PDA

View Full Version : Tyrannic War Veterans (stolen from Dakka

malika
28-04-2005, 19:47
look at this stuff: http://fr.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.fr?do=Individual&code=99060101316&orignav=10

Ruskins
28-04-2005, 19:53
Whilst those look cool, its kinda hard to tell they are tyranid hunters, some more ornate markings on the armor like in the codex would have been better.

Killgore
28-04-2005, 20:10
I like them, I'd buy a box and anouth Blisters to make a squad of 10 :)

Dreachon
28-04-2005, 20:34
Gonna be interesting though I find that they don't really represent the prefered enemy well enugh.

Sgt John Keel
28-04-2005, 20:54
Oooh, shiny.

Seriously, excellent models.

This is the kind of models that gets you to start an army. While they look generic enough, they still look special in an almost minimalist way.

Stupid-GW-I-do-not-want-to-start-Ultramarines.

Faith is my shield.

/Adrian

malika
28-04-2005, 20:58
Many people think that Tyrannic War Veterans have to almost dress up like Tyranids...which to me doesnt make sense at all, especially since these Space Marines are the Ultrmarines, the goody good Marines who like all good Space Marines are xenophobic as hell, but also strictly follow the Codex Astartes and are 'civilized', not that savage as in wearing the corpses of their enemies, which is more fitting for Space Wolves or Flesh Tearers!

Lostanddamned
28-04-2005, 21:00
*cries*

GW have really rained on my parade with these models, I was really looking forward to buying some and they are quite honestly, the worst models I have ever seen. Especially captian pegleg.

Evilmerlin
28-04-2005, 21:28
Well, the second and the fourth model looks really good!

Might get them and shave off those Ultra symbols for my wolves.

boogle
28-04-2005, 21:32
i actually really don't like them, they fall into the Cassius folder i'm afraid, they could well have been so much more, Engel, your's looked how they should have been

Str10_hurts
28-04-2005, 21:33
They look like crap, I converted 10 myself from a Ironhands boxed set and a heavybolter and carapace from nid's to give them some sort of extra armour to. some special deathwach bolters in it, frag krak genades and loads of purty seals. (yay bitsbox

Ny nidhunters look far better on table. (in my humble opinion)

Thousandth Son
28-04-2005, 21:40
Not to shabby, but when compared to the other new models they seem to fall a bit short.

boogle
28-04-2005, 22:00
funnily enough, they used my Scythes of the Emperor idea i had in 2000 for these

Guilliman
28-04-2005, 22:03
funnily enough, they used my Scythes of the Emperor idea i had in 2000 for these
Scythes of the Emperor?

Great models by the way, if some haven't noticed yet they actually do have the tyranid icon seen in the book on their right shoulder pads.

Wraith
28-04-2005, 22:08
Scythes of the Emperor?

A marine chapter which has a long history of fighting Tyranids -- almost destroyed by by Tyranids in fact IIRC.

Cypher
28-04-2005, 22:20
While I quite like these models, I do agree they dont exactly fit my idea of a Tyrannic War Veteran. I was expecting trophies and the like. These are more veterans with boltguns than anything else.

Inquisitor Engel
28-04-2005, 22:21
I like all but the one with Bionics. I'm glad they've kept the high-tech look on at least one of the models. I do rather prefer some of my conversions. I certainly won't be buying a whole squad, but they should integrate nicely.

boogle
28-04-2005, 22:24
still think the rules for these originally devised by the competition winner were more in keeping with proper Nid Vets

Wintermute
28-04-2005, 22:24
I like them, I'd buy a box and anouth Blisters to make a squad of 10 :)

They're only being released in blister packs.

boogle
28-04-2005, 22:26
thats why there is only 4 of them

Re: The Scythes, i had an i dea when i worked for GW, these guys got so mauled by the Nids, that there were only a handful of marines left and they we badly mutilated, they escape the planet, and got all bioniced up, and then went on a recruitment drive with the geneseed they had left, it was basically a scout based army with each squad being lead by a Vet Sgt in Power armour, they were set up like a Battle company would be (i even converted a Plasma Cannon and Multi Melta scout for my scout Devastators), I gave up the project when i tried to build some Land Speeders (1 Scout and 1 Marine per Speeder) and moved onto other things, plus i hate painting Yellow

violenceha
29-04-2005, 00:12
those are some of the best heads i've seen from GW in about 17 years

Inquisitor Engel
29-04-2005, 00:36
On closer examination - They almost look a little TOO ragged. I'll be getting the two without bionics and exchanging the heads. When you're fighting something that sprays acid, why would you remove your helmet?

Sir Charles
29-04-2005, 00:40
On closer examination - They almost look a little TOO ragged. I'll be getting the two without bionics and exchanging the heads. When you're fighting something that sprays acid, why would you remove your helmet?
Well, they are Space Marines, maybe they want to spit acid back :)

twisted_mentat
29-04-2005, 04:04
I think i'll get one of each, but at the same time, make the rest of the squad out of plastics (probbaly another command squad box combined with extra bits from the guant boxes i'm getting ready to buy...) add some of the extended carapaces to them...bam!

i do think some head swaps will be in order...

maybe make the helmets look they have been eaten away with acid..

hood_oz
29-04-2005, 05:11
Well, they are Space Marines, maybe they want to spit acid back :)

or their helmets have met a fate with acid in an earlier engagement and are on the refuse pile... no point in wearing half a helmet....

Personally I was hoping for some more tyranid trophies on the models, but I can certainly find a use for the shoulder pad icon. green stuff pressings of that one for me! Plus shaving off all the ultra icons and adding the models to my army as veteran sarge's.

I just hope that there is something in the works for the deathwatch, and we dont end up as let down as this. Personally they are nice, but not what I was hoping for with the various illustrations that had been shown.

I do have high standards, especially when it comes to the amount of time they have had for them. They just seem a little too, well, ordinary and close to the veteran models. I was hoping they would stand out more.

But green stuff pressings of the shoulder pad here I come! Suffer not the alien is going to be easy to spot on my troops! *grin*

Duymon
29-04-2005, 05:35
I like that they aren't wearing tyranid bits. Wouldn't you be a pissed off armor spirit if your owner stuck bug guts on you? :p

I don't dig the peg leg and the funny arm, but I like the other two guys, though They'll have their heads chopped off and get helmets :p

sulla
29-04-2005, 06:16

Duh, Engy...

Perhaps because your helmet got sprayed with acid? :p

I really like them. I wish the veterans had looked a bit more 'veteran' like this and a bit less like they were let loose with a curtain and a pop-rivet gun...

charlie_c67
29-04-2005, 09:46
Not quite sure what to make of them, they resemble cassius, which in my opinion is good cos I like the model (even if I can't have him with combiflamer), but there's something that I can't quite put my finger on. Ah well, I'll wait till the staff at my local has them in.

Brother Munro
29-04-2005, 10:44
The poses are a little off someow. Can't quite put it into words though. Hmmm. I'll still get them of course, damn GW releasing more cool Ultramarines! Let me get on with my dwarves!

de Selby
29-04-2005, 13:16
I like that they aren't wearing tyranid bits. Wouldn't you be a pissed off armor spirit if your owner stuck bug guts on you? :p

Works for me. The repeated tyranid head-with-sword-stuck-through-it emblem is enough for my taste. I like the straps and the bionics.

The ultramarines really did well out of the new codex and range, IMO. All the models are solid, and they got more cool rules than the other chapters combined (excluding the 4 not in the codex obviously. They get to wait...and wait...). :)

hood_oz
02-05-2005, 00:04
I really like them. I wish the veterans had looked a bit more 'veteran' like this and a bit less like they were let loose with a curtain and a pop-rivet gun...

Just picturing it now... *grin*

And then you can see them gluing rhinestones and plastic gems all over them... Its like elvis has been reborn, jump cape, rhinstones, big belt, flares....

Personally veterans are more likely to have huge amounts of gear, lots of extra ammo, and battle damage, rather than a kitchen curtain stapled to their shoulder pad.

I can see the arguement for having no bug guts nailed to the armour, but not all the fluff and old models convey that feeling. I still have old SM models with severed heads, and other trophies on them. Of course, these are from the 80's and 90's.... When the heads were too big, and the bolt pistols looked plain silly. (just way too small)

each his own. me, I am going to add lots of guts, skulls and so on, if not on the armour, on the models base. I like the first and second version of the cassius sketches before it got to the current one which was released. I like the tribal trophy look.

Xhalax
02-05-2005, 00:20
I'm not a big fan of them really. I expected them to be adorned with Nid bits...but they're not.
Actually I feel a bit let down as I adore the artwork for them in the codex (easily the best piece in the whole thing)

Ass Goblin
02-05-2005, 01:07
I would prefere them if they hade 'Nid parts attached to them and other war trophies. While there nice minies I dont see what makes them so diffrent from the current Vet's.

boogle
02-05-2005, 01:10
the thing is they just look like UM Vets and not Tyrannic War Vets

Gaebriel
02-05-2005, 11:32
Overall nice...

I like that they're not as "feral" looking as I thought they'd be. They're Ultramarines after all, and the look is "grounded" enough for that.

Only thing I would've liked is more dynamic poses like the right-most one.

And I miss a Heavy bolter - I think those will be popular...

Marty D
02-05-2005, 11:46
im planning to integrate the new veterans and these tyrannic war veterans as sergeants in my tactical squads - ive never been a fan of squads of veterans

these veterans all look good apart from the left one IMO. he just has a crap pose

zealousheretic
02-05-2005, 12:42
Somehow I think I'll be seeing a lot of these guys once they're released.

Bring 'em on!

de Selby
02-05-2005, 14:29
I'm a bit puzzled by the comments about the miniatures not being enough like the concept art. The marine in the dex doesn't have any nid bits stuck on him.

He has,
Gun on a carry strap: check.
Nid head with sword through it emblem, on knee and (with the eye of faith) right shoulder pad: check.
Variant chest armour with UM symbol and dagger: check.
Dangly devotional wotnots: mostly turned into purity seals.
Bare head: check (twice).
Curved combat knife/machete: check (once).

The mini's also have some bionic bits, which aren't much of a stretch for SM vets of any kind, plus grenades. There's a clear relationship between the art and the miniatures. Obviously the miniatures are not as good looking as the art, but they never are.

The marine in the dex is holding a severed nid head in a pensive fashion (actually, he looks like he's about to start in with 'alas, poor Yorick'). He's clearly just cut it from a corpse with the big knife in his other hand. But there's nothing to indicate that he carries it around with him in battle like a giant good luck charm, as apart from anything else he's got to put it down again sometime to use his gun.

Xhalax
02-05-2005, 19:14
I'm a bit puzzled by the comments about the miniatures not being enough like the concept art.

I never said that I was disappointed coz they didn't look like the artwork.
As usual, I failed to full explain myself to everyone who isn't me (a major character flaw that I have yet to iron out).

I love the concept artwork as they looked like something difference and special (plus it's just a hellishly nice piece) and so was really looking forward to seeing the models.....hoping they're be a good as the artwork, not exactly they same (as you've said there's only one guy not a whole squad....but there's just something about him).

Having a preconceived idea in my head that the Nid Hunters would carry some sort of Nid-y trophies (I'm a Wolves fan so I kinda expect people to carry trophies) or something that would really make them stand out as being Tyrannic War vets.
I saw the pictures and felt a bit let down, as boogle said, they look normal Vets rather than something a bit different and special.

I just expected more....hell even a Nid head on the base or a colour change to Nid head on their legs would have done.

But that's just me.

Slazton
09-05-2005, 11:40
Personally I like them, I think they got the Ultramarine feel with veterns and we all know we will buy them convert them for some purpose.

If you want more trophies etc, then buy a gaunts frame, grab a modeling knife, green stuff (or something close), the vets and have a lot of fun. COnverting is what makes this hobby ours.

Personally I don't see Ultramarines carrying trophies, I mean seriosuly, what trophy would you carry? A large head on your backpack, a scything talon as a new power sword? I mean its not something the Smurfs would do, but a custom made chapter might ;).

Mobius One
10-05-2005, 01:20
Personally I don't see Ultramarines carrying trophies, I mean seriosuly, what trophy would you carry? A large head on your backpack, a scything talon as a new power sword? I mean its not something the Smurfs would do, but a custom made chapter might ;).

I agree. I can see the Company Chaplain yelling "blasphemy, prancing around with xenos parts!" and the Company Techmarine yelling "how dare you defile your armor's spirit!", etc. etc. It just seems more like something a Chapter like the Space Wolves or even the Blood Angels would do.

This being said, the two models that I like are helmetless ones; they'd make good sergeants. The bionic leg on the first is a little awkward, and the sculpt on the legs of the third are a little wonky. His legs look thinner than normal.

-Mobius One.

hood_oz
10-05-2005, 07:24
I agree. I can see the Company Chaplain yelling "blasphemy, prancing around with xenos parts!" and the Company Techmarine yelling "how dare you defile your armor's spirit!", etc. etc. It just seems more like something a Chapter like the Space Wolves or even the Blood Angels would do.

Actually the Ultra chapter master is the biggest defiler of his armour under that arguement.

the gauntlets of ultramar were actually a CHAOS weapon that was taken off a dead chaos champion...

shame on him. :D

but even cassius has a book made out of tyranid bits. just check the model....

but, after having a seriously close look at them, I am getting used to them. Still in line for the greenstuff and the tyranid parts, but am getting more used to the look they went for.

JP/AT
10-05-2005, 09:57
Actually the Ultra chapter master is the biggest defiler of his armour under that arguement.

the gauntlets of ultramar were actually a CHAOS weapon that was taken off a dead chaos champion...

I think you will find they are of unknown origin... probably DAOT... Just because they once belonged to a Chaos Champion dont make them Chaos Weapons... :rolleyes:

but even cassius has a book made out of tyranid bits. just check the model....

but, after having a seriously close look at them, I am getting used to them. Still in line for the greenstuff and the tyranid parts, but am getting more used to the look they went for.

And when he is leading Brother Ultramarines in pray vs Nids I am sure he inspires all the hate we have for Tyranids....

Mobius One
11-05-2005, 03:15
I agree with JP/AT: the were Chaos weapons, but aren't now. I would assume that they went through a whole lot of consecration and numerous purity rituals before Marneus thought they were "pure" enough to bear them. Notice that they aren't painted in Chaotic colors anymore, nor do they have spiky bits on them or anything. They have become one with Marneus' armor, and are now more Ultramarine weapons than anything else.

In contrast, toting unpurified, unaltered dead Tyranid body parts around on your armor wouldn't be looked kindly upon, because they're still just dead Tyranids.

However, one could say that the trophies they've modelled onto their Tyranid hunters have been "purified", and I'd find nothing wrong with it. :D

Just my two cents.

-Mobius One.

JP/AT
11-05-2005, 09:43
We are Ultramarines.... Not feral looking Space Wolves... Teh TWVs are nice and at least 15 will be mine :).

As for the GOU... They were never chaos weapons and it was our Primarch that purified them. :D... Sorry I'm too fanatical :).

The boyz
19-05-2005, 10:22
I like the look of them, but they do need some distinguishing marks or iconography to say that they are veterans of the tyranic wars.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
19-05-2005, 19:38
I like the look of them, but they do need some distinguishing marks or iconography to say that they are veterans of the tyranic wars.

All the models have a tyranid hunter icon on their right shoulderpads (its a knife through a stylised tyranid skull), and some of them have it on their legs too. Is that not enough for you?

Rob

stahly
06-06-2005, 18:26
Does somebody know, if there will be a seargent and a marine with a heavy bolter, too?

These veterans are very ass kicking models, but they are so full of ornaments that you can't convert other space marine models into them if you aren't totally into modelling.

Exavier
06-06-2005, 18:41
but....these models are soooo bad..there's only four of them, and one are special (i.e. lieutenant, ancient etc) and that means three models that have to be repeated for 10 men squad. jeez...

XaNder
06-06-2005, 19:57
I like all but the one with Bionics.

Me two... unfortunately there are 2 with bionics (peg leg is one and bionic right arm the other one); the fourth is the coolest for me.

Am I mistaking or should there also be another one (with a bolter hanging by a strip on the right shoulder)? Or was it destine to BTs?

Cheers,
XaN

Brimstone
06-06-2005, 20:24
Am I mistaking or should there also be another one (with a bolter hanging by a strip on the right shoulder)? Or was it destine to BTs?

Cheers,
XaN

I take you mean the one in the roundup, the guessing is that he is a Templar although that's subject to confirmation.