PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy a Gaming Table?

Ozeor
07-01-2009, 06:38
I work full time and barely have enough time for my girlfriend and sleep, Does anyone know where to find a 40k gaming table thats full done? In other words i don't need to paint or flock it etc?

I just want something that when me and my girlfriend have time, to put on a table and play.

Thanks!

Oh anyone from Ontario around here?

MrShhhsh
07-01-2009, 06:54
Are you looking for the battle realm table or something more simple like the battle matt? The matt is nothing more than a 6X4 "grass" matt. you can use it on the floor or table. Throw in about another $50 or $60 worth of GW and ya have a nice thing to use. You can even go cheap and just put stacked books at different levels as hills.

Ozeor
07-01-2009, 07:01
Well the battle realm gameboard requires painting and flocking, and the grass matt is well....cheap looking lol.
I was thinking something along the lines of http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/BrningHalo/Games%20Day%202007/Trench_War_Table_1.jpg

or http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/stu/archives/dustan/dustansJungleTableTerrain.JPG

Killgore
07-01-2009, 10:27
your best bet would be to hire someone to create a board for you

im sure in local clubs/ shops theres a terrain guru lurking that might be temped by your dollars

wilycoyote
07-01-2009, 12:14
Hi,

May I suggest you take a look at the gaming mats supplied by either "Hotz Artworks" or a UK company "Terrain Mat".

Both supply mats that are of real quality, relatively thick and durable - nothing like that thin, overpriced mat GW created a few years back. They look like the ground your are supposed to be battling over. The great advantage of these mats is that they can be rolled up for easy storage, unlike a table.

We have used "Terrain Map's" Urban mats with their road sections, add a little of your own ruins etc and away you go. The mat creates natural folds in the ground (do not confuse with creases which they are not) that adds to the look. The current plan is to get their micro WW1 mat for use Epic.

The other bonus is that these mats are unique being made to order, so you know its yours.

Of course you are paying far more than a DIY table, but much less than the new table sets from GW. For us, the ease of storage and quick layout was the key.

Hope this helps

Wilyc

Norsehawk
07-01-2009, 12:32
These guys put really nice looking modular boards together, fully finished so you can play on them right away, and by their youtube channel, they will really work with you to make sure you get what you want as well.

http://www.terranscapes.com/index.php
http://www.youtube.com/user/Terranscapes

I know there are other people out there that do the same, but their method for doing lakes and water make me drool.

Oh and Ozeor, I would suggest staying away from such a specialized board like that, it looks great, and would be fun for several games, but having the ability to change it up really makes the board fun a lot longer. I'm sure you could get some trench sections made that you could use modularly.

jfrazell
07-01-2009, 12:37
Dinner table, green felt table cloth. Buy some plants at the local pet shop, and some other structures are the local hobby store. Done and cheaper.

NecronBob
07-01-2009, 13:04
I bought one of these a few years ago, and I love it:

http://www.war-zone.com/shop/tabletops.html

You need a dining room table to fold it out on, but if you have a place for it, it looks like a flocked table instead of a gaming mat. I like it because you can then fold it up and slide it under the bed, which is awesome if you don't have a place for a permanent table.

Korras
07-01-2009, 13:06
I ordered a bunch of tiles from http://www.totalsystemscenic.com/

their system is modular as well, and while it might be more bland then Terranscapes, the price is lower then that, too, about 10 pounds per tile. me, I plan to do some touchups to it myself, like fixing the hills up a bit, and redoing the rivers. it's more a basis then anything else for me.

yep, they're based in the UK, and shipping might end up to be quite expensive to the US. and their website seems to be down at the moment. but still, I figure posting it here wouldn't hurt. ;)

Balance-keeper
07-01-2009, 13:48
you could buy a fold - away decorating table..(which come in varous size's)....easy to store and fit the size's of some tables...you could also buy the terrian off ebay.

RichBlake
07-01-2009, 15:49
Kitchen table with some scenery slapped on it?

As long as the area you are playing on is about 6ft by 4ft you should be fine even for large games. 4ft by 4ft can also work but really you should be playing small games on such a board.

To be honest if you're not going to GW or a club getting a fully kitted out and designed board isn't worth it. The only difference is it looks cool as hell, but if it's only going to be you and a mate (or girlfriend, or sibling) then it doesn't make much difference.

Honestly, I was playing a Cityfight game the other week with loads of terrain we hadnt got round to painting at my club yet. My troops were wading through polystyrne ruins. Did it make the game less fun? No. Would it have looked awesome cool if they were painted? Yes because my army is in grey urban camo.

Jerimy
07-01-2009, 16:14
You should try the SD-combatmap from sabol designs. It is like a grassmat with an image printed on it so that bits of flock are not falling off everywhere.

http://www.saboldesigns.net/combatmat.html

The Base
07-01-2009, 16:36
Well if you just want something simple you could make a basic flat one in no time.

Go down to the local lumber store and get a slab of plywood about the size of the board you want.

Get some point rollers and/or large brushes.

Roll down the whole table with pva glue, then dump flock all over it.

Next Spray paint the whole thing.

Next paint with a large brush.

It really shouldn't take much time.

don_mondo
07-01-2009, 17:42
Gale Force 9 (www.gf9.com)
I think they still do custom tables.

King Thor
20-01-2009, 17:15
Hey,

A fellow Ontarian (from Toronto). Check this site out, it is sick and the prices are pretty good. Totally looking to get this once I have some $ and space...
:)

http://terranscapes.com/

brassangel
22-05-2011, 03:58
Dinner table, green felt table cloth. Buy some plants at the local pet shop, and some other structures are the local hobby store. Done and cheaper.

Done cheaper, but looks like crap, and serves no gaming purpose outside of purely tournament testing. For a fun, fully-fledged gaming experience, this is the one option that would turn me away from a game.

AlphariusOmegon20
22-05-2011, 05:53
If you live near a GW store I know some of them have painted and flocked Realm of Battle tables in the past that were bought by customers at their store. I don't think they charge anything extra to do it. (At least the stores that will do it around here don't charge.)

They sometimes have free time to work on them during the weekdays. Give it a try and ask them.

chamelion 6
22-05-2011, 07:06
I built a 4 x 8 game table with 2 x 2 bracing with a 1/8" veneer for a surface. I coverd it with green felt from a material store. I simply streached it over the surface and used a staple gun along the sides. It's light weight, sturdy, the felt works alot better than flocking and keeps the minis from sliding all over the place. And the best part is the whole thing cost me less than $60 and only took about an hour or so to build. It's now about 5 years old and I just put a new felt surface on it a couple of weeks ago and it's like brand new again. The felt for the surface cost me $15 at a local sewing shop.

JasmineDawn
14-12-2014, 10:05
hello i'm just wondering if anyone has recently bought (and received) a gaming map from Hotz mats, i placed an order mid October, its now been 2 months with no replies to my numerous emails and still no mat. unfortunately i didn't research reviews for Hotz mats before ordering but since found many reviews saying about lack of communication and very long waiting times, someone posted a blog review and his waiting time was 6 months!!! though most review are dated 2012 and before, anybody dealt with Hotz mats recently?

Neckutter
23-12-2014, 05:13
I bought a frontline gaming mat that is green and foresty and then bought $100 worth of aquarium trees. Instant maiden world for my Eldar

Beppo1234
23-12-2014, 13:22
I work full time and barely have enough time for my girlfriend and sleep, Does anyone know where to find a 40k gaming table thats full done? In other words i don't need to paint or flock it etc?

I just want something that when me and my girlfriend have time, to put on a table and play.

Thanks!

Oh anyone from Ontario around here?

I'm from the area... and just off loaded a full size table a few months ago to MagicHat.

I've built 4 tables in last 2 years, all for less than $75 + static grass + Buildings and Trees (collected over 15 years):

I know you are not into making a table, but there are really easy ways to make some good gaming surfaces. I'm about to build some gaming surfaces purely for display, using large sized cork bulletin boards from Staples/Office Depot. A quick sand flock, paint, and addition of some static grass will only take a few hours. I'll do a small walk-through in my logs when I get my hands on 'em in 2 days. 3 or 4 of those lined up would make a pretty nice gaming surface.

T10
23-12-2014, 16:43
I bought a frontline gaming mat that is green and foresty and then bought $100 worth of aquarium trees. Instant maiden world for my Eldar

Yep! Check out these guys:

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/

My firends bought a couple of these mats, and they are amazing. It's not a textured surface, but some sort of laminated print. It's thick yet flexible and has a very good "quality feel" to it.

However, you will need to roll it out on some sort of surface that matches the size. We use a number (usually three) of 2x4 foot plywood boards placed on the diningroom table to provide the foundation of the gaming surface and then roll out a gaming mat on top.

-T10