PDA

View Full Version : HE -2 Dragons army

Highlander
06-01-2009, 12:52
Any one have ever tried a 2 dragon armies ? one star Dragon with prince and another with dragon mage of caledor ? Iīve been thikning of 2000 or 2.220 army.

How as it ?

And who never played yet, what do you think about, is there any chance to be competitive ?

Thank you

Bac5665
06-01-2009, 14:31
Never, ever, EVER take that list. You will lose all you friends, and never play a non-tourney game again. Its is plenty competitive, though it may or may not be the best possible HE list. The problem with the list is that playing against it does not resemble warhammer in any real way. Pin the cannon on the dragon is not a fun game. I have never enjoyed a game played against a dragon (save one, along time ago, and that person was fairly incompetent at the time.) One dragon is too many in a 2000 point game. Two is obscene.

Coram_Boy
06-01-2009, 14:36
still, dragon mage is pretty hopeless. the best you can hope for is that he dies and the dragon goes on a rampage.

Harwammer
06-01-2009, 14:54
Take a prince on dragon supported by the regiment of renown elf on dragon. You may notice the DoW dragon doesn't have scaly skin, but this is an error and the entry has been updated by FAQ in white dwarf.

His FAQ are as following:
Dragon has 3+ scaly skin. Asarnil is 130 VP, the dragon is 330 VP (US WD 258, page 41)

Dooks Dizzo
06-01-2009, 16:59
2 Dragon list is powerful but managable. I would play it no problem.

Just hope you never have an opponent with 'The Beast Cowers' :)

For my army I would try to engage your wizard rider first with my own dragon, hold them in place for a round and then hit you with a fast mover and take you out with Combat resolution if nothing else. (outnumber + banner + whatever wounds)

The Star Dragon truly is a monster and the Prince on his back can be a pain to kill (Vanbraces of defense and all) but you deal with it like anything else.

Blueskies
07-01-2009, 08:44
The dragon mage is a waste of points unless you plan to make a magic offensive and so lord on dragon + dragon mage usually are counter productive.

The lord on star dragon is usually a good investmentm if you want the lord to be safe then vambraces and armour of caledor is pretty tough to get through, and if you take on alot of greater daemons then vambraces and golden shield, if you do plan to charge ranked up units, especially daemon ranked up units, then blade of leaping gold and talisman of loec do well together, everyone seems to underestimate what 7 str 4 attacks will do when you reroll misses and wounds and they reroll armours and wards and regen.

I usually take lord on dragon, bsb on foot near all my rank and file, and a lvl 1 scroll caddy hidden away in a unit.

If I take a dragon mage I usually take a lvl 3 and a lvl 1 mage as well give silver wand and ring of fury to your dragon mage, a jewel of dusk for the lvl 1 mage and seerstaff for the lvl 3 with a banner of sorcery somewhere, let you you cast 3 fire spells at 2 dice each, lvl 1 spell usually fireball on 2 dice, ring of fury, followed by 4-6 dice to cast your 3 spells that you got to choose, if you really want the 2 extra power dice you can make them a lvl 4 and lvl 2 mage but its usually not worth it.

Neckutter
07-01-2009, 09:42
i played against it once, and it wasnt too spectacular. i thought i would get pwned pretty hardcore, but the dragonmage is SUPER weak when he isnt backed up with other mages. he never gets his spells off, and his dragons' breath is laughable. the lord on dragon was pretty cool, and did some damage though. he was jumping around(running from my cairn wraiths) breathing and march blocking me.

it took my vamp lord only a turn to kill the lord(2+ rerollable armor, 4+ ward), but in turn his dragon ate my vamp lord(4+ ward ONLY). i reformed during my movement, and then spammed vanhels on my unit(GGuard with hatered banner, my lord with sword of striking) until i charged him.

Lucky24/7
07-01-2009, 10:27
You dont take a dragon mage for the mage .... you take it for the dragon ..... 2 dragons is pretty harcore (over kill im my eyes though) Its a good list but your better off with a BSB and a scroll caddy with a lord on a star dragon ....but this is purley from a tournament point of view ... and your wont make many freinds with this lise :D

Love Lucky

NecronBob
07-01-2009, 11:06
I've played a two dragon list with a dragon mage and an archmage on a dragon. I basically found out that unless you're using a prince on a star dragon, dragons really aren't worth their points.

My experience tells me that a single prince on a star dragon list with the other 1400 or so points used to support him would be a much tougher list than a two dragon list, but your mileage may vary.

Lord Khabal
07-01-2009, 12:22
dragonmage sucks. period.

Necromancer2
07-01-2009, 12:25
So a Archmage on Dragon isn't worth it?

Rodman49
07-01-2009, 12:27
Yeah, I'm not so sure about a two dragon list. One Dragonmage or one Lord on Dragon seem to benefit from the other character slots being used to support them.

Marwynn
07-01-2009, 14:09
An Archmage L4 and a Dragon Mage make for a decent magic list, but going for a Star Dragon and a DM is bad news. For you.

The SD Prince is enough, back him up with two L2s and you'll still have enough points for more support units for the Prince.

Alternatively, a Dual Dragon Mage list is kinda fun.

Slayerthane
07-01-2009, 14:16
The only time i would ever field a two dragon list is if I was doing a themed army such as Caledor High Elves. I like playing armies with themes, but even then I wouldn't play it in games under 3K points. I don't enjoy playing dragons in a 2K list, they're too overpowered and I prefer playing with and against balanced lists where some real strategy is required.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-01-2009, 14:22
dragonmage sucks. period.

I completely disagree. Dragon Mages are very useful so long as you arent fighting a gun line and are able to use them.

A two dragon army would be fun to play i think. It would be fun but not overpowered i think. There are many ways to hold up / kill such things. Some armies might have a tough time dealing with it but that goes for anything really. I wouldnt play with it all the time though it may still make you enemies / have your opponents whining. ;)

PeG
07-01-2009, 14:54
I have seen it a few times and I think two dragons means to many points in one trick. Either you go up against an army that can deal with them due to having cannons or other high range, high damage shooty stuff or magic and then you lose or at least you cant use your army in an efficient way or you go up against an army that cant deal with them and then you win or at least force your opponent to hide somewhere. Either way it makes a boring game and I dont think it is going to be a competitive list unless you spend all the rest of your points on magic and shooting (to counter the enemy magic and shooting that will otherwise take down your dragons)

Highlander
07-01-2009, 15:05
People, thank you all for answers, thatīs give me a lot of ideias.

Just to give you more information, my setup dragon is

Prince on star dragon - armour of caledor, vambraces of defence, amulet of light and halberd

Dragon mage - silver wand and ring of fury.

Now, i was thing what should be a good support for this army.

Well, i like too much swordmaster of hoeth, but one troop alone wouldnt make any miracle, so, the point is, how to complete this setup

Lord Dan
07-01-2009, 15:49
I would really give your Prince a lance. If you're not breaking things on the charge you shouldn't be charging them.

isidril93
07-01-2009, 19:04
anyone ever thought of using an acrmage on moon dragon and a dragon mage?

Lord Dan
07-01-2009, 19:25
No one who desires a comp score that is also a positive number, no.

RossS
07-01-2009, 19:53
Take a prince on dragon supported by the regiment of renown elf on dragon. You may notice the DoW dragon doesn't have scaly skin, but this is an error and the entry has been updated by FAQ in white dwarf.

His FAQ are as following:
Dragon has 3+ scaly skin. Asarnil is 130 VP, the dragon is 330 VP (US WD 258, page 41)

Ah yes, I see you will be gunning for the coveted "Douchiest Player of the Year Award." Good luck with that. You'll find some stiff competition from a few other soulless and subhuman miscontents of this very thread.

Condottiere
07-01-2009, 21:02
anyone ever thought of using an acrmage on moon dragon and a dragon mage?

Isn't that exhibitionist tendency just asking to get shot first?

Harwammer
07-01-2009, 22:58
Ah yes, I see you will be gunning for the coveted "Douchiest Player of the Year Award." Good luck with that. You'll find some stiff competition from a few other soulless and subhuman miscontents of this very thread.

Lol! thanks for your input, very funny!

It also makes a very good example of why one might not want to play a double dragon list; adverse reaction from the opponent.