PDA

View Full Version : Battle standard for the undead?

ArghaBlargh
28-12-2008, 17:31
If the undead lose a battle and have a battle standard, the number of guys who crumble is reduced by one.

But does the battle standard also increase their combat resolution by one?

Even if they already have an ordinary standard, so the total becomes +2? And if they don't have an ordinary standard, does the battle standard give +1?

Katastrophe
28-12-2008, 18:06
yes, the CR is increased by one. It is a battlestandard and follows all the normal rules

ArghaBlargh
28-12-2008, 21:26
Grave Guard with three ranks, war banner, vampire BSB with walking death adds up to a +7 static CR! Bwahaha! :skull:

Chicago Slim
29-12-2008, 00:30
Funny enough, this build just occurred to me today:
Vampire, Battle Standard Bearer, with Walking Death, Dread Knight, War Banner.

That's 200 points even, has a 2+ armor save (T4 and 2W), and generates 3 points of static CR (in addition to having 3 attacks at WS6 S5/7 and one at WS3 S4).

(Just for comparison, the High Elves can bring a Hero BSB with the banner of +d6 CR, in a fully-ranked unit with the War Banner, for a total of 6+d6 static, which is grotesque).

ArghaBlargh
22-05-2009, 17:56

That's 200 points even, has a 2+ armor save (T4 and 2W), and generates 3 points of static CR (in addition to having 3 attacks at WS6 S5/7 and one at WS3 S4).
Oh my god! The perfect support character, keep him back and then send him in at the decisive time and point, la Napoleon! :D

Only drawback is that he is a bit frail, with T4, W2 and 2+ for those 300 VP he is worth (200 points + 100 for battle standard).

Spirit
22-05-2009, 21:32
My personal favourite.

Vampire
Bsb
Flayed hauberk
Black periapt
Dark acolyte

3 S7 attacks with a 2+ save and a level 2 wizard that will probably be giving a 3rd power dice. While the other is good support in general, this one will support your entire army.

Another personal favourite

Vampire
Bsb
Spectral form

In a unit of cairn wraiths, 175 points and he will make wraiths unbeatable in combat (+1 to win combat AND -1 if you lose, combined with ethereal and about 12x S5 attacks)

sulla
23-05-2009, 02:44
Vampire
Bsb
Spectral form

In a unit of cairn wraiths, 175 points and he will make wraiths unbeatable in combat (+1 to win combat AND -1 if you lose, combined with ethereal and about 12x S5 attacks)Surely with etheral as his only protection he is fairly vulnerable, both to magic missiles and to being challenged?

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-05-2009, 06:45

I prefer this version:

Vampire, BSB, Talisman of Lycni, Sword of Might, Flayed Hauberk, Walking Death, Eternal Hatred (Optional).

9" move for a model with 360 degree LoS. 1+ Save, 3 str 6 WS 6 attacks with reroll to hit. Two points of static CR and crumbling one less. Don't send him into dragons and greater demons but he can handle most other things on his own.

I used to combine him with a mounted Wight King with Hand of Dust for extra fun. Those two could charge out and completely annihilate enemy units.

Spirit
23-05-2009, 17:20
Surely with etheral as his only protection he is fairly vulnerable, both to magic missiles and to being challenged?

When your in a unit of M6 skirmishers (he can only join ethereal units) that he allows to march regardless of their position, it becomes quite easy to hide.

Granted this wont work vs daemons, but for challenges you just dont charge the characters.