PDA

View Full Version : Questions about VC

Jack Spratt
30-12-2008, 20:59
Hey! I have a couple of questions and appreciate any help...

1) In relation to 'hunter in the dark' and 'armour of night' would you consider a vamp with 'flying horror' to be on foot (they can choose to use their ground movement)?

2) Am I right that only a vamp with 'dread knight' would be able to take 'dreadlance' or 'balefire spike'? (So a vamp on say... a zombie dragon without 'dread knight' would not be able to take one of the magical lances... :cries:

3) Would you agree with me that a corpse cart with unholy lodestone within 6' of a unit of blood knights would allow that unit to regian 2 wounds form a single casting of invocation (assuming that the blood knights were already down by 2 wounds i relation to their stating strength when the invocation was cast)?

Thanks for any comments...

Cheers,
Jack :)

mightygnoblar
30-12-2008, 21:09
1) yes he is still "on foot" if he can fly of his own accord
2) No, any mounted vamp can take a magical lance
3) No, it specifically states that vampires still only recover 1 wound when within range of the lodestone, since blood knights are vamps they one recover 1 wound

Jack Spratt
30-12-2008, 21:30
Thanks mightygnoblar!

1) Can you tell me where it states that a model is still 'on foot' even if he has the fly special rule or maby what paragraf you derive it from?

2) But in the main book it says that you can only take a magic item if you also have acces to the mundane version. Do you really think that acces to a vampiric powers that gives you acces to a lance is what they intented?

3) My mistake - but it would work with a spirit host... yes?

I am asking these questions in order to understand what you are saying and pick up som wordammo when I need to convince my opponents... Its not because i am negative or anything :) :) :)

Thanks man...

mightygnoblar
30-12-2008, 21:45
1) any model that is not mounted (horse, dragon, chariot) is considerd to be on foot, i dont think that its explicitedly mentioned though

2) this restriction only applied to armour, not weapons

3) yes i believe this would be the case

happy to help :D

Jack Spratt
30-12-2008, 22:15
1) Hmmmmm... I am not sure you are right on this one, it is not that important anyways... but thanks.
2) Having consulted the tome of rules I bow down to your mighty wisdom.
3) I see no reason i should not be the case either... super

Thank Mightygnoblar

stripsteak
31-12-2008, 00:58
1) In relation to 'hunter in the dark' and 'armour of night' would you consider a vamp with 'flying horror' to be on foot (they can choose to use their ground movement)?

if you are looking for some word ammo

Flight is never used to determine what category a unit falls under. PG 7 lists the categories, and characters "can fight on foot as infantry, on a steed like cavalry, or ride in a chariot or on a monster." so even if the character can fly he will still 'fight on foot' since he can only fly during the movement phase anyway.

Neckutter
31-12-2008, 10:16
vampires can take ANY magic items up to their points allowance. it doesnt matter that they cant have mundane lances. if you check the VC rulebook under magic items it says "any, up to X points"

kind of weird way to word it, but yeah.

Lord Zarkov
31-12-2008, 22:31
However if they didn't have the disclaimer in the Magic Armour section then armour would still be banned. The 'any' is still subject to the normal rules (and is pretty standard, i.e. HE mages still say 'any' and they can't take magic armour as they can't have mundane armour).

But yes, the 'must have the mundane option' only applies to the magic armour section and the VC army book specifically allows vampires to take magic armour and shields.

Jack Spratt
01-01-2009, 13:17
Thanks guys :)

Neckutter
02-01-2009, 02:25
However if they didn't have the disclaimer in the Magic Armour section then armour would still be banned. The 'any' is still subject to the normal rules (and is pretty standard, i.e. HE mages still say 'any' and they can't take magic armour as they can't have mundane armour).

But yes, the 'must have the mundane option' only applies to the magic armour section and the VC army book specifically allows vampires to take magic armour and shields.

but they do have the disclaimer, so they can take anything they want.

does HE say that they can have "ANY magic items up to ... X points value"?
doesnt army-book trump brb? :P

my lord archmage is also my bsb!

WLBjork
02-01-2009, 05:01
I could just as easily claim "any" to mean from "any book" :p

Unless a specific exception is given (such as the one in the VC book for Armour), normal exceptions always apply.

Lord Zarkov
02-01-2009, 14:36
but they do have the disclaimer, so they can take anything they want.

does HE say that they can have "ANY magic items up to ... X points value"?
doesnt army-book trump brb? :P

my lord archmage is also my bsb!

IIRC The HE book does say 'Any magic items ...', but it's not a direct contradiction and so still subject to the normal rules: i.e. no banners unless you're a BSB and no magic armour unless you can take the mundane equivalent.

Vampires have an exemption on the normal rules for taking magic armour as per the VC army book, but if they didn't they wouldn't be able to have any, just like they can't have a magic standard unless they're the BSB.

Besides there isn't an 'ANY...' in the VC book anyway. It says

Magic Items:
Common/Vampire Counts up to Xpts.

in all cases for generic characters.

Search
02-01-2009, 15:50
You are initially correct on your question number 3.

This would restore 2 models worth when the invocation in cast and the corpse cart is in the 6" range but vampire units only ever regain 1 wound.

So for all other units (without the vampire special rule) it restores an additional wound.
For vampire units it has no effect.

Search