PDA

View Full Version : Marks for Chaos, Painting

Hiddius
30-12-2008, 02:59
This is rather a simple question, but I have given it alot of thought, so I just thought about asking you guys...

If I for now, have a Unit of Chaos Warriors with Mark of Nurgle, do I have to paint the models Nurglish?

As the marks are only upgrades, and there is no specific units, like in 40k, with Plague Marines and such, do I accually have to paint my models the colour of the marks that I choose?

Mr.chair
30-12-2008, 03:10
Nope. Thankfully GW is pretty forgiving towards conversions and "counts as" paint schemes. I would, however, avoid painting a unit with visible marks in one color and then playing them as another mark (IE painted as Nurgle and playing with Khorne rules) simply because it's confusing to your opponent.

Ghilleman
30-12-2008, 03:36
Nope. Thankfully GW is pretty forgiving towards conversions and "counts as" paint schemes. I would, however, avoid painting a unit with visible marks in one color and then playing them as another mark (IE painted as Nurgle and playing with Khorne rules) simply because it's confusing to your opponent.
I agree. An easy solution would probably to just paint up some bases with marks (I.E. a base for each of the marks you plan to use) and just put it next to the unit and make it clear to your opponent what they represent.

Thurizdan
30-12-2008, 03:51
Or even paint them all generic (black or silver armour) and paint four different standard bearers with god specific standards.

Hiddius
30-12-2008, 11:41
Thanks, I were worried that I would have such an one-sided army.. Would make me sick of WoC.
But still, as the marks are an upgrade, do I have to tell my opponent my marks? That would make the game much easier for my opponent.
One does not have to tell the opponent that, if my Chaos Warriors, for example are armed with hand weapon, shield and greatweapon, and modelled with only hand weapon and shield, that they ALSO have GW, true?

That idea with having marks on, for example the bases, I would make if for the movement trays. And that banner idea is also good, but what if I don't have additional banners to spare for it?

Guanyin
30-12-2008, 11:53
One does not have to tell the opponent that, if my Chaos Warriors, for example are armed with hand weapon, shield and greatweapon, and modelled with only hand weapon and shield, that they ALSO have GW, true?

That idea with having marks on, for example the bases, I would make if for the movement trays. And that banner idea is also good, but what if I don't have additional banners to spare for it?

You have to inform your opponent about all mundane equipment. Marks are somewhat questionable I guess, most tournies I've been at makes you reveal marks aswell. But mundane gear is no discussion.

You mean you have no banners to spare, or no models? Because it aint very tricky to stick a banner in the hands of a plastic rank-n-file. Give it a try ;)

Griefbringer
30-12-2008, 15:05
T

Going by the weapon rules, the majority of the models should have their weapons modelled correctly, and furthermore the unit overall should be presented in such a way that there is no confusion about their armament.

Hiddius
30-12-2008, 16:13
Okay, then I know. Atleast at my local gaming corner, we follow simple logic and reasonable things, not discussing rules, and try to make the games as fun as possible..
I have never been in a tourney, but thanks for telling me that then.. Will follow that now, and that thing with mundane, never knew it.
Just to clarify, if I have a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount, and he uses a Greatweapon also (GW on mounts lawl), but is modelled with hand weapon and shield, I have to tell my opponent that?
Or for example Quarellers (or what they are called, those dwarfs with crossbow), and equipped with GW, he has to tell me that?

Originally Posted by Guanyin
You mean you have no banners to spare, or no models? Because it aint very tricky to stick a banner in the hands of a plastic rank-n-file. Give it a try

I have the models and banners, but that would cripple my army, if I ever think about running with 3x12 units. But I allways run Nurgle Warriors..
But for knights, and other more, expensive units, it's kind of hard for one that doesn't have so much money. :D

And for that "reveal marks for tournies", do you do that AFTER deployment, or during?

nosferatu1001
30-12-2008, 16:17
ALL mundane equipment has to be modelled and declared, or at minimum declared - e.g. light armour, shield, halberd would be a standard declaration, along with "full command" or "champion only"

So in your example, you would have to declare the Great Weapon on the mount as it is mundane, along with any mundane equipment e.g. chaos armour, shield etc. When you don't declare shield he will probably assume runeshield ;)

Briohmar
30-12-2008, 16:27
I have an idea that comes from a lot of 40K players I know. Fasten a small magnet onto each unit's banner, then magnetize an appropriate symbol, and just stick it on when you use that unit. it doesn't need to be much, just enough to get the message across. actually, the best placement for it would be the finial on the banner pole (that's the top piece. maybe just use four skulls, each with a hand drawn symbol on it, and voila, mix and match Chaos marks.

Griefbringer
30-12-2008, 18:47
You might also be able to make inter-changeable banner simply by drilling a hole through the arm and base, to which a metal banner pole (piece of steel rod) could be inserted.

Neckutter
31-12-2008, 20:35
I have an idea that comes from a lot of 40K players I know. Fasten a small magnet onto each unit's banner, then magnetize an appropriate symbol, and just stick it on when you use that unit. it doesn't need to be much, just enough to get the message across. actually, the best placement for it would be the finial on the banner pole (that's the top piece. maybe just use four skulls, each with a hand drawn symbol on it, and voila, mix and match Chaos marks.

keep your silly 40k ideas on the 40k forum!! :P

it should be blasphemous against the ruinous powers to have your slaanesh warriors not be pink, or your khorne guys not red.

of course i say this, because i finally finished my 18-man squad of DA green/snot green chaos warriors for my mostly nurgle army.(no more proxying my 20 blue tzeentch warriors)

Geddonight
01-01-2009, 18:20
Well, i Know the Chaos Warriors box comes with oodles of banner poles. What you can do is buy the cheap 3-warrior box set from GW to create extra banner bearers for likely marks.

popisdead
04-01-2009, 16:29
no?!?!!? they are YOUR models. Paint them how you want.

Nowhere in the rule does it state "this must be green with brown washes" or "must look like one of the 'Eavy Metal nurgle models".