PDA

View Full Version : Black Rage, Fallen and the Deathwatch

Curufew
04-01-2009, 12:42
I was wondering what if a Blood Angel during his course of service in the Deathwatch, fell under the influence of the black rage or even worse, the red thirst. From what I know, the Deathwatch are made up of Marines from different chapters that serve a temporary term with the organization. The chances that a Blood Angel Chaplain or any chaplains from the successor (BA's) chapters serving the term together in the same squad is well...pretty low. So how will his fellow Deathwatch mates treat him?

A second what if question.
An Inner circle Marine from the Dark Angel chapter serving in the deathwatch came across the tracks of a Fallen. What will he do ? And what will happen if he calls in the rest of his chapter, how will the chapter deal with the rest of the Deathwatch Marines that happened to be in the same squad the inner circle Deathwatch marine is serving in.

*Note this is just a general discussion with no strong evidence in the fluff that the events above took place before. So just come up with a best explanation to the scenarios

Maidel
04-01-2009, 12:46
I was wondering what if a Blood Angel during his course of service in the Deathwatch, fell under the influence of the black rage or even worse, the red thirst.

I would go down the route of the blood angels would screen him within an inch of his life and check for even the smallest sign he was going to go down that route and if they even thought it possible, they wouldnt let him go.

An Inner circle Marine from the Dark Angel chapter serving in the deathwatch came across the tracks of a Fallen.

He would drop everything and go after him.

The entire chapter has done this, one man doing it isnt surprising.

What will he do ? And what will happen if he calls in the rest of his chapter, how will the chapter deal with the rest of the Deathwatch Marines that happened to be in the same squad the inner circle Deathwatch marine is serving in.

Honestly - if they were in the way or possibly knew something - i really think that they would all dissappear.

Surgency
04-01-2009, 15:01
An Inner circle Marine from the Dark Angel chapter serving in the deathwatch came across the tracks of a Fallen. What will he do ? And what will happen if he calls in the rest of his chapter, how will the chapter deal with the rest of the Deathwatch Marines that happened to be in the same squad the inner circle Deathwatch marine is serving in.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=109

Info about how the Deathwatch works :p

That assumes that the DA have an agreement with the Ordo Xenos to provide Deathwatch members. I'd lean more towards them not being involved with that particular organization, given the older fluff of the DA not really working with other chapters and organizations unless they needed to. That being said, there are relatively few Inner Circle members, even the majority of the Deathwing only know a little of the truth that the IC knows. Only the most senior and experienced members of the DA are Inner Circle, and they are, IMO, not very likely to get "drafted" to a Deathwatch team, because of their position within the chapter.

Lord Damocles
04-01-2009, 17:14
I was wondering what if a Blood Angel during his course of service in the Deathwatch, fell under the influence of the black rage or even worse, the red thirst. From what I know, the Deathwatch are made up of Marines from different chapters that serve a temporary term with the organization. The chances that a Blood Angel Chaplain or any chaplains from the successor (BA's) chapters serving the term together in the same squad is well...pretty low. So how will his fellow Deathwatch mates treat him?
Depends on which fluff you believe in most.

Some newer Deathwatch fluff has kill-teams made up of members of a single chapter (Mortifactors and Lamenters spring to mind). If this was the case then it doesn't pose such a huge problem. If you hold with the fluff which has multi-chapter kill-teams (which is much more interesting IMO) then you have a problem.

I'd go with the Blood Angel seperating himself from the team before the rage took hold (they are usually aware of when it's happening to them - ref: Tycho at Tempestora) or volunteering for the first suicide mission to come up.
That or the chapter just wouldn't send marines to serve with teams which weren't from them or their successors.

Avaron
04-01-2009, 20:17
the old statement about deathwatch marines had it that they where chosen from the most diciplined members of the chapter the ones who tended to act more like a basic codex marine than those of there chapter.

that was the excuse given for why BA deathwatch didnt have furious charge and space wolves didnt have acute senses and true grit and why DA never went running off to hunt someone.

I think its a fair way to look at it, these marines are going to be representing the chapter to the inquisition you only send the ones you think the inquisitors will like.

"johnson is a great soldier I can think of a man I would rather have beside me, but he is a foul mouthed jerk who has little regard for rank, thats why when the commander needed a bodyguard I chose o'mally good level headed man"

Luke.13
04-01-2009, 23:35

IIRC chapters donw have to send thier marines to the deatchwatch... so maybe the BAs dont ( dont want the Inq. to know of the bad gene-seed) , or as another person said, the chapter might screen the marines before they are sent

i find it doubtful that a vetren DA would serve in the deathwatch, to become a part of the inner circle he as probably been in centuries of war, and the chapter wouldnt let him walk away to fight for the inquisition when he could lead a company or something ......and IIRC the DA dont often trust the INQ. (for reasons regarding teh fallen) so i dont think they often lend marines to the inquisition....

hypothetically if the DA did lend a member of the inner circle to the DW and the DW squad came across a fallen angel, the DA would rush the ravenwing in capture the fallen, pick up thier marine and proceed to kill the rest of the DW squad, after all we do know that the DA have no problems killing fellow marines to keep their secret (when DAs killed BTs during i think it was the ramulus crusade , i try finding the correct name)

AdmiralDick
05-01-2009, 14:12

if it really came down to that kind of situation i have no doubt that his team mates would treat him like any other marine that snapped in the heat of battle and jeopardised the mission: the Kill Team leader would be forced to execute him on the spot. the mission is vastly more important than the individuals and they could not let someone going schizo ruin the work that has gone into preparing this mission and the possible repercussions of failure.

but as others have stated, the chances of such a thing happening would be extremely low.

one would have to wonder what an Inner Circle member were doing in a Death Watch Kill Team? surely some lesser individual could take his place?

that aside, assuming that a member of the DAs who was in the know found some evidence of a Fallen, its quite probable that he too would ruin the mission. the problem is that he wouldn't want to upset the Ordo Xenos (that would be a seriously bad move), so he might well try and find a way to pervert the mission so that it ends up going after the Fallen rather than the real target.