PDA

View Full Version : Which of these items takes priority?

Coram_Boy
02-01-2009, 19:05
The Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer reads as its description: this weapon always strikes with the strength to wound on a 2+ on all targets toughness 5 or greater. This strength is also used to modify armor saves.(this isnt the exact wording but it is the correct ruling)

However, the Master Rune of Steel reads that All attacks which are Strength 6 or above count as Strength 5.

Which of these would take priority ruling if a model with the MRoSB attacks a model with the MRoS and Toughness 5?

wormyguy
02-01-2009, 19:15
For future reference, there is a separate forum for rules questions. (http://warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14) As for the question, I think the crucial words are "strikes with" and "counts as." The model with the Skalf Blackhammer rune still strikes with the strength that would wound the model with the Master Rune of Steel, but those attacks then count as strength 5. The Master Rune of Steel takes priority.

SuperArchMegalon
02-01-2009, 19:39
Well, there are two options:

A) The attacking player swings at S7, because that's what his weapon rune says; next, the defending player's armor modifies the blow to S5.

B) Dice off each round of combat

I think A is the best decision. Thankfully this sort of thing is mercifully rare, and is unlikely to ever happen in a game.

Coram_Boy
02-01-2009, 19:57
thanks: I am playing dwarfs vs dwarfs in a couple weeks, which is why I was asking, and boooy thats going to be a slow game.

nosferatu1001
02-01-2009, 22:30
I seem to remember that, when magic items conflict, the one which is applied later in the sequence is considered to take precedence.

In this case, option A) makes the most sense - the strength is modded to 7, however it is then dropped to 5 as soon as the weapon touches the armour.

Lord Dan
03-01-2009, 02:58
I'm with nosferatu here. This is how I see the order:

-Attacker's strength is modified to 7 because he is attacking a model with T5 or higher.
-His strength is then modified to 5, due to the effect of the armor.

You can therefore skip the first step for convenience sake and strike at S5.

DeathlessDraich
03-01-2009, 10:34
For future reference, there is a separate forum for rules questions. (http://warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14) As for the question, I think the crucial words are "strikes with" and "counts as." The model with the Skalf Blackhammer rune still strikes with the strength that would wound the model with the Master Rune of Steel, but those attacks then count as strength 5. The Master Rune of Steel takes priority.

That omits the latter half of the Skalf rules. "This strength is also used to modify etc "

I'm with nosferatu here. This is how I see the order:

-Attacker's strength is modified to 7 because he is attacking a model with T5 or higher.
-His strength is then modified to 5, due to the effect of the armor.

You can therefore skip the first step for convenience sake and strike at S5.

No direct rules support for this and again it ignores the second part of Skalf rules. - "This strength is also used to modify etc "

The Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer reads as its description: this weapon always strikes with the strength to wound on a 2+ on all targets toughness 5 or greater. This strength is also used to modify armor saves.(this isnt the exact wording but it is the correct ruling)

However, the Master Rune of Steel reads that All attacks which are Strength 6 or above count as Strength 5.

Which of these would take priority ruling if a model with the MRoSB attacks a model with the MRoS and Toughness 5?

Neither can take priority since they are both magic items.

Therefore a dice- off is the best solution I can think of.