Soul Render in a unit of ASF black guard. It generally takes 2 rounds tops before he becomes very hard to kill while retaining decent fighting ability.

I liked your idea for the charioteer with ring of Hotek Badsanta. Adding the sea dragon cloak that halves the strength of shooting attacks would make this a killer combo to use against high elves...gives me an idea.

BadSanta
30-12-2008, 18:39
I've made a mistake: 2j) lance is illegal.

@Elves All The Way & StormCrow:
Thank you for your opinions guys. Glad to hear them.

To my regret the same theme on our Russian webforum doesn't gaver an interest from gamers.

@All readers:
Feel free to post your loveliest combos for Dark Elf characters in this thread. Make them youseful for all. Of course if they aren't TOP SECRET ;).