PDA

View Full Version : Magic in duels?

Drayken
27-12-2008, 18:30
I was playing against high elves with teclis and my lord challenged him. My opponent was under the impression that he was allowed to use magic in the duel instead of fighting (teclis is garbage in CC). Now I'm thinking :wtf: because the rules say you can't use magic in combat, but duels?

Help me clear up this misunderstanding.

nosferatu1001
27-12-2008, 18:52
He could cast magic into combat (ther challenge) only if he has spells that specifically allow him to. So he may be able to, in the magic phase, cast spells that affect you. Can't think of any right now, but there are defeinitely some, somewhere....

He could always cast flaming sword of rhuin etc to make himself better in close combat, as the spell targets himself.

However, once the magic phase is over -your lord gets to hit him. almost certainly he will die

Surgency
27-12-2008, 19:18
To answer your question, at the time the challenge is issued, no magic is allowed. Once the combat round is over, and it becomes Teclis' magic phase again (assuming he wasn't obliterated in combat, and his unit stayed put) he can cast a spell if it allows casting into combat. But otherwise, no, even Teclis can't cast magic in the combat phase :p

He could always cast flaming sword of rhuin etc to make himself better in close combat, as the spell targets himself.

IIRC, that only can be cast in the High Elf magic phase, so the guy would have to anticipate being charged the next enemy turn.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 20:17
Thanks a lot for the clear-up, and death to annoying ennemy wizards!

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 20:38
Experienced HE players rarely let you bring Teclis into combat.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 21:00
Good job they are so rare then ;).

No magic for wizards, they have to draw the line at making wizards not uber somewhere, alas I miss ye olde Tzeentch Champions :cries:.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 21:07
Well, it wasn't my smartest move ever either! I had tehenhauin with a bunch of jungle swarms (unbreakable!) so I decided to charge teclis and his unit of phoenix guard. As I said, not the smartest move, but I managed to execute teclis in one round of combat with a well placed killing blow, and then took out a whole rank before the swarms were pulverized by combat resolution. Still, tehenhauin escaped death and succeeded his flee, just as a stegadon came charging into the guard's flank!

Anyways, I'm getting off track here, but it was a really sweet moment!

Anton
27-12-2008, 23:45
Hmm, is Tehenhauin not unbreakable in the new rules, yet he can join unbreakable troops? Funny how GW break their own rules by making specific rules all the time.

Lord Inquisitor
27-12-2008, 23:54
Just to be clear as it's a subtle point:

1) You may cast spells while in combat (excluding magic missiles).
2) You may not cast spells into combat unless the spell specifies otherwise.

So a wizard in combat (afaik it makes no difference if you are in a challenge or not) may cast, but is going to be limited by what he can see (i.e. the enemy in front of him) and if he wants to cast spells against the enemy which he is fighting they can only be spells that specifically state that you can cast them into combat. Note that if you have a spell that doesn't require Line of Sight the wizard can cast freely out of combat.

Griefbringer
28-12-2008, 11:55
Hmm, is Tehenhauin not unbreakable in the new rules, yet he can join unbreakable troops? Funny how GW break their own rules by making specific rules all the time.

At least according to his rules he becomes unbreakable once he joins the swarm.

omgadinosaur
28-12-2008, 22:14
Well, it wasn't my smartest move ever either! I had tehenhauin with a bunch of jungle swarms (unbreakable!) so I decided to charge teclis and his unit of phoenix guard. As I said, not the smartest move, but I managed to execute teclis in one round of combat with a well placed killing blow, and then took out a whole rank before the swarms were pulverized by combat resolution. Still, tehenhauin escaped death and succeeded his flee, just as a stegadon came charging into the guard's flank!

Anyways, I'm getting off track here, but it was a really sweet moment!

When your fighting a T2 opponent, almost every blow is a killing blow. :D

slasher
29-12-2008, 17:01
when your S 2/3 (cannt rember which- but he is a SKINK...)

nosferatu1001
29-12-2008, 20:22
He;s strength 3, skinks are S3/T2 unless theyre a chief when theyre S4/T3

omgadinosaur
29-12-2008, 22:55
He;s strength 3, skinks are S3/T2 unless theyre a chief when theyre S4/T3

Actually he is S2 but it's relatively moot as his sword autowounds and doesn't allow armor saves.

But he's WS3 with 1A so he shouldn't hit that much...

nosferatu1001
30-12-2008, 00:17
WS3 - impressive! much better than the average skink :)

Condottiere
30-12-2008, 03:57
O/T We need halfling warrior priests. :D