PDA

View Full Version : WoC troll build viable?

Luna
31-12-2008, 10:40
My Chaos army died when I couldn't use my mounted daemonettes or my beastmen, but with the new book I'm thinking about coming back into the fold.

Is there a good build with trolls as core? Would something like this work:

The troll king
Exalted sorcerer
Sorcerer

4 units of trolls
3 units of warhounds (for flank protection/charges)
2 units of dragon ogres
hellcannon
giant

I haven't counted the points but I wish to build a 2250 army.

The important thing is not the exact list, but rather whether a monstrous list would work with the new WoC.

bork da basher
31-12-2008, 10:56
ive not seen them perform on the table but i think they will only ever be 50/50 sort of army. trolls especially are a liability and although i love them i think several units of them is asking for trouble. what you've chosen looks fine and fun to play with but id proberly leave the hellcannon behind in favour of another giant.

also by exalted sorcerer do you mean sorcerer lord?

it'll be fun to play and look great but whether it'll be a consistant winner im dubious. i am tempted myself i love the idea of an idea of an army of monsters

Wulfrik
31-12-2008, 13:17
I've seen it played three times, twice against me. The first game against me my opponent scored a victory only due to a well-timed Insane Courage roll on the re-roll. The second game it was a massacre in my favor. The other game I witnessed he won in a more conventional way. So the jury's still out on that one. I think if you're either very good, or very lucky, it will work well, and the rest of the time it will be a coin toss. However, that being said, it'd still just be a fun an different type of army to build and play!

Luna
31-12-2008, 13:18
Yes, I meant sorcerer lord. Too much of the previous book in my head to change the name...

You are probably right about the hellcannon though. A giant is probably better. Or maybe a Shaggoth to get more variety.

MarcoPollo
31-12-2008, 22:04
I think you will need a big block of marauders because you have no static CR. Plus you are still dealing with stupidity on many of your units. Albeit the ld is better, there can be a problem when the trolls get pulled in different directions due to winning/loosing combat.

I think that if you wanted to use the build, you should not have more than 2 units with the troll king leading one and the other close by. The only time a really consider trolls to be useful is to character snipe with the vomit anyways.

At least the troll king is good points value.

Marshal Torrick
01-01-2009, 00:18
Sounds an awful lot like an OK army to me.

Luna
01-01-2009, 09:43
Anyone have an idea of how a monster heavy WoC list would look like?

I can agree that maybe two blocks of trolls is probably better. Maybe one should add Prince Sigvald as the general. Ld 10 and stupidity seems to match the army quite well.

He could take a unit of trolls and move them through some bad terrain. Too bad he is only movement 4.

Deacon Bane
01-01-2009, 15:48
I have been tinkering with a list that will use a 10 Ogre unit as its center piece, 3x units of 4 Trolls, Troll King in the center unit, behind Ogres. 3 Units of Hounds to shield. then Dr.Ogres and Giants to round out the list. A Scroll caddy and possibly a BSB with BOG.

bored1
01-01-2009, 17:42
I'd go:

Valkia
Throgg
Caddy
(maybe another caddy if points allow)

3 x horseman
3 x warhounds
3 x 4 or 4 x 3 trolls

2 x chaos knights

A bag of hammers.

Chicago Slim
02-01-2009, 04:04
I've been giving it some thought, myself-- trolls are durable, thanks to regeneration, and they're aren't that expensive... My thinking is to run 3 units of trolls, with Throgg in the center one and the other two nearby (one left of Throgg, the other right of Throgg). That triad anchors one flank.

The other flank could have three more units of trolls, each led by a mounted character (to they're testing for Stupidity on those characters' leadership)-- probably all three are Sorcerers.

Just like any "big-guys infantry" list (Ogre Kingdoms, Beasts-as-Minotaurs) it'd depend on getting flanks with US5+ units, and even then it'd need some decent rolls to earn CR by killing.

Cypher, the Emperor
03-01-2009, 03:21
No offense, but if your not even going to include a little bit of human WoC, you might as well play Ogres.

I think its not a viable list on its own, but I think it could do well if supported by some additional units (marauders, warshrines, Chogres).

It would probably be a good escalation list (low amount of models, high power level).

gunners
03-01-2009, 13:35
According to Tonyflow and his schratch building of Throg and a army of trolls(http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169431) this is a highly doable list Although i believe i fields shaggots as well..
Can't wait to try my army agaisnt it, I think this list might have its difficulties against almost every singel army.. To few units and the ones you would have is to easily delayed or killed on the way across the map.

Defender of Ulthuan
03-01-2009, 16:38
Trolls! YES!!!

Of course the army is at least OK; its like Ogres, only they have better saves, can stand up to highly armored troops (vomit), can be more hilarious, get random bonuses, and have the support of cavalry (both fast and heavy, both of which are extremely useful). Just be sure to keep Throgg in the middle of the lot and send 'em off! Take another hero too, as your general (Champ+GW+CoEC+BCR makes for a lovely troll; a sorcerer or two work just as well, though) so that Ld8 is spread army-wide.

The only real problem with this army is that you will be heckled by people who just can't put up to the challenge. Make sure you have good magic defense.

I do think, however, that there are two reasons to play an army like this.

1.You like trolls/monsters and want a cool shock-army to match.
2.You don't want to take core choices; Marauder Horsemen are usually my only core choices.

Do what YOU like, please!
Defender

SevenSins
03-01-2009, 17:53
Defender is on to something.
I was planning on using Throgg and 1-3 Troll units; main reasons are Throgg is cheapish and he lets you have Trolls some way from your general whithout going totally stupid. I'd still use "mortal" core choices of course (marauder horsemen among others) but this frees up the special choices.
Trolls as core=okay as special, not so much (there are better choices like knights and chariots)...

Luna
04-01-2009, 08:33
Having 2-3 units of trolls with Throgg seems like a very nice flank holder.

Maybe that's enough trolls for one army.

Jericho
04-01-2009, 11:15
I really like the idea of taking Valkia in Throgg's army. She's fast, deadly, and allows you to re-roll on the chart when your Trolls regenerate enough to earn Favor. That can be quite handy, especially if Throgg ever gets +1Ld :D

I think this army will perform similar to Orcs who really suffer more than they benefit from Animosity. When you roll well, you'll do just fine. As soon as you fail an important Stupidity test, you'll be asking yourself why you bothered to spend hours of your time and hundreds of dollars on such an unreliable army.

Generally speaking I'd like this army variant more if the prospect of modeling it wasn't so daunting. No Throgg model, and personally I despise the Chaos Troll, Chaos Ogre, and Dragon Ogre figures. None of them even compare to the other sculpts in Fantasy right now. The Dragon Ogres are the least offensive of the bunch, but they still stand out as being 5th edition models... unless they're actually older. I didn't play 4th :D