PDA

View Full Version : Portent/Warseer

boghog
27-11-2005, 17:00
Hello!

Whenever people bring up Portent they talk as if it's dead and buried. What's the big deal? Warseer has exactly the same people on it as Portent did, the layout is identical and during the brief change over the membership and their discussions barely missed a beat. Also, as far as I know the same people are running it.

Surely, Warseer is Portent. I've even got the Portent colour scheme active. As far as I'm concerned the only thing that's changed is the name.

Why do people talk about Portent as if it doesn't exist any more. You're using it now!

starlight
27-11-2005, 17:05
I feel that it is like going to university from high school. Still school, lots of the same people, but a bit more aware of the realities of life. We learned that money is important or we *literally* get kicked out. We learned that organising the Spam and such is a good idea, it needs it's own place.

Warseer, is the grown up Portent. The same, yes mostly, but with a few key differences that make it better. Personally I refer to it as Wartent.:D

tzeentchgiant
27-11-2005, 17:39
Indeed, warseer is a slightly more realistic portent, less based on ideals, more on reality, but that said, it's only the base, the discussions and people are constant.

TG

Arnizipal
27-11-2005, 18:24
Portent is dead for all of these (http://www.portent.net/) reasons.
Basically, Pete preferred it that we wouldn't use the name Portent anymore, so the new management didn't.

EVIL INC
27-11-2005, 18:52
I believe that Starlight and tzeentchgiant have hit the nail on the head. The only thing "dead" about Portent is the name and many of the bad attitude/habits.

neXus6
27-11-2005, 19:11
I'll still reffer to the forum as Portent. I get to it through www.portent.net/forums , I have the portent colour sceme and I sure as hell didn't vote for Warseer to be the new name.

Yeah it's the same forum I just ignore the word "warseer" as often as I can.
:)

Arnizipal
27-11-2005, 19:32
*resets forum style to Portent*

Ah Red & Black, how I missed ye! :)

Hywel
27-11-2005, 19:42
New name, same place.

The benefit of this is we can continue building on the good of Portent and gloss over the bad. Warseer doesn't need to learn the lessons Portent had to and thus doesn't have to carry so much baggage with it.

Thusly, job's a good 'un.

Pertinax
27-11-2005, 21:26
Is the name really important?

Tenoch
27-11-2005, 21:26
The above having been said, Istill miss Forum Comments and Anthalas

Arnizipal
27-11-2005, 21:40
Whatever happened to Anthalas Dallas Multipass anyway?

Wiseman
29-11-2005, 07:52
Warseer is the same as portent to me, just with a dose of reality (a fatal dose of reality in the case of portent)

Adept
29-11-2005, 08:10
Portent is dead. Long live Portent.

Warseer is similar, but not quite the same. Some of the users are different, there are different social hierarchies, and so on.

I miss Zardoz.

starlight
29-11-2005, 08:12
I miss Christine.:(:cries:

Fusion
29-11-2005, 08:56
I miss Wazz, but I found the crazy seaman on deviantart, so that's not too bad...

Portent hasn't gone, it's just had a name change. I imagine I'll get right back into it next year when I start my thesis :D

See, I've been quite absent for a while...

Yorkiebar
29-11-2005, 13:30
Portent is dead because of the thousands of posts, photos and users that were lost.

However, the majority community is still here, and that's what counts.

skavenguy13
29-11-2005, 15:15
I feel like WarSeer is like a Portent update. Many unactive members cleared, mods changed a bit and some changes in the forums and multiple forum styles.
So long, the huge amount of users with 0 posts in 1/2/3/4 years!

Yorkiebar
29-11-2005, 21:20
I feel like WarSeer is like a Portent update. Many unactive members cleared, mods changed a bit and some changes in the forums and multiple forum styles.
So long, the huge amount of users with 0 posts in 1/2/3/4 years!Hello, the gradually growing number of new users with 0 posts since March!

Cade
29-11-2005, 22:24
Warseer is Portent 2.0

All of the good bits without all the bad bits.

'Nuff said.

Wiseman
30-11-2005, 02:21
after reading the thread on portent (RIP) it got me wondering what does everyone else miss about portent, personally its not the same without so many hospital threads, and nids genius, what other fond memories of portent are there.

starlight
30-11-2005, 02:32
Miss: Christine, K.Horne, the list goes one......:(

Miss: Much higher quality of Spam in the Wastes.:(

Don't miss: problems related to no money.:)

Yog Sogoth
30-11-2005, 02:45
I miss the Christmas avatar's...oh wait...

I miss a few of the old posters that have moved on that's all.

Makaber
30-11-2005, 02:50
I miss my postcount and the title that came with it.

m1s1n
30-11-2005, 03:32
I miss regular arxhon posts, sprue, and everyone else that left.

Kittah
30-11-2005, 05:19
In my mind there is no WarSeer. Only Portent. The phrase NaT and I use "post on P" still remains and I still think of this place as Portent. What's this WarSeer you all speak of? :p

EVIL INC
30-11-2005, 05:34
I miss being the officially voted Warmaster of Portent but then again, I could be so again (or at least have the title) if I had the cash to pay for guildership. The title under your name isnt important. Besides, if I were to do so, there would crop up a dozen wannabes toting the same title. LOL.
A new start is a good thing. It lets us refresh the good stuff, forget the bad and create all new good stuff to add. Kind of like maturing and growing older, you learn new stuff every day.

Tyra_Nid
30-11-2005, 05:39
I miss my postcount
Me too, and my join-date. I could pwn most people being ~#400...

Ah well.

Its still Portent to me.

I do miss Bluemont. She was HAWT!

Kittah
30-11-2005, 05:48
I do miss Bluemont. She was HAWT!

Got pix plz?

starlight
30-11-2005, 06:41
Your Av is close enough.:D

Samoth
30-11-2005, 09:50
I miss Anthalas, going into the wastes depressed, then coming out feeling great, and pix plz.

Luke
30-11-2005, 09:55
hmmm, perhaps im being stupid, but where are toddy, neywon darkson and damien 1427 these days?

these guys always seem to come to mind when i think of portent.

Hywel
30-11-2005, 11:56
Toddy is now imprisoned in the back pages of White Dwarf, showing someone how to read.

Luke
30-11-2005, 12:02
oh right. i assume were talking about a photograph, possibly of him as a gw staffer helping some kid?

*blunders off to find a wd*

edit-------

oh yeah! i thought he looked familiar

Wiseman
30-11-2005, 22:51
i think ive seen damien around here, though i couold be mistaken.

neXus6
30-11-2005, 22:56
I've not seen Damien in a long long time, mind you I hardly saw him after he stopped coming near the ABC and that was a fair time before Portent went down.

wanderingblade
01-12-2005, 00:24
Eh, in all honesty it feels a lot different to me. And thats not the layout or the forum choices, its the crowd and who's around.

A lot has changed. The Portent I think about first when I think about it died before the site itself did, so not calling this place Portent is natural.

Xhalax
01-12-2005, 01:40
The way I see it, is that all though it looks the same and such, Warseer is very much different. Like when you loose something and replace it. It's the same, yet not due to the memories and such you associate with it.

Personally, I enjoyed Portent more. But that's coz it was my plunging into the very deep end head first. With Warseer, I was a little bit more clued up and such and so it didn't seem like such a new or big thing when it came out. Yes, it was nice to be back posting and talking to the members that I spoke to before, as well as some new ones. But it just wasn't the same.

Not to say that I don't still have a lot of fun on here.

But to me, I'll always refer to this place as Portent (well actually I call it P) even though it isn't really in my mind. I guess that old habits just die hard.

Tyra_Nid
01-12-2005, 03:42
Toddy is now imprisoned in the back pages of White Dwarf, showing someone how to read.

Wow, Toddy is famous now?

Well thats MY claim to fame! I saw a famous guys buttcrack!

Oh, and Blower: Heres damien, right where he always is:

Delicious Soy
01-12-2005, 03:58
Portent is dead. I agree with others that alot has changed and not necessarily for the better. For one the Wastes is missing most of its funniest people. Secondly Guilder only P&R isn't half as entertaining as the old P&R and lastly it feels like the overall age has dropped pretty significantly. It often feels like there's little more than a few islands of old Portenters drowing in a sea of n00bs :p I remember when I was the young upstart!

*Fades off into mindless grumbling......*

Flint
01-12-2005, 04:21
NO!!!
NOT...
THE...
COFFEE...
PIC!!! :eek:

Did you have to dig up the coffee pic?!?! Do you really want to scar the living begezzes out of everyone? Talk about pulling out an old relic from Portent, but you could have left it buried!

starlight
01-12-2005, 04:27
:eek:AHAHAhhahahahahahaitburnsitburnsitburnsitburn s:eek:...............urg:skull:

Spoiler that thing! or link it or something, for the love of the children, think of the children....:cries:

EVIL INC
01-12-2005, 05:48
hmmm, perhaps im being stupid, but where are toddy, neywon darkson and damien 1427 these days?

these guys always seem to come to mind when i think of portent.
If I am not mistaken, Neywon left the hobby itself and sold off his stuff. Least thats last I heard he had planned. He had pretty much left Portent already after it had started to slide downhill anyways. Hated to see him go as he was one of the better posters. Also one of the best when it came to discussing weapons. Here is a pic of our esteemed former brethren in the arms of chaos.

Wiseman
02-12-2005, 03:16
NO!!!
NOT...
THE...
COFFEE...
PIC!!! :eek:

Did you have to dig up the coffee pic?!?! Do you really want to scar the living begezzes out of everyone? Talk about pulling out an old relic from Portent, but you could have left it buried!

im awaiting the day that someone asks what is the coffee pic, tha twill be a sad day indeed.

Exterminatus
02-12-2005, 08:03
what is the coffee pic :D

Delicious Soy
02-12-2005, 08:19
No, NOT AGAIN!

*flees thread*

Ravening Wh0re
02-12-2005, 08:51
NOT the same. The "feel" is different.

I also miss Zardosz (sp?) (in P&R natch)

I miss discussing games with BobberT and \/aul.

And I miss the antics of Boaz and Trapper :(

Now, into the time machine......

Xhalax
02-12-2005, 09:43
Shame that wasn't resigned with Portent.

*shudders at the thought of said picture*

Luke
02-12-2005, 10:03
ahh, finally my curious-ness-ness is satisfied. now if my brain would only work long enough for me to remember some other departed portent....t...teers.... hmm.

Wiseman
02-12-2005, 13:26
its not the same either without wazz and his 10, 000 posts

Wez
04-12-2005, 11:52
Warseer is similar, but as others have said the 'feel' is different.

Things such as Forum Comments, Trenchie trolling and Engel's / Blade's, *ahem*, 'modding', may have all been bad in terms of making a 'mature and sensible wargaming forum', but they were great fun to read.

Then again, I'm less into Warhammer/40k now, so that might have dampened my enthusiasm for Portent/Warseer.

You can get the rest of my opinions from my sig.

-Wez

neXus6
04-12-2005, 12:02
See Damien is coffee pic's subject...
I'm still mildly annoted that someone asked if it was me...:mad:
:p

People used to ask what the Coffee Pic was all the time. :( *sniff*
We have so few opportunites to scar people these days.

wanderingblade
07-12-2005, 02:04
Blade's, *ahem*, 'modding',

Now now Wez. We all know that if I really were a capricious evil tyrant, your sorry **** would have been banned aeons ago.

EVIL INC
07-12-2005, 05:07
I dont know, Engle actually did a pretty good job after his initial "gung ho-ness" and blade wasnt too awfull bad.:p
Trenchie, well he is a character just as I am who has trouble saying a 10 word sentance in less then 50. LOL Well, I reckon he was a pain in manys side just as I was.

violenceha
07-12-2005, 06:39
i like the pretty blue!

Wiseman
07-12-2005, 09:49
Trenchie was awesome, he couldnt have annoyed more people! is he back on warseer? Blades modding, lets let that be;)

hairyman
07-12-2005, 10:28
Mr Raider was "active" in P&R for a while, but hasn't been around for two or three months. He'd mellowed a bit as well..... :eek:

Prince_Tyrion
07-12-2005, 10:47
Whatever happened to Anthalas Dallas Multipass anyway?

Last I heard of him he hit me up on msn out of the blue and gave me free pr0n passes, then disappeared into the night, like some kind of perverse cyber myth :p

McMullet
07-12-2005, 10:53
Hey, it's that guy there! I remember you...

Where you been?

Prince_Tyrion
07-12-2005, 10:56
University.. which isn't much of an excuse... I just lost my enthusiaism for P/GW and kinda announced I was leaving, I'm back for now but can't guarantee exactly what that means (I need to find posts of interest to get my teeth into) but now I'm rambling.

I'll cut to the chase, I just got free from Hywel's basement ok, don't tell him!*

*Especially because I drank all the booze :evilgrin:

Wiseman
07-12-2005, 11:05
PT that is class, funniest thing i have read

McMullet
07-12-2005, 11:36
University.. which isn't much of an excuse... I just lost my enthusiaism for P/GW and kinda announced I was leaving, I'm back for now but can't guarantee exactly what that means (I need to find posts of interest to get my teeth into) but now I'm rambling.

I'll cut to the chase, I just got free from Hywel's basement ok, don't tell him!*

University, isn't that an excuse to waste MORE time on the interweb? :eyebrows:

Fear not, your secret is safe... ;)

Wez
07-12-2005, 13:15
Now now Wez. We all know that if I really were a capricious evil tyrant, your sorry **** would have been banned aeons ago.
Your modding, in terms of when strikes were given, was good I thought. It was things like telling a guy he should go hang himself if he didn't become less stupid and other similar incidents. I didn't actually mind this, but I would hardly call it 'professional modding' or whatever pretentious sounding thing you want to name it.

I dont know, Engle actually did a pretty good job after his initial "gung ho-ness" and blade wasnt too awfull bad.
Not to stir s###,* but there certainly were 'interesting' parts. For example Epoch insulting Tenoch and his art in a thread, Tenoch 'flaming' Epoch via PM, Epoch returning the favour, Tenoch replying to the PM and so on. End result? Epoch gets two (?!) strikes, Tenoch gets one, but Engel then comes on MSN and says he won't actually strike Tenoch because Tenoch gave him an excuse to ban Epoch (who already had a strike).:eyebrows:

-Wez

*I am kididng anyone here?:p

Delicious Soy
07-12-2005, 13:21
See? It's adventures like this that gave Portent its character. Warseer is too friendly. I demand pointless rivalries and jockeying for position on a wargames forum!

Sylass
07-12-2005, 13:31
I can ban you for a week if you like. Would that be a start? :p

Hywel
07-12-2005, 13:32

Too late, the game's up. :mad:

If you're not back in your box by this evening I'm melting the key to your special belt.

Still.. I suppose its good to see old faces creeping back to preserve the character of our community. :p
Also, I agree with Soy, we should stoke some of those dormant fires and have a good old fashioned forum war.

Wez
07-12-2005, 13:33
No, because you asked politely as opposed to sporadically banning someone.;)

-Wez

hairyman
07-12-2005, 13:34
*flames Soy*

That better? :p

I think the friendliness of Warseer, although maybe not as interesting to read as constant petty bickering, is probably one of the things it has going over Portent. Portent as a whole could be a bit grumpy and gnarly at times.

Delicious Soy
07-12-2005, 13:55
Only if I get to be a very naughty boy first :p Besides it won't be as fun, I'm lacking a group of supporters to denounce you to all and sundry:p

Hywel
07-12-2005, 14:05
Oh don't worry about that, they'll come crawling out of the woodwork as soon as any mod does something noticeable.

Prince_Tyrion
07-12-2005, 14:50
Too late, the game's up. :mad:

If you're not back in your box by this evening I'm melting the key to your special belt.

Still.. I suppose its good to see old faces creeping back to preserve the character of our community. :p
Also, I agree with Soy, we should stoke some of those dormant fires and have a good old fashioned forum war.

Please sir, not my special belt! Not my special place! :cries:

I'd hardly refer to my role as 'preserving the character of our community' :p

McMullet
07-12-2005, 15:52
Sorry mate, it's down to you.

Hywel, get that net connection to the Box sorted, we need the subject to be "wired in" by the end of the day. The character of our community must be preserved!

wanderingblade
07-12-2005, 17:41
Your modding, in terms of when strikes were given, was good I thought. It was things like telling a guy he should go hang himself if he didn't become less stupid and other similar incidents. I didn't actually mind this, but I would hardly call it 'professional modding' or whatever pretentious sounding thing you want to name it.

Not to stir s###,* but there certainly were 'interesting' parts. For example Epoch insulting Tenoch and his art in a thread, Tenoch 'flaming' Epoch via PM, Epoch returning the favour, Tenoch replying to the PM and so on. End result? Epoch gets two (?!) strikes, Tenoch gets one, but Engel then comes on MSN and says he won't actually strike Tenoch because Tenoch gave him an excuse to ban Epoch (who already had a strike).:eyebrows:

-Wez
*I am kididng anyone here?:p

Ahhh, good days. I don't remember ever giving a strike with insults that harsh, although there were some fairly nasty ones. The "Its my great pleasure to ban your stinking carcass from this forum" stands out particularly. But for the most part I'll maintain that even when my reigns on civility slipped, I still stayed polite when actually donning my mod hat. There was, and imo still is, a difference between posting and modding.

Even then, there were still great swathes of pristine civility... which you missed because you're a noob. Which also explains the abscence of Newyon and Plague Bearer from the modding critique. Jesus Non-Existant Christ almighty, they made Engel look positively liberal. Particularly Newyon who used the word "chainsaw" to refer to his modding policy. Plague Bearer was just insane.

Ah, I'm feeling all nostalgic and happy. I think I might ask for slippers and a pipe for Christmas.

p.s. Tyrion, your sig is the bomb

EVIL INC
08-12-2005, 00:49
I will give Neywon this though, he was even handed and treated everyone the same with his chainsaw with no favorites and no scapegoats.
PB, well, he was a special case and no worse then the rest.
Overall, I am much better pleased with the way things are going here. We have all seemed to have learned from past mistakes (myself included) and things seem to be going much smoother.

starlight
08-12-2005, 01:06
It's odd because I found Neywon to be one of the best Mods and PB and I never had any issues. Unfortunately certain others :eyebrows: were almost reason enough to leave Portent. Since their current non-Mod behaviour is reasonable, we'll dispense with the names.:angel:

Wiseman
08-12-2005, 01:22
I actually dont remember Neywon that well, but PB was good as a mod

EVIL INC
08-12-2005, 01:46
Neywon and PB many didnt like because they were fair and treated everyone the same. If someone was in the "in" crowd, they got slapped just as hard when they screwed up as those who werent. Likewise, they did not go out of thier way to hurt those who were not populer when they were minding thier own business.

starlight
08-12-2005, 01:48
Which is exactly what makes a good Mod and why I like both of them.

wanderingblade
08-12-2005, 12:14
Neywon was fair and did treat everyone the same, he did however apply the rules far more harshly/stringently than any other mod which did cause some discontent.

As for Plague Bearer... holy herpes, I've got to do some serious questioning of your memories. He was the only mod to start banning and striking people over what was essentially a private argument. I know we didn't have a 100 % record and that we could get into heated arguments or make the judgement calls wrong, but thats the only incident I know of where a mod just went and striked people on his own for arguing with him.

If thats what makes a good mod, I'd shudder to think what made a bad one.

Eldanar
08-12-2005, 15:34
I'll have to second WB's analysis of Neywon and PB.

I always felt Neywon was probably the most even handed mod. He followed the rules to a "T" and he did not suffer fools or a load of crap.

And while I think the world of PB, he did allow some personal vendettas to get in the way of his modding upon occassion (not that the people whom he axed didn't have it coming though...)

But you also have to remember that they modded through some time periods when Portent was extremely more volatile, there was no Spam forum or anything like that, and P&R was in its infancy and was a lot more volatile than it ever was later. Some of the stuff that was allowed then would NEVER even be considered a "warning only" type of offense now, it would be straight to a strike.

wanderingblade
08-12-2005, 16:02
Good gods, where have you been?

Eldanar
08-12-2005, 16:32
I check in every couple of days; or if I am participating in a discussion, maybe a couple times during a day.

starlight
08-12-2005, 19:36
I guess not being on the receiving end of PB's actions may have something to do with not noticing it so much. As Eldanar noted I don't recall many of those actions being *entirely* unjustified.

However, I do recall at least one *other* Mod who took a very arrogant and self-righteous position which resulted in numerous strikes and bannings within (literally) days of Modship. Many of these actions *were* (to me) both unjustified and very immature. It was the only time that I seriously considered leaving Portent and is the main reasons that I oppose the return of Mods from the Portent era. Warseer is new and somewhat different and I think that the Mods should reflect that.

Anyways, we needn't dredge up the unpleasant past, it's over and things are going pretty well.:D

EVIL INC
08-12-2005, 21:49
And while I think the world of PB, he did allow some personal vendettas to get in the way of his modding upon occassion (not that the people whom he axed didn't have it coming though...)

LOL. PB might have done that but he was far from the only one and most definately, not the worst when it came to that. Luckily, we have not had that start here yet and hope it doesnt.

Wiseman
08-12-2005, 21:53
PB did settle some vendetta's but more then just mod did that, im just grateful we dont see that on warseer.

Hywel
09-12-2005, 01:06
I oppose the return of Mods from the Portent era.

Well there's lovely! :p

Continue with dark memory dredging, its like a trip down memory lane. :D Most enjoyable.

Wiseman
09-12-2005, 01:29
who ended up being the first to 10000 posts on portent anyway?

starlight
09-12-2005, 01:30
Wazz and someone (grrrr memory failing) raced, but I can't remember who won.:(

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 01:34
I honestly cannot say that I remember. Wasnt Starcol the first one to be banned for spamming trying to get his post count high?

Bmaxwell
09-12-2005, 02:08
Feels like the same old Porent to me specially with stuff like this going on

Wiseman
09-12-2005, 02:15
i thought it was wazz and wanderingblade racing, though i dont know who won

C. Langana
09-12-2005, 02:49
Is it just me or do the new colours actually feel a bit chilly?
Old portent had a nice warm glow, I'm sure these ones drop the room temp by a degree or two.

Flint
09-12-2005, 02:51
Wanderingblade won the contest, but it was close. Something like within a couple hunder posts. Still, once the wastes were created... We'll thank god we did that otherwise Portent would have burned down in a flaming ruin halfway through its run.

Starcol indeed was the first one banned for uberspamming, but then we unbanned him for some reason or another. I think he had a one on one with nick about the rules of social behavior.

Hmm... No one remembers that I was a mod. I don't know if thats a good thing or not... Of course, I did disappear on deployment twice so... :rolleyes:

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 04:03
Is it just me or do the new colours actually feel a bit chilly?
Old portent had a nice warm glow, I'm sure these ones drop the room temp by a degree or two.
A lot of us still use the portent colors. They are much superior IMHO.
We remember you Flint. You just arent being mentioned because you didnt abuse your powers and didnt get out of hand. That is a good thing because it shows that you were able to bypass the bad stages that some of the others went through.

starlight
09-12-2005, 04:06
Oh, we remember..............we *do* remember........

You didn't really stand out (to me) because (like Neywon) you didn't go around pissing people off. You did the job fairly and moved on. Certain *others* took a perverse pleasure in their status and made Portent *worse* than if they hadn't been Mods.

In this case (and a few others) not being remembered is good. It means that the job got done and no-one noticed, just the way it should be.:D

Flint
09-12-2005, 04:13
Well then, seen, but not seen. I guess it did work. ;)

violenceha
09-12-2005, 05:47
show yourself invisible fiend!
perhaps i'm just going mad. hmmmmmmm let's find out

Brimstone
09-12-2005, 05:58
Violenceha, cast your mind back to this post of mine. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=344354&postcount=4)

Titus & Violenceha don't spam in RM again, this is a warning

I'm not going to give you a strike but I am going to give you a 24hour discretionary ban.

Do it again and you will get a strike.

Tyra_Nid
09-12-2005, 10:59

The scary part is that I read this to say:

Still.. I suppose its good to see old faeces creeping back to preserve the character of our community. :p

Maybe Im not all that wrong though. Seen a few oldies back from the dead recently.

Eldanar? Having seen you in YONKS!

Langana: You can change to the old red/black colour scheme and pretend its still P if you want...

Do people still remember the days of the Vet forums and all the associated scandels? Teh Starries and all that Jazz?
Good times.

C. Langana
09-12-2005, 12:45
Langana: You can change to the old red/black colour scheme and pretend its still P if you want....
I tried the old red and black but it felt too strange, and though this new scheme feels chilly I like the fact it reflects a new start for the community. It's also shinier.

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 12:53
The vets forum werent all that great. Now, I understood the mods needing thier own forum to discuss what was going on but since us vets didnt have any power to really do anything and no pull to "get things done" so we didnt really have anything to say that couldnt be seen by anyone else. Those private conversations could just as easily been done through msn or aim or icq. Besides all we really did in there was vote on who else should or should not be invited to join the private party (I see many in thread that I nominated :) ).
It is good to see old faces come back and old faces behaving themselves (myself included in that :rolleyes: ). It might be a good idea to just close this thread before it starts to bring up bad "vibes" or cause trouble.

starlight
09-12-2005, 16:57
The Vet Forums *did* result in the Oracle.....all in all, I'd say that the Vet Forums were *neat*, but not actually *worth it*.:D

tzeentchgiant
09-12-2005, 17:04
What made a "vet" a vet?

TG

starlight
09-12-2005, 17:09
The other Vets voted on it. It was somewhat arbitrary and mostly amounted to who had caught the attention of the Vets the most in the past month. All in all it was a good idea, but the state of Portent overall kind of limited how far it could go.:(

The Guild here on Warseer is a much better idea and (I feel) contributes more to the community.:D

tzeentchgiant
09-12-2005, 17:10
Was it active until the very end of portent, I can't remeber it ever being mentioned at all, until just now of course.

TG

Prince_Tyrion
09-12-2005, 17:12
No, the Vets were abolished toward the end of P, which thwarted Niddy and I's plans of smuggling as many idiots as we could into the Vets (myself included)

Sylass
09-12-2005, 19:03
Ah yes, the downfall of the Vets forum...for some reason I remember that. :angel:

Brother Smith
09-12-2005, 19:29

Oh how I miss the flame wars... :(

EVIL INC
10-12-2005, 04:44
I dont know, the flame wars were not really productive and hurt the overall morale of the community. That is why many of us tried to stop them and get those involved to work things out peacably. Unfortunately, not all of them were able to listen to our reason.
The Vets, started out as a few of us who had proven ourselves to be pillers of the community (although how I was one of the first to be in is a mystery to me:rolleyes: ) It started off well, but soon we got bored with talking to ourselves and started nominating others to join us. The problem is that it led to elitism and enforcing the power of the select few members who ran the forums behind the scenes. That is why I left the vets forums. Just not enough to interest me and a lack of desire to participate in politics.
The oracle was a good idea and still is and I am glad that at least that came of it. I agree, the guild is a much better idea and the members actually contribute to help the site run. After all, why have a secret sub forum if no one but you can take part in it? The reason you might not have heard of it before was that those of you who werent members of it could not even see it because it was hidden. Then again, it wasnt brought up all that much except possibly in forum comments.

Tyra_Nid
10-12-2005, 08:33
Vets Forum was removed quite a while before the Fall, and it was unactive for a significant period before that.

So how about the Faction Wars? Now those were the days.

Crazy Harborc
11-12-2005, 01:28
Funny that?? I was "inducted"....soon after the Vet forum was no more:wtf: It was mostly posts about who to let in and who not.

A secret club without the treehouse;)

Wiseman
11-12-2005, 06:03
i remember the vet forums, though at first i thought it was just a joke by some members, when someone finally convinced me it existed, i asked someone else and they told me it had been removed the day before, im still not sure if it ever existed, or was just a conspiracy:p

Prince_Tyrion
11-12-2005, 10:19
It existed, I broke into it once, we had photographic evidence...

Wiseman
11-12-2005, 10:27
pics please

Anthalas
12-12-2005, 12:32
Surely, Warseer is Portent. I've even got the Portent colour scheme active. As far as I'm concerned the only thing that's changed is the name.

Why do people talk about Portent as if it doesn't exist any more. You're using it now!

How can it be Portent if I'm not posting. I'm sure most people will agree that I was the soul of Portent.

Right guys? Guys?

McMullet
12-12-2005, 12:34
Well, look what the cat dragged in! :D

Crazy Harborc
12-12-2005, 16:32
Thanks McM, I missed who it was/is. The redheaded Antlers;) is back. That's, that's a good thing..............right??:confused:

The "soul of Portent"??? My head hurts from all this "heavy thinking".

Anthalas, welcome back sir, mam, whatever:D

tzeentchgiant
12-12-2005, 16:58
Wow, welcome back to the world of posting anthalas, I missed your charming avatar :).

TG

wanderingblade
12-12-2005, 21:42
How can it be Portent if I'm not posting. I'm sure most people will agree that I was the soul of Portent.

Right guys? Guys?

Yeah, sure. Why not. How much you paying me to agree with you?

@Nid: Ah the faction wars. How little Raza must have suspected when he accidentally set them off...

starlight
12-12-2005, 22:23
Ahahahahahitburnsitburnsitburnsahahah........

Erm, welcome back.:D

Tyra_Nid
13-12-2005, 00:16
How little Raza must have suspected when he accidentally set them off...

Quite. Although you should shoulder some of the blame, accepting the Emperorship and all.

PRCAD wouldnt have had a leg to stand on if you had stood down!

Wiseman
13-12-2005, 00:57
Anthalas is back. bugger. i mean, uh yeh welcome back *whistles*

Anthalas
13-12-2005, 01:10
Say, are we still operating under the crazy notion of PG-13 rules? Not that I intend to post amputee porn or anything like that(seeing as how it didn't go over that well last time), but it's good to know.

Also, now with more X-Mas.

Wiseman
13-12-2005, 01:14
Still pg 13+ so no porn anthalas,

starlight
13-12-2005, 01:23
Erm, yes still PG-13.:rolleyes:

JUST LIKE IT SHOULD BE.:eyebrows:

Anthalas
13-12-2005, 01:31
In that case, no one should under any circumstances visit leglessbitches.com

starlight
13-12-2005, 01:35
...or you *could* just call up one of the Mods and question his/her parentage directly and save yourself the trouble.:rolleyes:

C. Langana
13-12-2005, 02:22
In that case, no one should under any circumstances visit leglessbitches.com
You realise I'm going to spend this cigarette deliberating on whether I should or should not.

Aaw. Theres only tentacles there man!

Brimstone
13-12-2005, 05:28
This thread is going downhill fast, I'm going to lock it rather than wasting it.