PDA

View Full Version : Stat Cards for 40k

gamer5
05-01-2009, 06:59
I'm wanting to make up some stat cards for my 40k units.
I also play warmachine and the stat cards have proven to be a more efficient reference than army lists.
Does anybody know of a generic stat card maker or program that could do what I'm looking for here?

Excel would probably work, but I haven't the know how just yet and would prefer searching for an easier method before I jump into that.

thank you

vardald
05-01-2009, 10:49
I did one of those up for a tactical squad a while ago. I used adobe photoshop elements to make it, and included pictures off the internet, statlines and weapon options and stats, however left off any points costs, as if people could get cards with all the information, what is the point of the books? If i could be bothered 'd do one for each unit as it would be convenient to have all the stats you need on a card rather than referring back to the book all the time.

IJW
05-01-2009, 11:08
Out of curiosity, what's the objection to using the statline and weapon references in the back of the relevant codex?

bosstroll
05-01-2009, 11:26
Out of curiosity, what's the objection to using the statline and weapon references in the back of the relevant codex?

Beacuse GW's summaries suck donkey balls ?

vardald
05-01-2009, 12:13
I just thought the cards would be cool, but they are quite a bit of work

Bunnahabhain
05-01-2009, 13:02
How about the reference sheets on the GW website?

EDIT:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat410004&categoryId=1000019&aId=3400013

copy paste them, and customise , fix typos etc as you wish.

NealSmith
05-01-2009, 14:31
I have done cards and they are very handy. Having to deal just with some 3x5 pieces of card is a lot easier then a couple pages of 8.5x11 paper. At least for me anyway... :)

After the various games over the Holiday Break, I think I'm going to redo my format and end up with a slightly bigger card with more information and detail on it.

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-01-2009, 16:42

It doesn't actually give you the special rules for anything, where as you can add it on the card.

Charax
05-01-2009, 18:50
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

You'll have to figure out how to make your own graphics for it, as it's designed for (surprise, surprise) Magic: The Gathering, but I've seen it used to make pretty decent Dark Heresy equipment cards and I'm using it to make Wargear cards for Inquisitor, so if you can squeeze all the rules and stats you need in there, give it a go (and post any templates you make, as long as they don't contain any stats or GW artwork)

gamer5
05-01-2009, 19:40
Photoshop was the first thing I'd want to use, but I don't have photoshop yet so that's off the list.

@charax- it's funny, right before i posted this I was tinkering with magic set editor to try and make it work. I haven't tried to create my own content for it yet though, i was trying to find a template that'd allow me to put stats in and what not but to no avail.

Basically I want to make the stat cards because, after 9 years of warhammer and 40k, and 8 years of warmachine, I can confidently tell you that the cards warmachine uses are a much easier and quicker reference.

if I can't figure the magic set editor out, I'll probably just fall back to paint... simple yet effective though the picture quality won't be amazing.

thanks for the replies, and any more suggestions welcome

NealSmith
05-01-2009, 19:52
I used Keynote (Apple version of Powerpoint) for my cards.

Here is a link to the attachment I made to another discussion about this topic: http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49155&d=1228870494

nightgant98c
06-01-2009, 02:04
When I forst started playing 40k, we all used 3x5 cards. We wrote them out by hand, and it worked out well.