PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblins: CC vs Shooting

warpscum
28-12-2008, 20:03
In an all Night Goblin Army, is there a place for the Archers?

I mean, 16" range. At best 5+ to hit on over 8" away. Str 3. And 1pts more expensive than the shield & CC weapon night goblins. To me it feels like they just are a big expensive misstake.

On the other hand they add a little diversity to the army. To only have one sort of soldiers feels quite boring, but is there any other reason to include them?

Also, all Night Goblins versus Ogre Kingdomes, doomed to fail? :D

Avian
28-12-2008, 20:59
You are wrong on one point and that is the price. They both cost the same in this edition and in my experience they perform about the same, with the main point of either unit being to have another 20 warm bodies to put on the field for 89 pts (mus + fanatic). I don't care much either way and I'd just go with whatever unit you have painted or like the look of.

All Night Goblins vs. Ogres will depend quite a bit on what you have in your army, but generally the armies Ogres do best against are the ones with plenty of ranked infantry, few fast things and few things that can shoot.

warpscum
28-12-2008, 22:45
Oh, I just noticed. The copy of the Orcs & Goblins book I have in my hand is not the latest edition. Sorry.

Latro_
29-12-2008, 00:11
I dunno why people slate 16", from my experience of fantasy you are gonna be in and continue to be in that range for most of the game.

I'm thinking about a NG army next, i'll defo be taking some! However the gamer inside me things spear chukkas and bigger blocks of HW/S will be better.

theunwantedbeing
29-12-2008, 00:16
Think of it more as....with normal night goblins, your going to release your fanatics and sit and watch as the fanatics move around infront of you and then the enemy charges and kills you.

With night goblin archers, you get to shoot the enemy a bit while they sit back and shoot your fanatics.
As lets face it, your not going to be doing much (if any) damage in combat.

warpscum
29-12-2008, 02:39
Well, the idea would probably be to beat the enemy with outnumbering, extra ranks, banner and all other combat result modifiers. But the again, I would probably get at best a 5+ modifier thanks to ranks, outnumbering and banner and it isn
t that hard to kill 5 NGs to even it out...

selone
29-12-2008, 03:10
I have 2 units of 20 archers in my 1 k list, shields and HW's are good but without nets you likely wont get much of a save I've found. Experiment for yourself but there's use for both HW + S and Sbow's IMO.
I wouldn't say NG's vs OK is doomed to fail at all, granted you likely aren't their most difficult match up but there's no reason you can't beat them. Load up on the spear chukka's :D