PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Vampire army

Leogun_91
07-01-2009, 13:27
I use the rules for VC as the zombie pirates list equals draw if lucky and is only ever usable at 2000-2500pts. And I use only one vampire beacouse he is the only one there.

Lord
Vampire Lord (Luthor Harkon)
level,flayed haubrek,sceptre de noir,crown of the damned, sword of battle, Aura of dark majesty, dark acolyte, lord of the dead: Total450

Heroes

Wightking BSB (Fleetcaptain)
extra handweapon, royal standard of Strigos Total:143pts

Necromancer
corpsecart with lodestone, extra spell, staff of damnation, balefire spikeTotal:220pts

Necromancer
corpsecart with lodestone, extra spell,Hand of dust Total:220pts

Core

25 Zombie Pirates
command Total:112pts

25 Zombie Pirates

25 Zombie Pirates

23 Skeletons (Zombie corsairs)
command, warbanner Total:229pts

Corpsecart
Balefire Total:100pts

Corpsecart

Black Coach 200pts

Total army 1998pts

For theme the zombies are just zombie pirates, the corpsecarts are ships carried by zombies (the ones with necromancers are darkelf ones) the skeletons are zombified corsairs, the black coach is a flagship and thatīs about it.

Also would you be OK with me having two versions of my lord using this against all but lizardmen against whom he exchange aura of dark majesty for Hatered and walking death (for fluff only as I want to represent his hatered of Lizardmen)?

RossS
07-01-2009, 18:11
I use the rules for VC as the zombie pirates list equals draw if lucky and is only ever usable at 2000-2500pts. And I use only one vampire beacouse he is the only one there.

Lord
Vampire Lord (Luthor Harkon)
level,flayed haubrek,sceptre de noir,crown of the damned, sword of battle, Aura of dark majesty, dark acolyte, lord of the dead: Total450

Heroes

Wightking BSB (Fleetcaptain)
extra handweapon, royal standard of Strigos Total:143pts

Necromancer
corpsecart with lodestone, extra spell, staff of damnation, balefire spikeTotal:220pts

Necromancer
corpsecart with lodestone, extra spell,Hand of dust Total:220pts

Core

25 Zombie Pirates

25 Zombie Pirates

25 Zombie Pirates

23 Skeletons (Zombie corsairs)
command, warbanner Total:229pts

Corpsecart

Corpsecart

Black Coach 200pts

Total army 1998pts

For theme the zombies are just zombie pirates, the corpsecarts are ships carried by zombies (the ones with necromancers are darkelf ones) the skeletons are zombified corsairs, the black coach is a flagship and thatīs about it.

Also would you be OK with me having two versions of my lord using this against all but lizardmen against whom he exchange aura of dark majesty for Hatered and walking death (for fluff only as I want to represent his hatered of Lizardmen)?

I love zombies,too, but they are pretty much useless when used in this manner. Back in 6th edition a list like this would have been eminently viable, but now...not so much. Those big blocks of brainless, toughness 2 ineptitude can only be used to hold things up. They will never, ever, ever win a combat. Skellies are just vastly superior. Well, so are ghouls, but I don't really like their new models much.

I also think you need some fast or maneuver elements. Consider adding a couple units of Dire wolves, some Bat swarms and some "Deck Droppers:" ie Fell Bats.

Leogun_91
07-01-2009, 18:27
I love zombies,too, but they are pretty much useless when used in this manner. Back in 6th edition a list like this would have been eminently viable, but now...not so much. Those big blocks of brainless, toughness 2 ineptitude can only be used to hold things up. They will never, ever, ever win a combat. Skellies are just vastly superior. Well, so are ghouls, but I don't really like their new models much.

I also think you need some fast or maneuver elements. Consider adding a couple units of Dire wolves, some Bat swarms and some "Deck Droppers:" ie Fell Bats.
They arenīt braindead anymore, in fact mine will probobly get ASF most of the time, I get the point though but holding up things are sometimes enough when my two dangerous units can do their thing (the character heavy skellies and the black coach), do you think the added mobility of two leadbelchers (piraty with eye-patches and gunpowder) would be a good trade for one unit of zombies?

Lord Dan
07-01-2009, 18:32
They arenīt braindead anymore, in fact mine will probobly get ASF most of the time, I get the point though but holding up things are sometimes enough when my two dangerous units can do their thing (the character heavy skellies and the black coach), do you think the added mobility of two leadbelchers (piraty with eye-patches and gunpowder) would be a good trade for one unit of zombies?

ASF with WS1 S2 is about as useful as Stubborn on Ld4.

Leogun_91
07-01-2009, 18:58
ASF with WS1 S2 is about as useful as Stubborn on Ld4. Snotlings are mildly usefull in the right situations and the ASF part isnīt making them much better but Iīm aware of that I just said that as an answer to the "Braindead" part as ASF would be the direct oposite to the old Braindead rule. My Vampire is still lethal with ASF though and so is the Wight and the 4D6 corpsecart attacks with hatered.

Lord Dan
07-01-2009, 19:26
Proxy it and play it a few times to see if you like it. I love zombies, so I've been working on a super-secret conversion project involving all zombies (and rules that don't shaft them), but the main reason I don't just take a zombie heavy VC army is...well, they're not good.

Leogun_91
08-01-2009, 07:21
Proxy it and play it a few times to see if you like it. I love zombies, so I've been working on a super-secret conversion project involving all zombies (and rules that don't shaft them), but the main reason I don't just take a zombie heavy VC army is...well, they're not good. They are one of the best tarpits in the game

Krusty
08-01-2009, 18:51
They are one of the best tarpits in the game

more llike THE best tarpit

anyway
i think you could save points by taking off 5 zombies from each unit...
with all the invocation you can be doin ala necros and vampires you dont really need the extra rank

but
you need to use the extra points (and then some) to get a few good hammer units...
atleast a varghulf (super zombie mutation beast?) or a unit of black knights

Malorian
08-01-2009, 18:59
They are one of the best tarpits in the game

Tarpits don't win games.

Your opponent is going to dig into them and there will be nothing you can do but watch them die. If you flank they just kill the zombies and rack up a ton of CR.

You also don't have a lot of magic to keep them up.

There is only one unit your vampire and other characters can join so you can bet your opponent is going to focus everything on it.

I think you would do better with the WD zombie pirate list...

Frankly
08-01-2009, 19:41
ASF with WS1 S2 is about as useful as Stubborn on Ld4.

But if you add helm of commandment + vanse and/or staff of damnation you've got moveable fodder that can flank and static CR units to death. Not grat, but fun.

@ the OP: I love the list! Personally I'd go for more of a magic phase to transform your zombies into a semi-average fighting force ... it can be done.

Lord Dan
08-01-2009, 20:24
But if you add helm of commandment + vanse and/or staff of damnation you've got moveable fodder that can flank and static CR units to death. Not grat, but fun.

That's just a lot of points, magic, and concentration to bump one unit up to being on par with other average core units.

Frankly
08-01-2009, 21:10
Right right i agree, but that zombie unit has alot going for it for its points cost in the first place, immune to pyche, fear and it should have good unit strength and ranks, so its not a total up hill battle using zombies as a quazi combat unit. Like I said not great, but fun.

The other thing is; on the table top your flexible on what unit you target, so it gives you wider choices of what you can assault. Also take some thing like the corpe cart, that afective everything in its radius, while helm of commandment is again very flexible on how it can be played.