PDA

View Full Version : 10 man assault squads or five man assault squads?

Rutteger1
05-01-2009, 00:09
Well, I have 2 boxes of Assault Marines, and I wanted to do a cool commander with two power fists using one of the assault marine pointing power fists, but what if I want to give it to the seargent? Should I make it a 10 man assault squad? Or is there a better configuration for a seargent?

BLARGAG!!!
05-01-2009, 00:53
there is defiantly a better way to configure your sarge. give him a power weapon and plasma pistol.

i have found that 10 men assault squads tend to be a bit overkill, and that 5 men tend to die to easily. (i know this is going to sound weird, but it works, trust me) a 7 or 8 man assault squad seems to work perfectly. it can take a few casualties and still packs quite a punch when it hits.

hope that helps
BLARGAG!!!

Rutteger1
05-01-2009, 01:29
but i dont have any extra models... I think i will go with two five man, and i will counts as the seargent as a normal assault marine incase i want ten.

WorLord
05-01-2009, 01:50
Best squad size depends on the opponents you expect to face most often. Against armies good in CC, I'd go with a larger squad and try to wipe out one enemy squad before more enemies join in the combat. Against more shooty armies, since you can no longer consolidate into CC I'd go for 2 5-man squads to tie up as many shooting units as possible and use the melees to block off LOS to the rest of your army.

Koryphaus
05-01-2009, 01:53
I run a 10 man squad with a flamer and power weapon. This can then be combat squad'd to make two

Shangrila
05-01-2009, 01:55
Ide run a 10 man squad. do combat squads if your fond of 5 man squads.

A 10 man squad with 3 plasma pistols is very effective.(personally i prefer the SGT with PW/PP and 2 flamers)

Also on the powerfist topic, Relic blade and meltabombs do the same job if not better.

ehlijen
05-01-2009, 01:55
Go for 10 man squads: Combat squads means you can still split into 5 man squads if it helps in any given game, while you can never join to seperate 5 man squads into one big one.

If you were prepared to pay for a powerfist on your sarge, consider twin lightning claws instead. Otherwise power sword or power fist are good options, depending on what you want to hunt.

==Me==
05-01-2009, 02:31
10 men is probably the best bet, since you can always combat squad to get 2 squads of 5.

Powerfist or Thunder Hammer is usually a solid pick, S8 is huge against ICs and MCs, since your boys can usually handle regular infantry.

0ldsk00l
05-01-2009, 04:22
with the new cost adjustment of assault squads, go the full 10. its still very affordable, and can take hits and still be a major threat. Additionally, you CAN Csquad them down if needed (I never would, but there may be cases where it makes sense).

As for the sarge, I always put a fist on him. The squad is more than capable of generating a ton of wounds against basic infantry. the fist is there to keep the squad effective/dangerous to the occasional bignasty that comes along.

imweasel
05-01-2009, 04:29
Just be careful not to shoot to much vs marines on the way in and you should do just fine, regardless of size.

Shangrila
05-01-2009, 04:43
Weasels right, the last thing you want is to resolve the combat in your turn.

mughi3
05-01-2009, 05:43
The way combat works now is well advised, although i am still going to stress the need for a PF. your unit needs to be able to deal with everything. being able to do a little of everything is what marines are good at.

What happens if you tangle with a wraithlord?
S4 isn't even going to have a chance.

dreads? krak grenades needing 6+ and then 6+ again to only glance?(and if it is ironclad your straight SOL ) no thank you. thats one good way to loose a unit. i've dished this out against tau crisis and stealth suits, once i catch them they are as good as dead no matter what.

I had a tac squad tangle with some wraithguard in CC and the only one in the squad effectively killing them was the fist.

Steel Angel
05-01-2009, 06:33
I'd say a 10 man assault squad
like everyone else said, you can split it up if you don't need 10
and with a 10 person squad, you can take many casualties but still do pretty well as you had 10 not 5

Also, keep in mind that while you are trying to get in close, the enemy is still shooting at you so you will probably lose some on the way to close combat.

bobafett012
05-01-2009, 07:04
yeah you want to pretty much always go with 10 as 5 will get shot up too badly before even getting into combat plus you can always combat squad em if needed, and a regular 10 man assault squad(not VAS, DC, blood claws, etc etc) will wipe almost no units in 40k in 1 single round, it almost always takes 2, they may break in first round but very few massacres.

senorcardgage
05-01-2009, 15:37
I much prefer 10 man squads. You will invariably lose a few on their way and you need them to still be able to pack a punch by the time they get there!

Laser guided fanatic
05-01-2009, 15:45
In my 2000pt space marines i run a 10 man assault squad with 2x flamers sarge with power fist and attached chappy its a good all round unit and litanies of hate is just a god

pringles978
05-01-2009, 16:10
10 with fist or hammer, 2 flamers to thin out bigger units before you charge. and two powerfists on a marine is a bad idea. relic blade and meltabombs as mentioned before does the same job

Balance-keeper
05-01-2009, 21:23
i have found that 10 men assault squads tend to be a bit overkill,

Well its better to over kill than underkill...
i say 10 man assault over 5 man

Rutteger1
06-01-2009, 00:48
btw pringles, i wasnt putting two pow fists on one marine.