PDA

View Full Version : Which 54mm -I- Model to use?

Toyship
29-12-2008, 20:32
Hey all, I'm looking to get into Inguistor, and I have a recent influx of funding, so now seems to be the time. My question to you is, Do any of you have suggestions as to what model to use to make a 40k version of the attached pic. I want to keep the bare arms and clawed hands, and possibly convert a terminator helmet for the head.

I'm thinking that the Thorian Inquisitor or Devotee Malicant are my best bets, what does everyone else think?

Charax
29-12-2008, 22:24
Severina Devout
- file down the chest
- reposition arms at sides (snip them apart at the middle)
- sculpt robes/skirt
- replace hands with Necron Wraith claws
- use scroll-cases from the 40K Dark Angels sprue
- convert helmet from Damien 1427 (or just sculpt on top of her head, doesn't make a lot of difference)
- bandage-like body armour should be *really* simple to sculpt and you can use a Necron Destroyer's shoulder as his shoulderpad

Done.

Toyship
29-12-2008, 22:37
Thats a great idea, one question though, arent Severina, or her sister's, hands joined together? I guess it really doesnt matter for this conversion. Thanks for your help!

Charax
29-12-2008, 23:00
they both have joined hands/arms, that's why I said "snip them apart at the middle" (severinas are joined from the wrists onwards, Sevoras at just the hands IIRC)

Severina's the one with the sword, btw

kaled
30-12-2008, 01:17
Charax's idea is perhaps not the easiest conversion IMHO, but is definitely workable. Severina's legs may be a problem as she's wearing heels, but it depends how you want your model to look. As an alternative, Von Castellan is also pretty slender and his legs are easy to repose - file off the detail on his torso and then follow Charax's suggestions. BTW, tomato puree tubes are made of thin metal sheet, and are a great way to make robes if you don't want to sculpt them.

It's also worth remembering that GW are not the only company that sell 54mm miniatures. Andrea, Pegaso, Romeo, Draconia, Reaper, Pizarro and more all make excellent miniatures that could easily be converted for use in Inquisitor and you might find a good base model in one of their ranges. If you were in the UK, I'd say to look at Historex (http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxshop.php) as they sell most of the above, but I'm sure you can find a similar company over there.

Also, you might want to take a look here (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=882) - I'd love to see as many entries as possible and this looks like it could turn into a great model/character.

- Dave

Charax
30-12-2008, 02:01
well, I kind of assumed that the skirt would cover the legs, and the concept doesn't actually have any legs, so I didn't consider it that big a deal :)

Severina's body shape will be a little...hourglassy, so before bandaging him up like ancient egyptian royalty I'd bulk up the body a little.

Toyship
30-12-2008, 03:10
Well, I guess we'll have to see what I come with, and BTW Kaled, I registered over at the Conclave, hopefully you wil see more from me soon. My name there is Morgaris.

THanks for all your help guys!

precinctomega
30-12-2008, 09:57
Don't I know you from Ordo Illuminatus?

R.

kaled
30-12-2008, 12:28
I just had a thought. The torso of the Dessert(?!) Prince (http://www.pizarrominiaturas.com/tienda/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=16) bears some similarity to the picture you posted. The arms are good too, and although you'd no doubt want to change the legs, if they're mainly going to be covered by skirts you could just use his feet under scratch built robes.

Toyship
30-12-2008, 13:25
@ Precinct Omega- Yup you do!

@Kaled- The torso and arms look perfect! And like you said, it would only be a matter of covering up his legs/feet. Thanks!

precinctomega
31-12-2008, 16:38
Frankly, dear chap, if you want to get a truly accurate portrayal of that piece of artwork, your best option is to sculpt it yourself or, alternatively, to pay someone else to do it for you. That said, Dave's link to the Desert Prince (a.k.a. "Prince of Persia" model ripped off in a way that only the Spanish could possibly get away with without getting their backsides sued to the far side of the Moon) does pretty much suggest a good starting point.

R.

Toyship
01-01-2009, 01:09
I think for now, I may go for something a little less money intensive. My sculpting would do no justice to what I would want to achieve with this fellow, so he may have to be reserved for another time. Anyway this guy has caught my eye: http://www.ultracast.ca/products/54/004/default.htm

I think I will be turning him into my as yet unbuilt Inquisitor's pilot. He'll be suitably converted of course, with a bionic leg of plasticard and a new bionic eye methinks.

Charax
01-01-2009, 01:16
where's the original picture from anyway? He looks funky, I may give him ago myself

Toyship
01-01-2009, 04:53
Its a concept for "The Force Unleashed" by Lucas Arts. In it you can unlock the Ultimate Good costume, or in the case of this one, Ultimate Evil. I guess its supposed to be a Sith thing. Oh, and those scrolls around his waist are lightsabers ;).