PDA

View Full Version : Handmaidens of Slaanesh

Lord Inquisitor
06-01-2009, 15:29
So I'm looking towards the local rogue trader tournament and I want to get my list sorted. Here's the list I took last time:

Keeper of Secrets (635)
Spirit Swallower
Level 3 mage

The Masque (90)

Herald of Slaanesh (315)
Level 1 mage
Mount of Slaanesh
Battle Standard Bearer
Great Icon of Dispair
Siren
Allure of Slaanesh

Herald of Slaanesh (140)
Level 1 mage

15 Daemonettes (198)
Standard + Musician

14 Daemonettes (186)
Standard + Musician

10 Daemonettes (136)
Standard + Musician

5 Seekers of Slaanesh (138)
Standard + Musician

6 Seekers of Slaanesh (199)
Full Command
Siren Standard

7 Seekers of Slaanesh (211)
Standard + Musician
Siren Standard

Last tournament they did okay. They could tear any army not immune to psychology to pieces, the Masque is unbelievably potent, but I did lose against (predicably) Vampire Counts.

Things I learnt:
1) Spirit Swallower wasn't as hot as it looks on paper. She didn't draw as much fire as I had expected and I don't think I used the ability even once in three games - either she survived or was killed in one round.
2) Level 1 heralds really don't do much apart from add a dispel dice. 50 points wasted IMO.
3) Siren Standard is potentially amazing but usually pretty limited in use.
4) Siren itself was limited in use but astounding when it did work. Better off on the Keeper of course.
5) The Allure is cracking especially when combined with the Great Icon and the Masque.
6) I really, really need to make sure the Keeper doesn't get challenged out - perhaps I need more Champions in the list after all?

With these things in mind, here's my revised list:

Keeper of Secrets (650)
Allure of Slaanesh
Enrapturing Gaze
Siren Song
Torment Blade
Level 4 wizard

The Masque (90)

Herald of Slaanesh (245)
Allure of Slaanesh
Torment Blade
Mount of Slaanesh
Battle Standard Bearer
Great Icon of Dispair

Herald of Slaanesh (140)
Many Armed Monstrosity

15 Daemonettes (210)
Full Command

15 Daemonettes (210)
Full Command

10 Daemonettes (136)
Standard & Musician

5 Seekers of Slaanesh (138)
Standard & Musician

Full Command
Siren Standard

7 Seekers of Slaanesh (223)
Full Command
Siren Standard

Grand total: 2241

Comments? Any advice if facing other Daemons or Undead?

Lord Inquisitor
07-01-2009, 15:22
If you'll pardon the bump, I've been pondering over the last few days and the things I'm most scared of are Undead and other Daemons - and 90% of that is due to the generals. I was beaten by Undead and I think now I'd go about it by gunning all-out for the general - Mannfred is the one I see most often.

So with that in mind, perhaps I should:
- Drop "many armed" from the foot herald and give her another Allure + Siren combo.
- Drop the musician from the 10-daemonette unit and one champion from one of the 15-strong units and buy a Banner of Ecstasy for the other.

That way I can: force a Thirster or Vampire into charing my Herald's unit (hopefully holding with the Banner), then smash them with Seekers + Keeper into the flank. Against the thirster, the Keeper can challenge and hopefully with the masque and BSB I can prevent him from even attacking, while against undead I can try and assassinate the commander with the Keeper and if he tries to challenge with a champion meet it with a Herald. Sound like a plan?

Lord Khabal
07-01-2009, 15:27
Why lvl 4 wizard on keeper? your BSB should have sundering std...

==Me==
07-01-2009, 15:37
Beyond the Kipper you don't have anything to go after armor, an Etherblade on your Herald is useful against knights and such I find. High WS, ASF, 4 attacks, and ignoring armor is a potent combo for the usually soft Daemonettes.

Level 1 magic isn't just for dispel dice, the basic Slaanesh spell is amazing when combined with the Masque and Icon of Despair. Stupid on low Ld is crippling for deathstar style armies or VCs where you can isolated his Lord and take him out. It's not even RiP either. Plus, it will draw DD out so you can throw out phantasmagoria or slicing shards.

I'd also look into giving your smallest squad the Banner of Ecstasy, it gives you a solid anvil unit that Slaaneshi armies lack and can set you up for good flank charges.

I'm a big fan of Fiends too, they hit harder, last longer, and have the Musk. Dropping a unit of Seekers for a trio of them wouldn't hurt.

I'd also try and get the Daemonettes going 6 wide to make the most of your attacks. 12 point per model is not something I'm comfortable using for rank bonuses, I'd rather have more kills.

Your plan against VCs sounds good.

Lord Inquisitor
07-01-2009, 21:33
Why lvl 4 wizard on keeper? your BSB should have sundering std...
Level 4 because the spells are pretty good and she actually has a reasonably chance to cast the things, plus it increases the chances of getting the spells I want.

And as for Standard of Sundering, you really think so? I'm really torn between the two. If I go up against dwarfs or humans I REALLY want dispair. If I go up against daemons or undead, I probably want sundering. I think overall I can get more from dispair - remember that the enemy are going to be taking Ld tests to attack things like my Keeper.

Beyond the Kipper you don't have anything to go after armor, an Etherblade on your Herald is useful against knights and such I find. High WS, ASF, 4 attacks, and ignoring armor is a potent combo for the usually soft Daemonettes.
But that blows her daemonic gift allowance - really think that's worth it? I was running on the assumption that the Keeper can deal with heavy armour. Most of the time heavy cavalry is what you're looking at and I can bait or run circles around them.

Level 1 magic isn't just for dispel dice, the basic Slaanesh spell is amazing when combined with the Masque and Icon of Despair. Stupid on low Ld is crippling for deathstar style armies or VCs where you can isolated his Lord and take him out. It's not even RiP either. Plus, it will draw DD out so you can throw out phantasmagoria or slicing shards.
True, true. I agree. However, the level ones are limited to the first few spells in practice - most of them only have about a 50% chance of success and that's if I throw in one of the army dice - which drags dice away from the keeper. Throwing away the Herald's dice in the hopes of a 5+ Aquiescence doesn't seem like a great use of 50 points. Like I said, I felt that the points were somewhat wasted - and it makes my mounted herald a major victory point liability - 315 points for a model with T3, two wounds and only a 5+ save? Perhaps I should give the footslogger Herald her magic level back though. Thing is, that means dropping her daemonic gifts to pay for it. Worth it?

I'd also look into giving your smallest squad the Banner of Ecstasy, it gives you a solid anvil unit that Slaaneshi armies lack and can set you up for good flank charges.
Yeah, that was my thinking, but I thought it more useful to give to a unit that contains the Herald with Siren Song. I can't afford another Banner of Ecstasy without cutting something out!

I'm a big fan of Fiends too, they hit harder, last longer, and have the Musk. Dropping a unit of Seekers for a trio of them wouldn't hurt.
True indeed. Never been much of a fan of the models so I'll have to find an appropriate proxy. Hmm, I've some Spawn I could use possibly, or the Gamezone fiendish offspring and model them as daemonette heavy cavalry.

Right now, that list contains just about every daemon model I have. So fiends are out for the moment.

I'd also try and get the Daemonettes going 6 wide to make the most of your attacks. 12 point per model is not something I'm comfortable using for rank bonuses, I'd rather have more kills.
That makes some sense! Hmm. I'm currently constructing custom-made movement trays for them.

What would you say is the ideal number per unit? Should I drop them down to 12? Or just run with 15 and have two ranks of six and a half-rank? (Not a big fan of half-ranks, seem to get more skewered by bolt throwers for no rank bonus).

Overall, you have many valid points. The problem is, all of these things cost points. For example, if I plump for magic levels on the two heralds, that's 100 points which means losing out on daemonic gifts and unit upgrades. In each case (apart from the fiends, which I don't have models for) what would you drop to buy the things you suggest? I don't want to compromise on troops on the table (it's a small army as it is!), and this list has been driving me nuts as I can't quite fit in everything I want...

One other thing: I was thinking about trying to squeeze in Soul Hunger onto the Keeper. While I thought re-rolling failed to-wound rolls is somewhat wasted on a S6 monstrosity, it's only 25 points and it might actually be useful for two reasons 1) I always roll at least two ones when rolling to wound and 2) if I go up against anything like a Bloodthirster, Giant or, indeed, Vampire, it might prove more useful. So should I drop the Enrapturing Gaze or the Torment Blade? (I think it has to be the Enrapturing Gaze that goes, the Torment Blade is a must-have...)

==Me==
08-01-2009, 02:21
Gaze for Hunger could work, I've never seen much use on Gaze really, Ld6 isn't that much different from Ld5 anyway when the Icon and Mask are doing their thing.

I'd swap MaM for Etherblade, it really is that good. I'd also bump one unit of 'nettes up to 18 and drop another to 12. You can lose the command group on your smaller units, they really aren't worth it if you're light on points.

You can drop one unit of Seekers for 2 Fiends and after losing the command groups you should have enough for 1 level 1 mage.

Lord Inquisitor
12-01-2009, 03:33
Okay, so here's the revised list.

Keeper of Secrets (650)
Allure of Slaanesh
Soul Hunger
Siren Song
Torment Blade
Level 4 wizard

The Masque (90)

Herald of Slaanesh (245)
Allure of Slaanesh
Torment Blade
Mount of Slaanesh
Battle Standard Bearer
Great Icon of Dispair

Herald of Slaanesh (170)
Siren Song
Torment Blade
Level 1 wizard

14 Daemonettes (223)
Full Command
Banner of Ecstasy

15 Daemonettes (198)
Standard & Musician

10 Daemonettes (130)
Standard

5 Seekers of Slaanesh (132)
Standard

Full Command
Siren Standard

7 Seekers of Slaanesh (211)
Standard & Musician
Siren Standard

Grand total: 2248

I'm going to have to check the maths on this list again, but I've managed to squeeze in the Banner of Ecstasy and a magic level on the Herald. It's involved gutting the command groups for the units. Think I'll miss those champions and musicians?

I just can't get the Etherblade in without dropping that magic level. I've left the unit sizes the same (2 attacks aren't going to average 1 wound, so they're not worth losing +1 combat res for, surely?), but I might tweak them to 12 and 18 yet. I'll try to give the 10/12/18 setup a go in a practice game. I don't have any Fiend models, so they'll have to wait until I get these guys painted first!

moose
12-01-2009, 21:12
I play an all slaanesh list too, and here's my advice;

Apart from with the keeper, you'll struggle against any sort of knights. I agree you may need an etherblade somewhere, you could drop one of the seekers in the unit of seven and the banner of ecstasy.

I usually run a unit of two fiends, but I don't think you're missing out. You have the same number of attacks with seekers, with being more flexible as fast cav and with higher numbers.

How come your daemonette units are in sizes of 10/14/15 seems random. 2 ranks of 7 is better than 3 of 5 basically all the time, since you'll need the attacks to punch through with low strength - plus 1 shooting casualty will lose you the rank.

Mono-slaanesh lists are fun!