PDA

View Full Version : ~2000pts Empire

Valkyrie
28-12-2008, 15:58
Just something I've patched up without much thought, but might be my new army soon :D

Lord

Kurt Helborg - 325

heroes

Warrior Priest - 119
-Additional HW
-Armour of Meteoric Iron

Battle Wizard (1) - 130
-Lv 2
-The Orb of Thunder

Battle Wizard (2) - 125
-Lv 2
-DS

Core

20 Swordsmen (1) - 225
-Full Command
-5 HG Det x2

20 Swordsmen (2) - 225
-Full Command
-5 HG Det x2

20 Halberdiers - 200
-Full Command
-5 HG Det x2

10 Knightly orders - 300
-Inner Circle
-Full Command

6 Knightly Orders - 146
-Musician

Special

Great Cannon - 100

5 Pistoliers - 90

Rare

-HRB -115

6PD, 4DD
Total:2100pts...

somehow need to drop 100 pts.. guessing some HG can go.... any advice would be greatful...
thanks

BattleofLund
29-12-2008, 00:24
Kurt is a nasty customer. Question is, where will he be? Leading Knights and making them Stubby and Psych-Immune, or leading the Warrior Priest's unit?

You have a decent amount of offensive magic, and not excessive magic defense. Nit-picking: you have five Dispel Dice, not four.

Shooting: while the numbers add up, 6x5 Handgunners without Snipers are not putting out terrible amounts of fire. On the other hand, you can deploy your army in a more compact manner than those with 10-man units. Trade-off in favour of flexibility/mobility, can't see anything wrong with that.

A reasonable assumption would be that you'll be advised to drop the Rocket-Werfer. Don't do it, the Helstorm make great big holes in any unit it hits... and it will hit quite often in the hands of a range-guessing veteran.

Close combat. If Kurt leads the Inner Circus, it is one serious hammer unit. Needs the support of both your other cav units though, so the deployment of those will give early(-ish) warning of where the Monster Unit will appear.

The infantry is mediocre, I'm afraid. It will protect your magicians from being picked off by missiles and guard the war machines from light units/skirmishers, not much more. To buff it you would need dedicated close combat detachments and ditto characters. The Warrior Priest nearly qualifies.

How to drop points: halve the Inner Circle Knights. Five plus Helborg will still put a big dent in whatever they hit.

Valkyrie
29-12-2008, 03:21
Thanks alot for the advice. i used to rund an infantry heavy list in the previouse version without so much of the knights... (great swords instead)

Anyway... 10 might be a bit too much for the knights, but I was thinking that It would pretty much be battered into a pulp if I did not provide the numbers....

I'll probably drop 4, to 6 which should give me roughly 100pts off... and my general plan was a denied flank approach. Use all knight/cav on one side of the board... slow marching infantry. cannon belching... I was also wondering wheter another cannon might be better than the HRB....

anyway thanks alot!

kdh88
29-12-2008, 07:07
Just something I've patched up without much thought, but might be my new army soon :D

Lord

Kurt Helborg - 325

I like him. He's hard without being cheesy. He's relatively poorly protected though (no ward save), so be careful.

heroes

Warrior Priest - 119
-Additional HW
-Armour of Meteoric Iron

I like the armor, but I'd be tempted to mount him and stick him in Kurt's unit- Hatred would help make the most of the Runefang (although with WS6 he really shouldn't miss much) and would reduce the chance of rubber lancing. I also think he'd be better off with a GW instead of AHW, but that's a matter of preference. If you do keep him with the infantry, I'd try to squeeze in an Icon of Magnus

Battle Wizard (1) - 130
-Lv 2
-The Orb of Thunder

Battle Wizard (2) - 125
-Lv 2
-DS

I'm not a fan of the Orb for an all-comers list; there's too great a chance that it will be useless. I think the Doomfire Ring is a much more flexible choice, although range is an issue (putting him on a peggy would fix that, but points are a problem). Of course if you know you'll be facing RaF or double dragon HE or whatever, that's a different story. I'd also drop the DS for a Rod of Power; the extra versatility is invaluble in a medium magic army.

Core

20 Swordsmen (1) - 225
-Full Command
-5 HG Det x2

20 Swordsmen (2) - 225
-Full Command
-5 HG Det x2

20 Halberdiers - 200
-Full Command
-5 HG Det x2

I'm of mixed opinion about these. On the one hand, I like empire infantry. On the other, with no BSB and your general off elsewhere, they're going to be awfully vulnerable to breaking, and the different speeds might make it difficult to support the cavalry. Just something to think about.

If you decide to stick with them, you should know that Halberdiers make terrible parent blocks; they just don't have the survivability to take charges. Fortunately, they make adequete combat detachments (although I prefer Free Company), which your swordsmen would really benefit from. As a result, I'd advise dropping the halberd unit and converting it into 2 9 man detachments for the swordsmen. You could either run the extra handgunners as a 10 man unit with 2x5 detachments (one from each swordsman unit) or drop them and use the points elsewhere. Also, 20 leaves you very vulnerable to outnumbering and losing ranks, so I'd advise going up to 25 if possible.

10 Knightly orders - 300
-Inner Circle
-Full Command

I think the second rank isn't really worthwhile-better to go with 6+Kurt and maybe use a War Banner to make up the difference. You could also consider the Standard of Arcane Warding to help protect them or a Steel Standard to make sure they get the charge. These are a Special btw, but you've got more than enough slots.

6 Knightly Orders - 146
-Musician

Special

Great Cannon - 100

5 Pistoliers - 90

All good, solid choices, although the pistoliers would really benefit from a musician. Not much else to say here.

Rare

-HRB -115

Really depends on your luck with the thing. Try it out; if it works, keep it, if not, go for a second cannon or maybe a HBVG.