PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest Lists You Have Faced In A Tournament

Nicha11
30-12-2008, 12:06
Very simple show me the weirdest lists you have come across in a tournament.

Rikkjourd
30-12-2008, 12:51
20 minotaurs with mino lord. Khorne, great weapons, I think banner of Neverlosingfrenzy and BSB with a stubborn banner behind the minos in a skirmish unit. Giant and some small units to protect flanks and block baiters.

To win, you had to first catch his BSB and then win combat against the mega minotaur regiment. Hitting it with stone throwers / cannons also works but it is hard to shoot it enough to get all the juicy VPs hidden in the second half of the unit and the lord + bsb.

changer of fate
30-12-2008, 15:35
I dont know if its actually wired or just that i havent faceed enough armies yet.

Anyway, it was a 2000pts VC army have more than half of the points spent on characters and another 400 points spent on blood knights, the rest of the army is just filled up by zombies and a squad of skeletons.

well 3 knights got annihilated by the hellcannon on the first turn and Mannfred got bashed by a unit of chaos knights, chaos warriors and a marauder horseman unit.

after the general died, the rest of the army kind of just fell apart and most of them got killed by combat res.

thats all i got,:p

Briohmar
30-12-2008, 16:34
I once faced a Dwarf army with no shooting. This was in a 6th edition tournament, had 3 units of Clan warriors, Miners (coming up from the ground,) Iron Breakers, Hammerers, and slayers. The hero selection was a Lord and three thanes. The funniest part about that game was that it was a special deployment where we each had a single quarter, ala older 40K, and each unit had to be placed at least 12" from the enemy. My fast attack Slaanesh took that army apart like you wouldn't believe, but he won his other two games by massacre, and finished in the top third.

Ozorik
30-12-2008, 16:38
I once faced a Dwarf army with no shooting

Thats not particularly weird.

Briohmar
30-12-2008, 17:06

I don't know what dwarves you've faced, but I assure you, it is particularly wierd, especially since Thunderers used to me move and shoot.

Brimweave
30-12-2008, 17:13

Yeah, dwarfs without shooting lists aren't to weird, its just that loads of people playing dwarfs take pure gunlines as they always want to win no matter how boring the game is or/and are 12 years old :p

Ward.
01-01-2009, 10:32
1 unit of 1 hundred skinks, that's not the whole list but thats the bit that's always stuck with me.

mossel
01-01-2009, 12:27
I bet those skinks can easily take down a giant :p

Brother xavier
02-01-2009, 00:00
Chaos Dwarves. . .

Necromancy Black
02-01-2009, 00:07
1 unit of 1 hundred skinks, that's not the whole list but thats the bit that's always stuck with me.

Uh...skink units are capped at 25, so it would've been 4 full units of them.

I faced an all Dryad army, that was not so much weird but definitly different.

Lord Dan
02-01-2009, 00:28
An empire list with two units of 15-20 knights. I suppose it's not really all that weird, but it definately made me look twice at the board.

He lost the game because one unit broke from combat and panicked the other.

Ward.
02-01-2009, 01:38
Uh...skink units are capped at 25, so it would've been 4 full units of them.

I faced an all Dryad army, that was not so much weird but definitly different.

I did not know that, explains why he didn't bring his army book though.

Jericho
02-01-2009, 03:47
Haha, yes it wound, Ward. Yes it would.

Someone not bringing an army book to a tourney is stupid, they shouldn't be allowed to play without it.

Rodman49
02-01-2009, 10:35
Let's see . . .

Once saw a Wood Elf Phalanx army (40 Eternal Guard with 4 Characters).

Latro
02-01-2009, 16:26
I once played a 3 character army + spawn in a 1K tournament ... I even won :D

It had two Exalted Heroes of Khorne in a Chariot of Khorne with assorted magical toys, one Undivided Exalted BSB with that expensive Banner that makes nearby unit stubborn ... and a Spawn (Khorne as well).

It deployed very fast, that army!

:cool:

mossel
02-01-2009, 17:11
WE at 2000 pts (though I only afterwards thought of it as lacking a third core choice)

Lord with GW and amber pendant
Noble BSB
Noble with GW and annoyance of netlings
caddy

a HUGE block of eternal guard, +30
20 glade guard with stand and shoot banner

2x 10 wardancers
6 wild riders

and that's about it IIRC
not what I am used of wood elves...

Cypher, the Emperor
03-01-2009, 03:19
I probably belong on this list for my "all ranged gobbo army" that I built once.

People would see me set up and just give me these very strange stares. I wouldn't call it weird but I played against the guy with the Avian Beastman army that was in WD awhile ago, and bizzarely enough its not as impressive in person. But atleast its a solid list.

OOOH! I just remembered, back when I started WHFB during 6th I actually played a Tzeentch army when it was bad (realy bad).

I just have a love for really bad armies I guess. Even in 40k I spent about 6 months playing a (plasma heavy) Catachan Death World Veterans list.

zerachiel
04-01-2009, 14:32
I dont know if its actually wired or just that i havent faceed enough armies yet.

Anyway, it was a 2000pts VC army have more than half of the points spent on characters and another 400 points spent on blood knights, the rest of the army is just filled up by zombies and a squad of skeletons.

well 3 knights got annihilated by the hellcannon on the first turn and Mannfred got bashed by a unit of chaos knights, chaos warriors and a marauder horseman unit.

after the general died, the rest of the army kind of just fell apart and most of them got killed by combat res.

thats all i got,:p

That's actually not odd at all, as its one of the two lists (from what I've seen/heard) Vampire Counts frequently brings to tournaments- this list being the fighty one, and the other being the magic one. It's a "Death Star" list, with the entire army focusing on one unit that eats everything alive. It'd likely have a Wight King BSB with the Banner of Regen, Mannfred, and the Blood Knight Banner of 4+ Ward, or Banner of Hatred. The alternative Death Star is the Grave Guard with Great Weapons, Wight King with Banner of Regen, Grave Guard Banner of +1 to Hit, and a million and a one ways to make them ASF.

He must've been rolling pretty terribly for the unit to have been taken down so easily, though... That or you outmaneuvered him like mad (and being a VC player, I just can't accept that, now can I? :D).

Freenut
04-01-2009, 17:38
Did not play it but a guy showed up once with Lord Kroak, 2 skink priest and about 600 pts worth of scouting skinks. Only time I ever saw judges at tourny. call a guy out for being a jerk.

Whitesox
04-01-2009, 18:06
Vampire Lord, Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up

5x Corpse Carts all with Balefire
3x 25 Zombies & Vamps
1x 50 Zombies & Vamp Lord

Played them with my Orcs & Gobbos.......

WhiteKnight
04-01-2009, 19:10
An all chariot beastmen army with 1 character, a lord. I just launched magic missile after magic missile and he had two chariots left. Bolt throwered them to bits in turn 2.

Freenut
04-01-2009, 19:19
Vampire Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up

3x 25 Zombies & Vamps

Was illegal list. Characters can not join zombie units.

Whitesox
04-01-2009, 20:48
Damn..... wouldnt of made much difference anyway due to orcs and gobbos inefficiency of dealing with single models who can move 6"

Chicago Slim
05-01-2009, 01:24
Greenskins got no problems with even fast-moving single models, so long as you remembered to bring the artillery-- Bolt Throwers and Doom Divers, in massed fire, will rock those guys.

Or, you know, Arrer Boyz, but who brings those, anyway? (Other than me-- I have 40 of them!)

Ghilleman
05-01-2009, 01:38
You know, this thread has made me wonder about the glorious appearance (and likely subsequent downfall) of a WE air force.
WE highborn on great Eagle (whatever for items)
8 dryads
8 dryads
8 dryads
12 warhawk riders
12 warhawk riders
12 warhawk riders

Would be fun to play with, in any case.

Lotl Botl
05-01-2009, 02:21
before my local GW store closed down a beastmen guy ran a list witht morghur (i think that is the name of the mutating guy)
anyway it was a wierd battle he ended up turning like 15 warhounds into spawns it sucked, i let him represent some of the spawns though so it didnt have the full afect but it was wierd

Coram_Boy
05-01-2009, 23:32
My friend played me with a vampire ethereal list, basically lots of wraiths spirit hosts and the ethereal bloodline choice. too bad I took skaven with an engineer, grey seer, and a warpfire thrower, and jezzails. I basically destroyed his army before he got close enough to make me run away :D

Cromenon
06-01-2009, 10:00
In the last tournament I went there was a guy who brought an all-goblin army. 200+ miniatures. 21 fanatics. That was weird.

Lordmonkey
06-01-2009, 13:23
Vampire Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up
Vampire Combat Set Up

3x 25 Zombies & Vamps

Illegal, since characters cannot join zombie units. Awesome idea regardless...

**EDIT** someone already pointed this out, my bad.