PDA

View Full Version : The armies you'd like to see in warhammer

Drayken
27-12-2008, 19:27
It's a fact. GW rarely ever makes new armies. The last one was ogres a few years ago, but mostly they just renew old armies. There's nothing wrong with that, but they will eventually get to a point where every army is (almost) perfect.

With that in mind, what are the factions YOU'd like to see made into an army, and how would you represent them?

Let your imagination run wild!

Ammedie
27-12-2008, 20:20
though tecnicaly still a standing army and thus not relevent there is only one answer.

CHAOS DWARFS

not only are they woefull delaperdated there still loved (ive just spent 2 houres scraping beards of dwarfs and green stuffing ringlets back on) and there something that ist in any major fantisy setting, evil dwarfs! The full in the mao nicely in the darklands between to ogers and the empire (why the ogers got made befor chaos dwarfs baffles me) they make the armour for chaos forces and they have a unique set of army options that cant be done with any other (you can quite realisticaly (based on all the avaliable information) make a cathay army useing empire rules)

and there mentioned in alot of places in warhammer book. they are there but just dont quite make it. they realy need an army book.

and most importantly there an antidote to the irritatingly retentive starcharsed dwarfs.

HAIL HASNUT

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 20:26
Mythic army from the Hinterlands of Khuresh (sp).

Or more likely an actual Fishman army...:cries: they would look sweet.

If they were to do Chaos Dwarves I wish they would retcon them as Dark Dwarves...

Who's HASNUT?

Nuada
27-12-2008, 20:26
They could bring back Nippon

I've seen posts before saying they'd like to see Cathay, Ind and Khuresh (but they'd probably be similar to the LotR eastern armies)

Drayken
27-12-2008, 20:27
yeah, I have to say that was number one on my list too, but I was waiting for somebody else then me to state the obvious: GW has been ignoring chaos dwarves for too long now. They are a race rich with fluff and originality, and it would be a shame if they didn't have their own armybook in a few years.
Hail Hashut!

Apart from CD, we can think about all the other human factions out there: Tilea, estalia, araby, cathay, nippon, ind ... etc.
They could all be included in some kind of "Kingdoms of Men" armybook.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 20:28
Or Fabled Lumbria ;).

Nuada
27-12-2008, 20:37
I used to like the old norse army with ice trolls, berserkers, mammoths, dogs and lots of barbarians. The army was neutral, but i think they've made all the norse tribes worship chaos now

Mozzamanx
27-12-2008, 20:47
I once dreamed up an army for the Colleges of Magic. It was pretty awesome.

Lords- Level 5 wizards, knew all spells in their lore and had traits reflecting their magic. IE- Beast mages were handier in a fight, but Light Wizards helped protect their units.
Heroes- As well as Level 2/3 Mages, some sort of 'Spellbreaker' to stop the colleges exploding from amateur mages. In-game, combat heroes who pack lots of dispel power.

Core- Novice Fire, Heaven, Death and Beast mages. Packing bound spells like the old Horrors, and the champions were level 1 mages. Equipment like quarter-staves, to make them actually quite elite infantry (though unarmoured).
Core also carried 'Arcane Guardians', which were animated suits of armour to supply some combat infantry.

Special- Units of Light, Shadow, Metal and Life mages, exactly the same concept as the core but more focused on supporting magic.
Special also included 'Ironsides', big animated Ogre-style constructs which were almost unkillable.

Rare included magical cannons, as well as Triads of level 1 mages.

It was ridiculously unbalanced, encouraged all-gunline armies, and made almost no sense in the background. But it was awesome. :D

Drayken
27-12-2008, 20:52
Chaos warmammoths would be a blast! although honestly, chaos doesn't really need new awesome stuff, what with all it already has :cries:

What abou this
Nippon(based on medieval japan): samurais, mounted and on foot, awesome suits of armour with the scary masks, katanas, ninjas with shurikens, monks, big fighters (think sumo wrestlers), spells and magic items with artsy names like "wind of eternity", maybe also dragons.

By the way Malorne, Fabled Lumbria? :confused:

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 20:53
Warhammer world map. :D

Drayken
27-12-2008, 20:58
So is Lumbria Lustria's ugly cousin?

piratehooker
27-12-2008, 21:09
Araby! I mean, they already have a warmaster army for it, how hard could it be to add it to WHFB? Plus theres lots of room for magic dandy dandy types, think war elephants (fantasy-d of course), lots of fast cavalry and skirmishers, and a few super hard infantry units, plus flying carpets and genies. Oh and jannisarry-styled infantry, with guns or crossbows, puffy pants and fezzes or turbans.

Stormtrooper Clark
27-12-2008, 21:12
Dogs of War but it's not gonna happen, heck GW said so.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 21:12
Araby! I mean, they already have a warmaster army for it, how hard could it be to add it to WHFB? Plus theres lots of room for magic dandy dandy types, think war elephants (fantasy-d of course), lots of fast cavalry and skirmishers, and a few super hard infantry units, plus flying carpets and genies. Oh and jannisarry-styled infantry, with guns or crossbows, puffy pants and fezzes or turbans.

More likely super weak infantry units, as a precedence all known desert like nations have had powerful cavalry units (inc elephants) and rather weak infantry.

:cries: I would love flying carpet units...or more likey Fakirs on flying carpets.

darkace77450
27-12-2008, 21:14
I want to see a new and original race placed in western Naggyroth. That land is too big to be inhabited by only one civilization, and it would give us something new for the dark elves to fight (the high elves and dark elves always fighting each other is pretty stale, let's have some new people to go after please).

That or something from the Southlands or the East (though GW has specifically said many times that they are hesitant to do another human army because it wouldn't be unique enough).

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 21:15
Gargoyles in the undersea?

darkelves99
27-12-2008, 21:15
Chaos elves!!!
Another type of undead army!!!

Nuada
27-12-2008, 21:17
It's a complete rip off from dragonlance...... but looking at your pic Lord Malorne, made me think of those humanoid-dragon people (forgot their names, could be draconians)

There's an island in Warhammer called the Dragon Isles. An entirely aerial force, elite very few numbers, highly magical (without being too similar to DoC) :D

darkelves99
27-12-2008, 21:20
Maybe an elemental army, i dont know if youve seen conflux in heroes of might and magic 3 complete.

Jono-NI
I would like:-

Chaos Dwarfs - Seeing them redone in same way as Hell Cannon crew would be class. I didn't like hats anyways. Also more Persian-ey would be class.

Fishmen - Warcraft stole warhammer and put in Murlocks so warhammer needs to steal Murlucks from Blizzard :P If they looked like those fishmen by that guy in the other thread would be mental :D

Araby - I wanna see Djinn :)

Thanks for reading. All above is nonsense :D

Lord Malorne
It's a complete rip off from dragonlance...... but looking at your pic Lord Malorne, made me think of those humanoid-dragon people (forgot their names, could be draconians)

There's an island in Warhammer called the Dragon Isles. An entirely aerial force, elite very few numbers, highly magical (without being too similar to DoC) :D

Yep Dragonlance and yep Draconians, though only Sivaks can fly the rest can only glide short distances while Auraks have no wings at all (though a lot of magic).

Dragon Isles already have feral Lizardmen on them though :(.

darkelves99
27-12-2008, 21:24
what sort of things would be in araby? i know a djinn is like a genie, thats what my idea was about the elemental army. With sweet magic.

Nuada
27-12-2008, 21:24
Maybe an elemental army, i dont know if youve seen conflux in heroes of might and magic 3 complete.

That could work. Instead of grounding them in a particular location, have them teleport through gates (possibly something like Dryca's rules)

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 21:25
They could bring back Nippon

When did they have it before?

Someone mentioned fatguys aka Sumo Wrestlers? Large target, no AS, not even a default hand weapon? Possibly impact hits.

I'll stick with ogres.:cool:

Jono-NI
27-12-2008, 21:28
Urm i dunno much about it but is there any cool Japenese Mythology they could use for Nippon. Otherwise Samurai and sumos is pretty yawn :D

Nuada
27-12-2008, 21:29
When did they have it before?

3rd edition warhammer, it was an allied army at the back of the armies book. Most of it was samurai and ashigaru spearmen/gunmen........ as i remember you could take temple guard dogs, which were statue guardians, and a spirit horse (forgot it's name) which could fly

The perrys made quite a few ninja figures

LuciusAR
27-12-2008, 21:32
I'm going to be controversial here and say no the Chaos Dwarves.

Nostalgia aside, I see no purpose to them other than yet another example of that rediculous fantasy cliche of having an evil mirror race for every good race. I mean really is the best we can come up with? If we are going to resurrect a race why not one of the original ones such as the Firmir?

I can only attribute the mass of support for their return to rose tinted glasses. I'd be prepared to bet large amounts of money that had the army been supported and new versions released there would probably be calls for them to be dropped.

Nippon(based on medieval japan): samurais, mounted and on foot, awesome suits of armour with the scary masks, katanas, ninjas with shurikens, monks, big fighters (think sumo wrestlers), spells and magic items with artsy names like "wind of eternity", maybe also dragons.

Seeing as this is a Fantasy game, I'd rather GW came up with an original Fantasy race rather than a butchered version of a real countries mythology. Is that too much to ask?

Have GW ever actually stated that the inhabitants of Nippon are in any way based on Japan, or have we just assumed that based on the name?

definitely Araby; war elephants, desert raiders, fakirs, califfs, camel riders, guys on flying carpets, mages with genies/elementals, frenzied assassins drugged up on haschish, aladin style soldiers, vizirs. So much stuff there. plus it'd be a fun army to pit against the tomb kings!

See above.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 21:33
definitely Araby; war elephants, desert raiders, fakirs, califfs, camel riders, guys on flying carpets, mages with genies/elementals, frenzied assassins drugged up on haschish, aladin style soldiers, vizirs. So much stuff there. plus it'd be a fun army to pit against the tomb kings!

Jono-NI
27-12-2008, 21:36
The Tomb Kings could do with a proper enemy :)

Drayken
27-12-2008, 21:37
I see no purpose to them other than yet another example of that rediculous fantasy cliche of having an evil mirror race for every good race.

Not so. (well, yes with the dark elves but that's beside the point!)
Chaso dwarves aslo have a period like The Sundering in their history where some of them were corrupted by Chaos.

Also, the CD are based on an assyrian background, as cruel slavemasters and evil engineers compared to the stout dwarf craftsmen and warrior cliché.

Lord Asuryan
27-12-2008, 21:38
I once dreamed up an army of magically-powered automatons controlled by artficiers-even wrote a book for it. it was pretty cool.

then there was the weird elf subrace that I created a book for, who worshipped elemental powers, etc. (not at all woodelfy, actually)

either of those would be pretty cool to see, methinks.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 21:41
Same with the ogres! Introducing Cathay would give them a good ennemy, instead of having to travel all the way down to Khemri everytime they want a good scrap!

Jono-NI
27-12-2008, 21:42
Golden Army :)

LuciusAR
27-12-2008, 21:42
Not so. (well, yes with the dark elves but that's beside the point!)
Chaso dwarves aslo have a period like The Sundering in their history where some of them were corrupted by Chaos.

Also, the CD are based on an assyrian background, as cruel slavemasters and evil engineers compared to the stout dwarf craftsmen and warrior cliché.

The idea of them being based on the Assyrians is interesting however:

Why make a bastardization of a real race at all, why not come up with something from scratch? If I wanted to play the Assyrians I would play WAB not WFB.

Even if they did do a race based on the Assyrians, why make them evil dwarves?? Why not come up with something brand new?

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 21:46
From scratch? like what?

Nothing can now be unique as all concepts are drawn from existing sources...

So what would you make from scratch? Knowing that would be more useful in this thread than whining about WFB races.

omgadinosaur
27-12-2008, 21:53
Ok What I think is we should have is....

Warhammer Armies: Peasents

It's a mob of a ridiculous amount of village folk, farmers, and pitch fork enthusiasts. They aren't good at combat, they flee at any chance, and don't have much armor. But, they can harvest grain faster then any other warhammer army and can multiply like rabbits. Therefor whenever a unit dies, it comes back the next turn from the nearest table edge.

Why would anyone want to play this? Pitch Forks Baby. Pitch Forks!

Drayken
27-12-2008, 21:55
All GW does really is inject a bit of real world background into the various armies. Almost all the races are based off mythology. The only idea GW has made from scratch would be chaos, and even then demons aren't exactly new!

Tomb Kings are based on ancient egyptians, lizardmen on the mayans/aztec, empire on miedeval on 16th century europe, kislev on russia, ogres on mongolians, dwarves and norscans on vikings, wood elves on forest legends and feys, beatsmen on greek monsters and native americans, etc.

It's not really butchering as much as embellishing. I doubt warhammer would be as popular as it is if it was some completely made up magical world with no ties whatsoever to the real world that people can relate to.

Jono-NI
27-12-2008, 21:56
The idea of them being based on the Assyrians is interesting however:

Why make a bastardization of a real race at all, why not come up with something from scratch? If I wanted to play the Assyrians I would play WAB not WFB.

Even if they did do a race based on the Assyrians, why make them evil dwarves?? Why not come up with something brand new?

In that case no Empire because they're just Holy Roman Empire, no Beastmen they're just German tribes, no Khemri they're Egyptians etc

:D

darkace77450
27-12-2008, 21:58
Ok What I think is we should have is....

It's a mob of a ridiculous amount of village folk, farmers, and pitch fork enthusiasts. They aren't good at combat, they flee at any chance, and don't have much armor. But, they can harvest grain faster then any other warhammer army and can multiply like rabbits. Therefor whenever a unit dies, it comes back the next turn from the nearest table edge.

Why would anyone want to play this? Pitch Forks Baby. Pitch Forks!

We already have goblins, thanks.

Seeing as this is a Fantasy game, I'd rather GW came up with an original Fantasy race rather than a butchered version of a real countries mythology. Is that too much to ask?

GW has never done this before, so I doubt they will start being original any time soon.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:00
Ha ha, made me thing of The Holy Grail:
"Look, look, that exalted chaos champion is repressing me with his giant axe! SPLAT! We are a self ruling democratci community SPROTCH!"
*chaos champion panting* "They just never shut up! I've had enough. Men, we're done here. Lets go back to the chaos wastes where things are a bit more sane :D

i have yet to see a bretonnian crusade led by King Arthur and his Grail Knights on their coconnut horses!

IJW
27-12-2008, 22:01
If we are going to resurrect a race why not one of the original ones such as the Firmir?
[...]
Seeing as this is a Fantasy game, I'd rather GW came up with an original Fantasy race rather than a butchered version of a real countries mythology.
Does anyone else see the humour in putting down Japanese mythology as unoriginal, in favour of Irish mythology? ;)

omgadinosaur
27-12-2008, 22:01
We already have goblins, thanks.

GW has never done this before, so I doubt they will start being original any time soon.

Goblins don't have Pitchforks and have Orcs to help them out. Therefore Peasants is very much different then Orcs and Gobbos. :D

omgadinosaur
27-12-2008, 22:03
Ha ha, made me thing of The Holy Grail:
"Look, look, that exalted chaos champion is repressing me with his giant axe! SPLAT! We are a self ruling democratci community SPROTCH!"
*chaos champion panting* "They just never shut up! I've had enough. Men, we're done here. Lets go back to the chaos wastes where things are a bit more sane :D

i have yet to see a bretonnian crusade led by King Arthur and his Grail Knights on their coconnut horses!

In a white dwarf years ago there was a Bretonnian army based off of MP. It was very entertaining and contained a Black Knight complete with no limbs.

I wish I still had it.

(Sorry for double post. Comp did something goofy)

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:04
Even with the historical background, GW still makes things more interesting.
i.e. I don't think the ancient Egyptians had mages that created constructs of bone and metal in the shape of scorpions and giants to fight for them. In the same way, I doubt the barbaric tribes of Europe and America have ever gone on a wild hunt with centaurs, satyrs, minotaurs and dragon ogres!

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 22:06
..Skaven AKA the loathsome ratmen AFAIK are 'original'.

Also talk of those birdmen IIRC in the last ed Hordes of chaos book or the rulebook.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:07
Does anyone else see the humour in putting down Japanese mythology as unoriginal, in favour of Irish mythology?

Sorry, but I think samurais in crazy suits of armour with shuriken throwing ninjas have a bit more to offer as an army then old bearded men with shillelaghs and leprecons. Plus, the leprecons are probably already included in the wood elf feys anyways.

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 22:08
Have GW ever actually stated that the inhabitants of Nippon are in any way based on Japan, or have we just assumed that based on the name?
Also, approximate geographic location on WHFB map parallels Japan.

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 22:09
LepreCON - Dublin fantasy convention?

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:10
In a white dwarf years ago there was a Bretonnian army based off of MP. It was very entertaining and contained a Black Knight complete with no limbs.

Cool! :D

Also talk of those birdmen IIRC in the last ed Hordes of chaos book or the rulebook.

I did see someone on the internet who'd done an entire army of the Kraw birdmen, complete with chariots and bird lords. How they manage to get their chariots to fly as the rest of the army is beyond me.

darkelves99
27-12-2008, 22:13
i still think an elemental army would be sweet, genies,firebirds,pixies,titans,gremlins,naga. You could put loads of stuff into one of those armies. The possibilitys are endless.:D:D

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 22:14
Cool! :D

I did see someone on the internet who'd done an entire army of the Kraw birdmen, complete with chariots and bird lords. How they manage to get their chariots to fly as the rest of the army is beyond me.

Pegasus? Come on you must have see that film with the pegasus chariot?

If people ask 'why do people who can fly ride on flying horses?' the answer is ' the same reason we ride on horses you dumb *****!' .....(I watched Stuck on you recently) ;).

Aaah, Leprechauns would be awesome.

Nuada
27-12-2008, 22:14
Does anyone else see the humour in putting down Japanese mythology as unoriginal, in favour of Irish mythology? ;)

I really like Irish Mythology, hence my user name :D

I think it has alot to offer.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 22:16
i still think an elemental army would be sweet, genies,firebirds,pixies,titans,gremlins,naga. You could put loads of stuff into one of those armies. The possibilitys are endless.:D:D

If you have a little search around there is fan made lists of that army, also a member has it in his sig as '16 new warhammer armies' or some such (user name escapes me).

Jono-NI
27-12-2008, 22:17
Sorry, but I think samurais in crazy suits of armour with shuriken throwing ninjas have a bit more to offer as an army then old bearded men with shillelaghs and leprecons. Plus, the leprecons are probably already included in the wood elf feys anyways.

I really dislike people who talk about Ireland like that :(

We do have running water now and electricity ya know.

Anyway Leprechaun! And plus Irish mythology isn't all about them either!

IJW
27-12-2008, 22:20
I really like Irish Mythology, hence my user name :D
So do I, and I love my one remaining Fimir model - it just struck me as amusing that someone was using Fimir/Fomors as an example of originality v. Japanese/Chinese temple dogs, dragons etc.

Hmm, how about Monkey, the Great Sage Equal of Heaven? :)

Ammedie
27-12-2008, 22:21
i think, after chaos dwarfs,

Araby wizards with lots of bound genies and djin elephants skirmishers and flying carpets! itd be fantastic.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:22
I really dislike people who talk about Ireland like that

We do have running water now and electricity ya know.

No offense intended, I know Ireland is a great place, been there last summer.
It's just that Irish mythology and history doesn't have as much to offer as Japan's does.

IJW
27-12-2008, 22:26
It's just that Irish mythology and history doesn't have as much to offer as Japan's does.
In that case you don't know much about Irish mythology, let alone Celtic mythology as a wider topic... and that's from someone who is heavily into Japanese and Chinese mythology.

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:30
In that case you don't know much about Irish mythology, let alone Celtic mythology as a wider topic

Please fill me in then. Unfortunately for celtic stuff, Albion already took most of it, like druids, ogham magic, stone circles, fen beasts, etc. Anything else?

Also I don't recall the Irish spending centuries of warfare between rival clans, like the japanese did.

darkace77450
27-12-2008, 22:31

Check out The Swords of Lankhmar and you will see many similarities between the antagonists of that book and the Skaven. And birdmen are hardly an original idea.

I'm not saying that GW is bad for being original; originality is very hard to come by anymore. And I'm not saying GW doesn't put their own unique and interesting spin on things.

But I am saying that the company that gave us such gems as the famous explorer Marco Columbo :rolleyes:, the great conqueror Julius Geaser :rolleyes:, the great thinker Leonardo di Miragliano :rolleyes:, and the Amaxon River with the fabled female natives that live there :rolleyes:, has shown they are more than willing to copy-and-paste other ideas when thinking outside the box becomes too difficult.

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 22:33
There is nothing new under the sun; presentation matters.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 22:34
Well its what I come to expect from GW, anything else is just going to make me pissed off at GW (like we all get at times).

For me I like that the rules are diverse enough for each army that each concept above could be applied to those armies with minimal effort.

RE ratmen: I did say AFAIK (disclaimer ;)).

Drayken
27-12-2008, 22:40
yeah, i have to say GW isn't always too subtle about stealing things from history books.

Alright, how about this. As a new army for warhammer: the Amazons. There's a whole lot of unoccupied space west of Naggaroth and in Lustria. So how about a whole army of GI Jane's, riding panthers, big birds or silver back gorillas, complete with moon priestess, totem warriors with wooden masks and wood elf like infantry. Stalking hunters, blessed springs and all that, with a slightly celtic, greek/roman influence and there you go! An all new army! i'm pretty sure it's already been done somewhere, heck there's even an amazon mordheim warband and bloobowl team.

Condottiere
27-12-2008, 22:49
In that case you don't know much about Irish mythology, let alone Celtic mythology as a wider topic... and that's from someone who is heavily into Japanese and Chinese mythology.I think Irish mythology deserves more mention in WHFB than Fomorians. And I've studied Celtic mythology and am working my way through Far Eastern.

IJW
27-12-2008, 22:53
Please fill me in then. Unfortunately for celtic stuff, Albion already took most of it, like druids, ogham magic, stone circles, fen beasts, etc. Anything else?
Cúchulainn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cúchulainn) (MISTER Herohammer)
The Táin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Táin_Bó_Cúailnge)
The rest of the Ulster Cycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ulster_Cycle)

Then bear in mind that that's just one of four distinct sets of mythology just for Ireland. Add in the Tuatha Dé Danann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_Dé_Danann) (longer list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tuatha_Dé_Danann)) and Fomors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomor) from the mythological cycle, plus the Fenian and historical cycles and irish mythology is vast.

Now look at Irish mythology being only part of Celtic mythology - add in the Mabinogion of Welsh myth (cauldrons of immortality etc.), Scottish and Northern French mythology and it's a huge and rich field.

That's ignoring all the stuff like leprechauns and pixies which were made 'twee' by the Victorians. Look at Kelpies and the Each uisge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Each_uisge) for some rather scarier fairies.

Also I don't recall the Irish spending centuries of warfare between rival clans, like the japanese did.
Like I said, you don't appear to know much Irish mythology - warfare and raiding between rival tribes is the main foundation of the stories... ;)

Nuada
27-12-2008, 22:56
There's some good characters in irish mythology, it's quite dark. Off the top of my head Cuchulane (think that's how you spell it) defended a whole town on his own because he goes into a berserk rage and changes into a monster (think Slaine from 2000AD is based on him), he kills friend and foe

Ward.
27-12-2008, 22:59
I'd jump at rules for an all dragon or sky titans list, and by rules I mean thoroughly play tested and guarenteed to be legal in all tournements for at least 2 more editions.

Gearwar
27-12-2008, 23:02
I used to like the old norse army with ice trolls, berserkers, mammoths, dogs and lots of barbarians. The army was neutral, but i think they've made all the norse tribes worship chaos now

Have thier been a Norse army?!
Thats so cool! Mammoths for the win!

Halelel
27-12-2008, 23:06
Well, here's a list of armies :

Chaos Dwarfs - nuff said

Albion - have all the remaining inhabitants of Albion (wildmen, albion giants, tribe of elves, whatever) all forming an alliance to battle the Lizardmen who are trying to wipe everyone out.

Halflings - archers, farmer militia, hot pots, what more could you want???

Kislev - already have a decent semi-list with kossars, boyars, winged lancers, gryphon legion, tzarina, and tsar boris. Just need to expand it a bit (war wagons!) and it would be good to go.

Araby - flying carpets, djinns, genies, camel riders, tons of light cavalry, etc. etc. (Could be the first warhammer army with ZERO traditional infantry)

Tilea / Estalia - RIP Dogs of War, :(

Pirate Kingdom of Sartosa - fine, take away our Dogs of War, but give us our Pirate Kingdom army!

Sky Titans - I refuse to accept that lame Ogres took them all out.

Cathay - could do a wide variety of interesting armies here.

Hobgoblin Khanate - they WERE the primary enemy of Cathay in the fluff and had armies that stretched entire horizons. GW reduced them to being the boot lickers of the Chaos Dwarfs...unacceptable.

Norsca - non-chaos norsemen and norse dwarfs working together. Barbarians and berserkers galore.

Nippon - as long as it's not all ninjas and samurais.

Ind - war elephants, lots and lots of war elephants!

Kraw - the birdmen are hopefully not a lame subset of beastmen. Put them in Western Naggaroth mountains and make them enemies of the Dark Elves.

Amazons - warrior women of Lustria. It would also explain why the Lizardmen don't kill on sight all humans (notice : "All", since they like to kick Norse butt for some reason, but loved Marco Colombo)

Lost Isles of Elithis - (not sure on the background of this place, so just making stuff up on the spot) But what about savage, feral...elves??? Why not! Have them as the target of continual attacks by the southern daemons, Empire deserves a break.

Hinterlands of Khuresh (that insectoid race that gets mentioned could be here, ala' Tyranids of WHFB)

Fimir - yes please, although the fluff would have to be revised.

Dragon Monks - have them be actual half men - half dragon bloods. Human troops that can use flame template attacks...why not!

Fishmen - Mutant Ninja Turtles? (Turtle Isles area??)

Nuada
27-12-2008, 23:07
Have thier been a Norse army?!
Thats so cool! Mammoths for the win!

Not an official army book, it was a citadel journal army. I liked it, i remember one guy had built his own 28mm longship, looked great

darkace77450
27-12-2008, 23:07
thoroughly play tested

You do realize we discussing GW here right? :angel:

darkace77450
27-12-2008, 23:10
Well, here's a list of armies :

Chaos Dwarfs - nuff said

Albion - have all the remaining inhabitants of Albion (wildmen, albion giants, tribe of elves, whatever) all forming an alliance to battle the Lizardmen who are trying to wipe everyone out.

Halflings - archers, farmer militia, hot pots, what more could you want???

Kislev - already have a decent semi-list with kossars, boyars, winged lancers, gryphon legion, tzarina, and tsar boris. Just need to expand it a bit (war wagons!) and it would be good to go.

Araby - flying carpets, djinns, genies, camel riders, tons of light cavalry, etc. etc. (Could be the first warhammer army with ZERO traditional infantry)

Tilea / Estalia - RIP Dogs of War, :(

Pirate Kingdom of Sartosa - fine, take away our Dogs of War, but give us our Pirate Kingdom army!

Sky Titans - I refuse to accept that lame Ogres took them all out.

Hobgoblin Khanate - they WERE the primary enemy of Cathay in the fluff and had armies that stretched entire horizons. GW reduced them to being the boot lickers of the Chaos Dwarfs...unacceptable.

Norsca - non-chaos norsemen and norse dwarfs working together. Barbarians and berserkers galore.

Nippon - as long as it's not all ninjas and samurais.

Ind - war elephants, lots and lots of war elephants!

Kraw - the birdmen are hopefully not a lame subset of beastmen. Put them in Western Naggaroth mountains and make them enemies of the Dark Elves.

Amazons - warrior women of Lustria. It would also explain why the Lizardmen don't kill on sight all humans (notice : "All", since they like to kick Norse butt for some reason, but loved Marco Colombo)

Lost Isles of Elithis - (not sure on the background of this place, so just making stuff up on the spot) But what about savage, feral...elves??? Why not! Have them as the target of continual attacks by the southern daemons, Empire deserves a break.

Hinterlands of Khuresh (that insectoid race that gets mentioned could be here, ala' Tyranids of WHFB)

Dragon Monks - have them be actual half men - half dragon bloods. Human troops that can use flame template attacks...why not!

Fishmen - Mutant Ninja Turtles? (Turtle Isles area??)

You forgot the Southlands and the Border Princes.

IJW
27-12-2008, 23:20
Not an official army book, it was a citadel journal army. I liked it, i remember one guy had built his own 28mm longship, looked great
In 3rd edition Norse had a full army list in the Warhammer Armies book - as this was before the times of each army getting it's own book, they were 'tournament legal' (as far as such things went back then) on the same level as Dwarves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Goblinoids etc.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 23:20
And Gargoyles of the undersea!

Halelel
27-12-2008, 23:21
You forgot the Southlands and the Border Princes.

Nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking???

The list was meant as my personal wants, but I'll address your suggestions.

Border princes are just blah, I don't see how they could be a "new" army really.

Southlands are covered pretty well by the Lizardmen in the region. I suppose you could have those monkey men who live in the trees and harass the Lizardmen. Or the tribes of Ebonians (from TK fluff) that would resemble the Zulu tribes of Africa (which could be potentially awesome)

Ward.
27-12-2008, 23:24

They're not, the skaven are a mix of a movie one of the designers watched with some nazi themes thrown in (although thankfully not set in stone and mostly glossed over).
None of GWs stuff is original, but that makes sense when you look at GWs roots.

Check out The Swords of Lankhmar and you will see many similarities between the antagonists of that book and the Skaven.
There's a better series for reference, about some rats that live on a nuclear testing island and escape to London.
They gradually mutate into small humanoid creatures, develop a larger black warrior caste and a single large breeding queen, I've forgotten the name though.

You do realize we discussing GW here right? :angel:

Yes, well it's not like GW couldn't get it close enough to still be interesting.

Lord Malorne
27-12-2008, 23:28
They're not, the skaven are a mix of a movie one of the designers watched with some nazi themes thrown in (although thankfully not set in stone and mostly glossed over).
None of GWs stuff is original, but that makes sense when you look at GWs roots.

I did say AFAIK ;).

Drayken
27-12-2008, 23:43
Like I said, you don't appear to know much Irish mythology - warfare and raiding between rival tribes is the main foundation of the stories...

On the other hand, the irish have probably never had warfare on the scale of the japanese feodal wars. That'show the whole samurai code of honour thing started.

It is true though, i don't know that much irish mythology, and after reading through some of your stuff, I have to say there's a lot of it! BUT how exactly would you fit that into a warhammer armybook?

Drayken
27-12-2008, 23:44
P.S. I do like the kelpies and the cuchulain myth.

AramilSairSianontel
28-12-2008, 00:06
Personally my vote would go to Araby. It's new and it hasn't been done before...but i'd also love to see Japanese samurais charging the empirial gunlines...and live to cut them down-last samurai style!
What about a non-racial army? I'm talking about peaple, who would be united by the realisation that they belong to a common nation..not race. Maybe a powerful, heavenly city like an ideal babylon, where dwarves and elfs and maybe lizardmen, would have constructed a civilisation and lived apart from each one's race...or/and this city's dark sister with demons, chaos warriors and dwarfs etc etc...
BTW:
Chaos is NOT a GW original idea but taken from Michael Murcok's mythology,and the books of Elric and the eternal cahmpion-completely ripped off i would say-which is not bad...even though we're talking about a game, myths need to stay alive...

Halelel
28-12-2008, 00:13
What about a non-racial army? I'm talking about peaple, who would be united by the realisation that they belong to a common nation..not race. Maybe a powerful, heavenly city like an ideal babylon, where dwarves and elfs and maybe lizardmen, would have constructed a civilisation and lived apart from each one's race...or/and this city's dark sister with demons, chaos warriors and dwarfs etc etc...

That's how I envisioned Albion's forces to be like.

After the Dark Shadows campaign, say there were some dwarves/elves/whatever who decided to stay behind and make a new life on the island with the natives. Well, now they find out the Lizardmen want to purge the island of all warm bloods, so they form a confederation of sorts to protect their new nation. The whole premise would be based on, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Kirth
28-12-2008, 00:35
Army of Gorillas.

Ghost Rain
28-12-2008, 00:42
I like the Norse army idea.

It could be that the people of Norsca were not affected by chaos mutation (to an extent) and that in some ways they are different and similar to the other Notherners.

And they could even possibly be allied with the Norse dwarfs.

I would like to see the cultural differences of the Norse Dwarfs compared to the other Dwarfs.

And instead of having heavily armoured Chaos warriors like the Warriors of Chaos do the Norse people would just have a horde of lightly armoured warriors, kind of like Mauraders but not with the influence of Chaos.

And since they could be allied with Norse dwarfs the army would have more range weapons than the Warriors of Chaos have.

Velsharoon
28-12-2008, 00:56
Im afraid i must say that im totally in favour of GW pillaging our world for ideas

As other users have said you cant really be unique any more and its nice to relate to them on our level so to speak

Plus there is so much untapped mythology and religion that I would love to see modelled- india, albion, araby...all would have their place

Stormtrooper Clark
28-12-2008, 01:15
I highly doubt Araby, Indy etc will be done because it's a tricky subject to dabble in without some ***** sueing Games Workshop because their "Reinforcing negative stereotypes" and crap like that.

spetswalshe
28-12-2008, 01:36
There's a better series for reference, about some rats that live on a nuclear testing island and escape to London.
They gradually mutate into small humanoid creatures, develop a larger black warrior caste and a single large breeding queen, I've forgotten the name though.

James Herbert's Rats trilogy, I think.

And fluff-wise, I'm all for more human armies - Ind, Cathay etc. After the Empire's been holding back chaos for so long, it's about time they got their hand in. Though I agree that they wouldn't really be unique enough to sell.

Personally, I'd like either a generalised DoW list (with options for non-human mercs, maybe?) or a low-tech beast race.

RossS
28-12-2008, 05:41
Kislev offers a lot of opportunities for a very different type of GW army. Cossacks, bears by the dozen, war wagons, Strelsy, Winged Lancers, Berdiche axemen, Oprichniks..god, let's please just forget those idiotic Kossars. Russian/Polish/Lithuanian history is rich in the characters and evotic visuals that could really bring the whole thing alive. (Who doesn't love Eisenstien's stunnign historical epics?) Plus, the Kislevites are in the Old World, and could conceivably fight just about anyone, unlike say the Nipponese (Tokugawa seclusion ordinances anyone?).

Feefait
28-12-2008, 05:44
fimir! though it has been said numerous time the are dead and gone from the wh world and mythology.

Condottiere
28-12-2008, 05:56
That's ignoring all the stuff like leprechauns and pixies which were made 'twee' by the Victorians. Embarrassingly annoying.

Like I said, you don't appear to know much Irish mythology - warfare and raiding between rival tribes is the main foundation of the stories... ;) By God, the Irish are so conservative that they refuse to let this tradition go.

Albion - have all the remaining inhabitants of Albion (wildmen, albion giants, tribe of elves, whatever) all forming an alliance to battle the Lizardmen who are trying to wipe everyone out. Anything uniquely Albion, besides Truthsayers, Dark Emissaries and Moor Beasts?

Halflings - archers, farmer militia, hot pots, what more could you want??? They seem rather bland, on the surface.

Kislev - already have a decent semi-list with kossars, boyars, winged lancers, gryphon legion, tzarina, and tsar boris. Just need to expand it a bit (war wagons!) and it would be good to go. Kislev have War Wagons?

Araby - flying carpets, djinns, genies, camel riders, tons of light cavalry, etc. etc. (Could be the first warhammer army with ZERO traditional infantry) That depends on how historical you get.

Tilea / Estalia - RIP Dogs of War, :( PITY

Pirate Kingdom of Sartosa - fine, take away our Dogs of War, but give us our Pirate Kingdom army! Rather one dimensional for the crew, since you'd have to rely on special characters, such as Black Sparrow, Hairy Morgan, Captain Hanger and so on.

Sky Titans - I refuse to accept that lame Ogres took them all out. Deal with it.

Hobgoblin Khanate - they WERE the primary enemy of Cathay in the fluff and had armies that stretched entire horizons. GW reduced them to being the boot lickers of the Chaos Dwarfs...unacceptable. There are just four basic units.

Norsca - non-chaos norsemen and norse dwarfs working together. Barbarians and berserkers galore. No variety.

Nippon - as long as it's not all ninjas and samurais. Not all, but mostly. :D

Ind - war elephants, lots and lots of war elephants! Is there a published profile?

Lost Isles of Elithis - (not sure on the background of this place, so just making stuff up on the spot) But what about savage, feral...elves??? Why not! Have them as the target of continual attacks by the southern daemons, Empire deserves a break. I thought feral Elves lived next door to Bretonnia.

Hinterlands of Khuresh (that insectoid race that gets mentioned could be here, ala' Tyranids of WHFB) Angkor Wat.

Fishmen - Mutant Ninja Turtles? (Turtle Isles area??)There's only a single spawning, and unless they are a subspecies of Genestealers, unlikely to propagate.

Army of Gorillas. Done that: Orcs

Still lazy.

darkace77450
28-12-2008, 08:37
Nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking???

Not at all. Your post looked like a laundry list of what armies in the Warhammer world are uncovered, I saw no indication that it was your personal want list. I was just trying to help cover the only two places not on your extensive list, for the sake of completion.

Nuada
28-12-2008, 10:20
In 3rd edition Norse had a full army list in the Warhammer Armies book - as this was before the times of each army getting it's own book, they were 'tournament legal' (as far as such things went back then) on the same level as Dwarves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Goblinoids etc.

It's many years since i've seen/used the book, but wasn't the norse an allied/mercenary army list at the back of the book???

IIRC certain "main" armies could choose an allied contingent, but i might be wrong

IJW
28-12-2008, 11:02
It's a long time since I read it, but I thought Norse had a full list. Could be wrong, though.

Balthar
28-12-2008, 11:36

I'm actually building an army like this. Just for the fun of it.
I used loads of Grenadier Barbarians, put a Marauder horseman on a polar Wyrm ( grenadier Wyvern), a Female Barbarian with a sabretooth pet, a Wooly Rhino with Barbarian crew. I used a Demonworld Giant as a Half Giant. Some old Orcs from Nick Lund on wolves, the Orcs got blue skin, and a few Bears, Sabrethooth Man, etc as Ogre Troll things.

I would like to see the Chaos Dwarves redone first.

Then, maybe a really cool amazone army. Not the feathered Inca stuff, more a Xena like army. With some nice wild beasts.

Nuada
28-12-2008, 12:19
It's a long time since I read it, but I thought Norse had a full list. Could be wrong, though.

I think the norse list was in a white dwarf (around WD120ish) still legal though. I remember i had a battle v's a 3rd ed norse army, he'd changed it slightly so he had a hero on a flying golden boar (representing Frey), and a returning hammer (for Thor)

Ward.
28-12-2008, 12:22
I did say AFAIK ;).

Fair enough, It just sounded like you might want to know for sure :o

AramilSairSianontel
28-12-2008, 12:24
That's how I envisioned Albion's forces to be like.

After the Dark Shadows campaign, say there were some dwarves/elves/whatever who decided to stay behind and make a new life on the island with the natives. Well, now they find out the Lizardmen want to purge the island of all warm bloods, so they form a confederation of sorts to protect their new nation. The whole premise would be based on, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Yes, that's it, maybe with a mixed religion for all and a common culture, which will make them say, we're not high elves, we're not dwarves, we're albionites or whatever the island is called-maybe something with hints of a druidic religion, to unite them, something to combine mysticism and honor..also maybe an open society, which would greet all newcomers who want to join...like a frustrated giant :D or is this too much?:rolleyes:

by the way i think you made lizardmen too evil....

I'm actually building an army like this. Just for the fun of it.
I used loads of Grenadier Barbarians, put a Marauder horseman on a polar Wyrm ( grenadier Wyvern), a Female Barbarian with a sabretooth pet, a Wooly Rhino with Barbarian crew. I used a Demonworld Giant as a Half Giant. Some old Orcs from Nick Lund on wolves, the Orcs got blue skin, and a few Bears, Sabrethooth Man, etc as Ogre Troll things.

I would like to see the Chaos Dwarves redone first.

Then, maybe a really cool amazone army. Not the feathered Inca stuff, more a Xena like army. With some nice wild beasts.

Love your army...all this time i've been thinking won't we see a norse army non-influenced by chaos? Maybe with a Conan general leading the "pure" barbarians and heroes against evil, like sigmar, or maybe even Rogar from Heroquest so long ago?
Ask the female barbarian if she's interested for a date with an elf:angel:love the concept can't wait to see the model:rolleyes:

Quetzl
28-12-2008, 12:29
Those desert Insectoid things that were detailed in the Ogre Kingdom book really inspired me. I'd love to see some Warhammer Tyranids, that would be amazing! I dunno if they've got a codename but the Six Legged Freaks will do...

Anyways, if not that wildly crazy army then it's gonna have to be Chaos Dwarfs as they're the only thing GW have given any inclination about at all.

LuciusAR
28-12-2008, 12:59
I wasnt aware that the Firmir were taken from Irish Mythology. I take my comment back then.

Anyway my point is that given that this is a Fantasy background there surley must be room to come up with some new fresh concepts rather than just adapt real world culture/mythology to the Warhammer world.

The idea that GW cant Invent a brand new race which doesnt just rip off an existing idea (please note there is a big difference to being inspired by and blatanly copying) just seem to me to be defending lazy writing.

Lord Malorne
28-12-2008, 13:19
So what would YOU make then?

darkace77450
28-12-2008, 14:15
So what would YOU make then?

If it were my job, and I was to receive a paycheck, then I'm sure I could come up with something (or at least something more original that GW has shown themselves capable of doing).

And to answer your question, mushroom people. :o

Condottiere
28-12-2008, 14:20
Done that: Orks.

Chicago Slim
28-12-2008, 16:25
The idea that GW cant Invent a brand new race which doesnt just rip off an existing idea (please note there is a big difference to being inspired by and blatanly copying) just seem to me to be defending lazy writing.

If you look at what GW's got now, there's some clear rip-offs, and some solidly original takes inspired by mythology and fantasy genre.

The Empire is clearly just the Holy Roman Empire, at some point in the 15th-17th century, complete with ripoff characters (the steam tanks by Leonardo, Martin Luther + Jan Huss = the Uberrevolutionary Priest, etc).

Brettonia, similarly, is Froissart meats Arthur. Not much new there.

On the other hand, placing High Elves as the rulers of Atlantis is a pretty nice twist. Letting the mummies of ancient Egypt rise back up, slay all the living, and turn their entire kingdoms into lands of the dead is pretty bold, and I haven't seen it elsewhere. Making vampires out as respected noblemen on-the-sly is fairly common and, in its way, goes back to Bram Stoker, but I think that GW has done a fine job integrating that with their own, unique back-story of vampires-as-half-mummies.

So, when we say that GW hasn't had new ideas, I guess we might mean that they haven't had new ideas recently-- they've been at this for 25 years now, and they don't want to blow apart too much of the structure they've already built... Some of that structure is pretty straightforward and unoriginal, and some of it is really pretty ingenious. Much of it is somewhere in between...

Back to topic-- for my own part, I have literally hundreds of unpainted minis on the shelf, and a list of about 150 more that I know I want, so I'm not in any great hurry to have a new army book to add to that queue. That said, the things that I've consistently heard people wanting over the years are Araby and Cathay.

Two years ago, Dave Taylor (a GW employee, at least at the time -- I think he was a "black shirt" in a retail store?) built a Cathay army, converted from Empire knights, infantry taken from Empire, Skaven and a few other bits, a wizard converted from a Wood Elf, etc. It was absolutely beautiful (I got to see it, when he played it at our local indy convention), and was put in White Dwarf. He built it to use Bretonnian rules, which seemed pretty much right on to me, for Chinese history... Nobles on horse, peasants on foot...

Of course, it could easily have been done with Empire rules, instead. My point is, you can do a lot within the existing rules... :)

BattleofLund
28-12-2008, 16:58
I doubt the barbaric tribes of Europe and America have ever gone on a wild hunt with centaurs, satyrs, minotaurs and dragon ogres!

:eyebrows:

But they should have.

;)

I want an army of Giants; most specifically, a War Machine what is a Giant pushing a Gargantuan Lawn Mower!

:D

Lord Malorne
28-12-2008, 17:00
Chicago Slim:Post pics!

Shadowphrakt:CD's had something like that, it was a blade spinny thing being pushed by a bull centaur.

Nuada
28-12-2008, 17:07
How about a dark cultist empire army? anti-warrior priests

Secretly worshipping the Chaos Gods in hidden caves and cellars..... not got a clue what troops they'd have .......just an idea :D

Zark the Damned
28-12-2008, 18:58
If it were my job, and I was to receive a paycheck, then I'm sure I could come up with something (or at least something more original that GW has shown themselves capable of doing).

And to answer your question, mushroom people. :o
They are already a race in DnD, called Myconids.

I thought you were coming up with something original? ;)

IJW
28-12-2008, 19:22
They are already a race in DnD, called Myconids.
Don't forget Snotrooms and Mushlings.
http://www.solegends.com/citc/c14snotlings.htm

Are Orcs spore-based, like Orks 40k are these days?

Cypher, the Emperor
28-12-2008, 21:16
James Herbert's Rats trilogy, I think.

And fluff-wise, I'm all for more human armies - Ind, Cathay etc. After the Empire's been holding back chaos for so long, it's about time they got their hand in. Though I agree that they wouldn't really be unique enough to sell.

Personally, I'd like either a generalised DoW list (with options for non-human mercs, maybe?) or a low-tech beast race.

Eh, I'd still say that they were ripped from Grey Mouser, I think the original designer even admitted that he just like the books and wanted the ratmen in WHFB. I mean, in Lankhmar they even have the council of thirteen, the churchbell and all that other stuff too.

Oh yeah, and the Boys From Brazil and Doctor Moreau were pretty big influences too if I'm not mistaken.

Nesbet
28-12-2008, 22:25
Chaos Dwarfs is obvious, but Araby would be cool. Same units as in Warmaster plus 2 or 3 more.
Basic: scimitar/spear-men, bowmen, desert raiders (light cavalry on horse), nomads (cavalry bowmen)
Special: guards, knights (on horse), camel raiders, skirmish-crazy-scimitar-danzers
Rare: flying carpets, war elephants, djins (gigantic ones! not genius!!)

would be cool ;D

Aekold
28-12-2008, 22:43
I would really love if they make an proper undead army! I want our lord and savior NAGASH to return! whit a great host of nice proper undead. I want chariots of bone! i want Lord type Liches. And skeleton kings that are decked out in batwinged helmets and old spiky armor of doooom! i want archers and i want Proper undead skullchuckas.

That would be awsome. ohhh....why GW whyyiiiii!?
on a side note. I want the Chaos dwarfs too! to many years ive waited for an proper nice list for them, and new models.

Hopefully my dreams will come true someday.

BattleofLund
29-12-2008, 00:50
I would really love if they make an proper undead army! I want our lord and savior NAGASH to return! whit a great host of nice proper undead. I want chariots of bone! i want Lord type Liches. And skeleton kings that are decked out in batwinged helmets and old spiky armor of doooom! i want archers and i want Proper undead skullchuckas.

Yes, yes, YES! Give Aekold a feather duster and keep out of the way!

Chicago Slim
29-12-2008, 01:24
Chicago Slim:Post pics!

Sadly, they aren't mine to post, but you can see some of them online here:

http://cianty.ashtonsanders.com/btb/gallery.html#cathayanarmy

You may find it helpful to search within that site for "Dave Taylor"...

Frankly
29-12-2008, 01:26
A samurai army

A Ind army

A chaos elf and was beaten by a vampire armylist.

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
29-12-2008, 01:27
Actually, CD was already chosen the next army made in early 2010 (For Choas Drawf fans don't worry about them for the moment).

If I remember correctly, Araby was mention by GW about being the next new army to be made.

This is just a rumour for the moment.

selone
29-12-2008, 02:06
I'd be amazed if GW managed to perfect all the races as you suggest OP. I'd personally settle for them releasing army books a tiny little bit quicker than have to work on another army book and have design time spend time playtesting it. There are already a lot of armies you can play.
That said I wouldn't mind a DoW book (but they're not 'new') ;)

Halelel
29-12-2008, 03:09
@Condotierre

Anything uniquely Albion, besides Truthsayers, Dark Emissaries and Moor Beasts? (Yes, wildmen = tribes of "non-civilized" humans that lived on the isle of Albion as described in Dark Shadows, think pre-Sigmar human tribes. Dark Emissaries and Moor Beasts probably wouldn't be part of the army as they were servants of Be'lakor)

Halflings - They seem rather bland, on the surface. (Define bland? Bland to you maybe, but I don't see how halflings would be any less bland than say Warriors of Chaos who are pretty much marauders, warriors, and knights)

Kislev - Kislev have War Wagons? (Yep, they mention throughout the Kislev sourcebook about their war wagons, it would also further explain why it disappeared from the Empire armybooks)

Araby - That depends on how historical you get. (No need to go overly historical with Araby really, they already have the units made for their Warmaster army, just need to make them in WHFB scale)

Tilea / Estalia - RIP Dogs of War, PITY (Eh, Dogs of War deserved to die, the army was badly designed in that it allowed other armies to take units to fill their weaknesses, like Chaos armies taking artillery and ranged units. Hopefully GW does get around to making them a proper Warhammer army that doesn't have as much emphasis on Regiments of Renown)

Pirate Kingdom of Sartosa - Rather one dimensional for the crew, since you'd have to rely on special characters, such as Black Sparrow, Hairy Morgan, Captain Hanger and so on. (I agree, it would be hard to make a Sartosa pirate army, but GW was able to make a Zombie Pirate list, so it makes sense to me at least that they could at least attempt to make a living pirate list)

Sky Titans - Deal with it. (No need to get snippy, keep it constructive)

Hobgoblin Khanate - There are just four basic units. (Again, you are looking at it with the idea that GW would only use the units they already have. The Hobgoblin Khanate are suppose to be the real world equivalent of the Mongols, so I would see their army as a all cavalry based army, but mainly light cavalry as opposed to Brets who are mainly heavy cavalry.)

Norsca - No variety. (Again, it's as bland as GW decides to make it. I can think of a wide variety of flavorful units to fit in the army theme)

Nippon - Not all, but mostly. (Ugh, that would be a horrible idea to have armies with nothing but samurais and ninjas, just furthering the cultural stereotypes regarding warfare of that era in Asian history. If they ever do decide to do Nippon or Cathay, I seriously hope GW does something original rather than giving in by making tons of ninjas and samurai)

Ind - Is there a published profile? (I don't believe there are published profiles for war elephants for WHFB. I know Warmaster Araby had war elephants as well and Forge World makes an awesome Chaos War Mammoth)

Lost Isles of Elithis - I thought feral Elves lived next door to Bretonnia. (I wouldn't really consider Wood Elves as "feral". They are civilized and aren't exactly savage. My vision of feral Elves would be elves that are reduced to their basic instincts and behaviors, with no sense of civilization.)

Fishmen - There's only a single spawning, and unless they are a subspecies of Genestealers, unlikely to propagate. (Hehe, well I won't get into the whole "How fake fantasy fishmen reproduce", but to claim as fact that there is only a single spawning is preposterous)

darkace77450
29-12-2008, 03:32
Pirate Kingdom of Sartosa - Rather one dimensional for the crew, since you'd have to rely on special characters, such as Black Sparrow, Hairy Morgan, Captain Hanger and so on. (I agree, it would be hard to make a Sartosa pirate army, but GW was able to make a Zombie Pirate list, so it makes sense to me at least that they could at least attempt to make a living pirate list)

There really isn't a reason to make a seperate list for them as almost any aspect of a human pirate army can be represented with the Empire list + a few DoW units (skirmishers mainly)

Hobgoblin Khanate - There are just four basic units. (Again, you are looking at it with the idea that GW would only use the units they already have. The Hobgoblin Khanate are suppose to be the real world equivalent of the Mongols, so I would see their army as a all cavalry based army, but mainly light cavalry as opposed to Brets who are mainly heavy cavalry.)

The Mongols used infantry and even war machines, they were not just an all cavalry army (though that is certainly where their strengths lied). They even used catapults to hurl diseased bodies over walls during sieges, becoming one of the earliest forces to utilize biological warfare.

Nippon - Not all, but mostly. (Ugh, that would be a horrible idea to have armies with nothing but samurais and ninjas, just furthering the cultural stereotypes regarding warfare of that era in Asian history. If they ever do decide to do Nippon or Cathay, I seriously hope GW does something original rather than giving in by making tons of ninjas and samurai)

There is plenty of room in a Nippon army for basic infantry (spearmen, pikemen, halberdiers, handgunners, etc) if it is based of historical Japan.

Lost Isles of Elithis - I thought feral Elves lived next door to Bretonnia. (I wouldn't really consider Wood Elves as "feral". They are civilized and aren't exactly savage. My vision of feral Elves would be elves that are reduced to their basic instincts and behaviors, with no sense of civilization.)

There is a pic of a bunch of wood elves springing a trap on some men in a field of tall grass. These elves appear to be decked out in war paint and bones, and look much more feral than the wood elf models represent. For feral elves I think of elves dressing and acting like savage orcs.

Aekold
29-12-2008, 09:13
Yes, yes, YES! Give Aekold a feather duster and keep out of the way!

See gw! we are legion! you cannot deny the trusted servants of the dark lord nagash their prize!

Now where is my feather duster?