PDA

View Full Version : Need Latin Translation

hellbrecht
28-11-2005, 03:22
I need a bit of help with a banner for the 2nd Company Command Squad of the Warseer Chapter. I don't know a word of latin & need someone to translate the following for me.

"Our faith lights the way"

I'm sure in the collective wisdom of the forum I can find help.
Pretty Please!

Toppan
28-11-2005, 05:22
google a latin translator

DantesInferno
28-11-2005, 05:25
(Noster) Fides iter/viam illuminat/illustrat

I'm pretty sure these work - the "our" (noster) is optional, and pick one of the two variations for "way" and "lights". And internet latin translators often don't work, the words' endings often change with the meaning in Latin.

hellbrecht
28-11-2005, 05:43
Thanks a lot guys.

I did google a translator but it couldn't find words for our,the or way so I turned the Almighty Warseer for help.

Again thanks a lot.

DantesInferno
28-11-2005, 05:52
Could you explain the cases of your translation, Nurglich? Why the genitive for viarum and so on - I can't follow how yours works.

Philip S
28-11-2005, 16:54
High Gothic isn’t pure Latin, it’s anglicized Latin; Latin words mucked about with and put in English order. If you are using pure Latin for High Gothic it is wrong! ;)

‘Our faith lights the way’

Using a latin translator usually does a decent hatchet job on Latin and yields;
Nostrum fides lux lucis via

Running that back through the same translator the other way yields;
Our assurance light road

Close enough, but fides sounds wrong (not rule of cool), and doesn’t give any indication of ‘faith’, in these case use faith with a ‘e’ stuck on the end;

Nostrum faithe lux lucis via

Probably make any Latin aficionados grind their teeth is disgust, which is a sure sigh it is correct high gothic :D

Philip

PS: The Inquisitors seem to use a version of high German.

Venerable Player
28-11-2005, 17:27
And yes, you can leave out the "nostrum". It would also shorten the sentence and bring it down to three words (three being a magical number).

VP

BaronDG
29-11-2005, 04:01
Fides lux itineris. Short and to the point.

Damage,Inc.
29-11-2005, 13:18
If I may be so humble as to ask our latin speaking friends how to write "death from above"? I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

Inquisitor Samos
29-11-2005, 13:27
If I may be so humble as to ask our latin speaking friends how to write "death from above"? I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.Mors superne.

A potentially useful link: The University of Notre Dame "Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid" Page (http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm)

A bit tricky to use, but it's a good starting point compared to most automated online translators...... you'll still have to dig for things like proper conjugation and declension, but so it goes....... ;)

On the subject of the earlier "Faith lights the way," I'm thinking Fides viam inluminet would be closer to the "proper" Latin for the motto (though admittedly I'm not an expert); "Fides viam illuminat" would also work for High Gothic "sorta-Latin." ;)

TheSaint
01-12-2005, 16:28
Mortis ad aedem

Sounds cool to me. Might not be correct, but then neither is High Gothic.