PDA

View Full Version : dread lord set ups

lector#1
29-12-2008, 15:54
hey i was thinking of combonations for my lord when i get to that many points which of the folowing do you think is good??

dreadlord, pendant of kaeleth, heavy armour, hydra blade, potion of strength, shield

dreadlord, pendant of kaeleth, heavy armour, dagger of hotek, hand weapon(can he take a halberd) potion of strength

dreadlord, pendant of kaeleth, crimson death, armour of eternal servitude.

regardless he will be in a unit of 20 black guard, 3x7 and with the banner of har ganeth but if i use option 2 i will swap the banner of HG for the dreadbanner

what do you think i want my dreadlord to really good at kiling everything the first 2 options will use the potion when i ave to take down a dragon or knights, and the 3rd option would be my character hunter

backslide
29-12-2008, 22:14
don't think black guard need a dreadlord in them to make them hard!

your better off putting him in another unit to make it harder, corsairs or COK's

mossel
29-12-2008, 23:48
third is my favourite, but I've got a few remarks...

don't take the crimson death if you can buy soulrender! it's cheaper and has the samen effect (S6) + bonus armour piercing! as the dreadlord will be in the black guard, he will also benefit from ASF.

I'd like to see him better armoured, as low strenght attacks will kill him rather easily...

stonehorse
30-12-2008, 01:51
Option 3 is the best, just replace Crimson Death with Soulrender, and drop the size of the unit down. 20 Black Guard is far too many.

Give the unit champion either Crimson Death or the Ring of Hotek, the Dreadlord accepts any challenges, never issue, as he'll no doubt be fighting against an enemy unit champion, while the enemies tooled up character will weather the storm of your Black Guard attacks and then butcher them. If he doesn't issue a challenge direct both the dreadlord and the Black Guard Champions attacks against them.

W0lf
30-12-2008, 02:09
AS said by the above too drop crimson death.

However i highly suggest taking a mundane great weapon and potion of strength over soul taker.

S9 for 2 turns of comabt is amazing and with ASF S9 and hatred you can say goodbye to knights. Its also useful for wailing on things like T5+ lords and monsters.

Plus its more fun ;)

stonehorse
30-12-2008, 02:25
Good Idea W0lf... it is useful for when your lord requires that extra bit of punch,

Another good one is to just take Executioners Axe and enjoy the ASF goodness that will happen, due to the banner.

That weapon has to be one of the best in the entire game... plus it seems to be one of the under used items so will throw a lot of opponents off guard.

lector#1
30-12-2008, 02:50
yeah i like the idea of the executioners axe but it leaves my lord open to getting killed

the reason why i was going to use the hydra blade was because it was a posible 7 str 7 after drinking the potion but yeah i like the idea of the mundane great weapon

stonehorse
30-12-2008, 03:09
Not really, the unit has the ASF banner, not many things will be able to survive what the Dreadlord with the Executioners axe can do.

4 attacks at WS 7 with hatred, at strength double the targets toughness and each wound doing D3, plus backed up by always striking first.

You could give him Blood armour to offer a little protection, but his sheer brutality is enough to protect him.

lector#1
30-12-2008, 03:31
yeah ill try that and try wolfs combonation and see which works better

Elves All The Way
30-12-2008, 03:48
Exce Axe is good but with two big flaws
1. It's so good people will start avoiding it
2. Thng like Vauls unmaking and other spells and items wich negate it will ust down right tick you off, 80pts is very tempting to destroy. and as for the theory made by stonehorse that the best defence is a good offense, a simple ward save will shater your hopes. But with that all said and done i can't deny te fact that it is a devastating weapon, but ust keep those points in mind and think throughly before usuing it.

And with the idea of taking the hydra blade, why not take the heartseeker instead? with the heartseeker you can re-roll 3 (or 4 if taking a dreadlord) hits and wounds all the time wic IMHO is far better then a possible extra 3 attacks

Also what about chillblade i dont hear anyone talkin about it, is it worth the 50pts?

stonehorse
30-12-2008, 04:02
A ward save will shater most attacks... that is the idea of Ward saves, but as I was hinting at due to hatred, and the potential high strength the enemy will be forced to take a lot of Ward Saves, and with each unsaved wound turning into D3, against most Lord characters only 1 wounding attack getting past any ward can mean death.

As for the magic spell threat, just give the unit champion the Ring of Hotek.