PDA

View Full Version : How do you rank Knights?

b4d0m3n
07-01-2009, 10:14
This may be a silly question. How would I rank a unit of six Knights? 5 models is the new ed's thing, so 5-1? This may well be something super-simple, covered in the rulebook, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Neckutter
07-01-2009, 10:18
i would make knights 6 wide.

you could rank them however you want. you could make them 3 wide, and have a second rank, which is a dumb idea unless you are bretonnians.

knights need to be wide for more attacks, and knights should have enough models to have a rank bonus. they are all about offense and attacks=offense

b4d0m3n
07-01-2009, 10:52
i would make knights 6 wide.

you could rank them however you want. you could make them 3 wide, and have a second rank, which is a dumb idea unless you are bretonnians.

knights need to be wide for more attacks, and knights should have enough models to have a rank bonus. they are all about offense and attacks=offense

Six-wide, eh? So, I guess to get most use out of them I'd need 10 Knights a unit with 5-5?

Neckutter
07-01-2009, 10:55
to get the most use out of knights, how about you take 7, 7 wide?

5-5 ranks is a waste of 5 knights, and only giving you 1 Combat Res.

Condottiere
07-01-2009, 10:58
The rule is that if you need the extra rank bonus to win combat for cavalry, you should re-evaluate your tactics.

Cavalry is expensive and unless you need the extra bodies for attrition purposes, a second unit running around might bring more.

Guy Fawkes
07-01-2009, 10:59
You can rank them however you want. You could make a long line, 1 or 2 wide and multiple ranks. However, this would not be optimal.

You take Knights to get kills. They are way too expensive to get a full rank bonus, so I would just take your Knights 6-wide. This is enough to get as many Knights into combat as possible, but is not so wide that the unit is unwieldy or unable to navigate the board. Also, with 6 models, you can take one or two casualties before you start really losing hitting power. 6 Knights on the charge is typically 6, 12, or 18 Lance attacks (depending on which army you are playing) and 6 weak Horse attacks (although these will generate the most kills). That is enough to kill quite a few models and with a decent anvil-type unit to the front, generating static CR through ranks and a standard while not dying too much, you should win combat easily by 2 or 3 points, which is generally enough to break the enemy.

Neckutter
07-01-2009, 11:05
condotiere said what i was trying to say, but i guess i wasnt able to convey my point.

Desert Rain
07-01-2009, 14:29
It is best to put them in a single file. 2 units of 5 is almost always better than 1 unit of 10.

badgeraddict
07-01-2009, 14:36
It is best to put them in a single file. 2 units of 5 is almost always better than 1 unit of 10.

I totally agree with Desert Rain.

Unless its with Bretonnians, then have multiple units of 10.:D