PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about servitor background.

Anthony Case
29-12-2008, 13:48
I'm planning on adding some servitor rules in our games of Necromunda as part of a campaign storyline but before writing up the rules I have some questions about their background.

1. Are all servitors only ever made on Mars, or is it possible that there are tech-priests inside Hive Primus busy turning criminals into tech-servitors to be bought by the Houses?

2. Can combat/gun-servitors work on their own initiative, or are they completely reliant on a 'master' to order their actions? Rules-wise this would mean the difference between the servitor requiring to be within a certain distance to a 'master' fighter in order to shoot/charge, or being able to move and shoot/charge freely just like a regular fighter.

3. Do combat/gun-servitors still have the ability to become better at their job? For example, if a gun-servitor shoots often enough does he become more accurate? Rules-wise this would mean the difference between the servitor being able to gain advances/skills in their specific field, or not advance at all.

Maidel
29-12-2008, 14:06
1) Servitors are made all over the place, probably on any technologically advanced worlds.

2) they could be given intructions, but would probably follow them to the letter, i dont think its ever been specifically stated how intelligent they are.

3) No - but it would be possible to upgrade them in some ways, which could represent them gaining advantages and experiance.

Fire Harte
29-12-2008, 14:19
Agree with maidel pretty much:

1) Forge Worlds as well, produce lots via crinamals and vat grown ones.

2) Servitors are very similar to computers i nmost respects.

3) No. Upgrade or replace them. That's all their is really.

MacVurrich
29-12-2008, 14:41
2. Can combat/gun-servitors work on their own initiative, or are they completely reliant on a 'master' to order their actions? Rules-wise this would mean the difference between the servitor requiring to be within a certain distance to a 'master' fighter in order to shoot/charge, or being able to move and shoot/charge freely just like a regular fighter.

Not much help but in one of the Warhammer monthly stories an Assassin sneeks into a Tech fortress (location unknown) and restores the memory and personality of a servitor prisoner who is need to hunt down a renegade inquistor who he onced served and "let" escape thus being sentencce to being a servitor

can't remember his name thouigh the original series was called inquisitor

So according to some background "some" servitors have the abilitity to access the indvidual thought

Bit of a shot in the dark

Sceleris
29-12-2008, 14:41
1 - Most Admech groups would have the ability to make servitors - either from criminals or using vast grown bodies.

2 - Depends. Some servitors are mono-task, others have a wider remit. Depending on the situation they either tend to be slaved to an overall system (motion sensor based, shoot on sight type affair), have a little automony but basically following a program or personally activated by the handler (in one of the Ravenor books, I think the middle one, another Inquisitor has a pair of hound servitors who were voice controlled).

3 - They wouldn't be able to advance themselves but you could make it so that the owner/controller could upgrade them and thus be given improved stats/skills.

electricwolf
29-12-2008, 14:50
servitors are made everywhere. Some space marine chapters use failed recruits to make servitors.

I would think that sense their brains are basically a computer they only follow what instructions are in their memory but the handler can add commands on the fly or by voice commands.

Since they are computers they can not "learn" per say. I think their program could be updated but that would require a new program from the tech-adept or the techmarine. I think someone with good skills could have thr program on hand then upgrade the program at the required time but you might also set it up that if they want upgrades to the servitor they have to goto a tech adept.

Maidel
29-12-2008, 15:12
servitors are made everywhere. Some space marine chapters use failed recruits to make servitors.

Are you sure about this - because it was a common misconception that failed space wolf initiates were made into servitors, which was wrong because they became thralls, which later on were confirmed as human servants rather than servitors.

IF however its another chapter, ill stand corrected.

09Project
29-12-2008, 15:20
Are you sure about this - because it was a common misconception that failed space wolf initiates were made into servitors, which was wrong because they became thralls, which later on were confirmed as human servants rather than servitors.

IF however its another chapter, ill stand corrected.

Black Templars codex states [P27 Wargear section]..

Cenobyte Servitors -
Augmented Servitors that assist the Chaplains of in maintaining the sanctity of the the chapels aboard the Crusade fleet, these are Neophytes who did not become Inititates yet serve the Chapter Still.

So there is one wee example.

Maidel
29-12-2008, 15:24
Black Templars codex states [P27 Wargear section]..

Cenobyte Servitors -

So there is one wee example.

Thanks - black templars are one of the few armies i have no interrest in what so ever (along with dark eldar...) so if i was going to be wrong - that doesnt surprise me at all :D

Lord Damocles
29-12-2008, 15:25
1. Are all servitors only ever made on Mars, or is it possible that there are tech-priests inside Hive Primus busy turning criminals into tech-servitors to be bought by the Houses?
Almost any world with a reasonable tech level can probably produce servitors. Vat-grown versions might be rarer outside of major Ad mech centres due to the restictions on bio-technology I suppose.

The creation of servitors in Hive Primus isn't too far fetched. They (as in underhivers) have the technology to implant lobo-chips, and graft on bionic limbs. Put them together and you've got yourself a crude servitor right there.

Servitors require comands to do things (eg. 'stand guard'), but they're able to work on their own to an extent. A pilot-servitor will be able to adjust a flight path to avoid an obstacle, or a tech-sevitor will be able to perform various repair protocols without being told more then 'fix it'.
In a BL book which I've forgotten the title of (about the evacuation of a planet which is about to be destroyed by the Planet Killer), there's a hospitality-servitor which mistakes the captains of several ships meeting as a social engagement and takes them a tray of drinks; so they can 'think' to an extent.
It probably depends on the individual servitor to a large extent.

3. Do combat/gun-servitors still have the ability to become better at their job? For example, if a gun-servitor shoots often enough does he become more accurate? Rules-wise this would mean the difference between the servitor being able to gain advances/skills in their specific field, or not advance at all.
I'd go with servitors being able to learn up to a very basic level (if you step in the fire it's hot etc.), but I'd draw the line at gaining 'skills'.

09Project
29-12-2008, 15:29
Thanks - black templars are one of the few armies i have no interrest in what so ever (along with dark eldar...) so if i was going to be wrong - that doesnt surprise me at all :D

hehe nay worries, though I am pretty sure I have read somewhere else about potential marines that fail the initiation and become serverly injured or a 'bit gone upstairs' also being used as servitors, for some reason I am thinking Dark Angels but don't hold me to the chapter.

As for Black Templars, they Orks in power armour I am telling you! The only marine chapter I personally get on with, may collect them one day.. Need to finish my latest Orks though first..

Anthony Case
29-12-2008, 18:20
Thanks guys, you've all been exceptionally helpful. :)

Cygnusmaximus
29-12-2008, 20:13
The new Space Marine Codex adds a "Mindlock" special rule to servitors that has them freeze up from time to time unless a techmarine is with them.

You could represent that in Necromunda by giving them Ld 6/7 and requiring them to pass a Ld test to operate (obviously the leader's presence would help with that). Additionally you could offer "programming upgrades" that could be purchased to up the servitor's Ld, making it better at operating on its own.

Just a thought.

Giganthrax
30-12-2008, 00:05
Some of the failed space marine initiates become servitors, too. Some are grown in vats, and others are made from lobotomized criminals. There's plenty of ways to make them.

As cygnus said, servitors suffer from mindlock unless supervised. Technically, they could follow orders, but unless a techmarine is close enough to control them directly, sooner or later they will mindlock - just standing in place and babbling incoherently.

09Project
30-12-2008, 01:04
Hang on a minute, weren't there feral servitors in Mechanicus HH novel? Ones who must have some self preservation ideas and limited ability to act on their own accord?

Maidel
30-12-2008, 01:08
Hang on a minute, weren't there feral servitors in Mechanicus HH novel? Ones who must have some self preservation ideas and limited ability to act on their own accord?

not read it yet - so hold back with the spoilers please!

but a servitor would have whatever programming it was given, so if you programmed it with some idea of its own self worth (even that you programmed in a cost to replace it and it knew not to needlessly sacrifice itself)

Not to mention if its a HH novel then there is chaos involved - and that always throws a spanner in the works.

09Project
30-12-2008, 01:10
not read it yet - so hold back with the spoilers please!

but a servitor would have whatever programming it was given, so if you programmed it with some idea of its own self worth (even that you programmed in a cost to replace it and it knew not to needlessly sacrifice itself)

Not to mention if its a HH novel then there is chaos involved - and that always throws a spanner in the works.

It not a story device, but just a 'happens to be there', but anyway, was going to say something about 'chaos being involved' but, won't as well, when you read it you will find out.. But read it quick so you can get back to me on it = D

Adra
30-12-2008, 01:22
I remember a long time ago some fluff about servitors having their crime written on a brass plate screwed to their chest so all could see the crime that made themn a servitor. obviously that only applied to the criminal types and not the vat grown Yakult type.