PDA

View Full Version : Empire Or Brettonia? Please Help Guys!!!

Krom The Eternal
07-01-2009, 17:22
Hey there all I Have a bit of an Issue I Cant decide if i want to do a Empire army Or a Brettonian Army I Like the way they both look Im just wondering if you guys can tell me some pros and cons Ive Been Playing for a few years and my WoC have never faced either army Any help or insite would be greatly appreciated =]

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-01-2009, 17:30
Brets are easier to play with. The only thing i dont like about brets is that theyare all knights. Men at arms are fun for me to butcher but empire has some foot troops that dont suck. They also have knights and missiles and magic that doesnt suck. THe choice is yours my friend plays brets and loves them. Good luck

lord mekri
07-01-2009, 17:32
well, it really boils down to this...

if you like cavalry charges and games that are win big or lose big, and done quickly, go for bretonnians.

if you like massed infantry with firepower support and various support units, go for empire.

zak
07-01-2009, 17:36
Empire. An army for all phases.

badgeraddict
07-01-2009, 17:48
I personally like & own both.

Bretonnia: Knights, Peasants, great fluff. What more could you want?

Empire: Lots of ranked spearmen and cannons. What more could you want?

...probably more, but those examples did it for me.

Drongol
07-01-2009, 17:56
If you play Empire, then your closest "ally" is the Dwarfs. A bunch of grumpy, tough old buggers with big zog-off axes and even bigger zog-off artillery, and the guys who happenned to teach all of humanity how to make steel. Pretty nice chaps, and they make good beer.

If you play Brettonia, then your closest "ally" is the Wood Elves. A bunch of prissy little tree-huggers who prefer to hide in the middle of the woods and shoot arrows like a bunch of scared little girls and don't even know how to fight like a man.

I think the choice is clear. Plus, Bretonnians sound French, and we really can't be having with a force of cheese-eating surrender monkeys, can we?

Drongol

Ubermensch Commander
07-01-2009, 18:06
Bretonnians are a very very very simple army, fundamentally. You have lots o heavy Cav. This is your bread and butter. They are very good cav but ultimately your games will be "Lance formation and charge!" more often than not.

Empire gives are far greater variety, though admittedly their greatest strength is in infantry blocks, usually back up by powerful artillry, though you do not NEED to go that route. They also have decent cavalry, to let you do a "hammer and anvil" thing with Empire.

Ben
07-01-2009, 18:33
Empire can go cavalry heavy, but don't need to. Brets need to go cavalry heavy. Empire magic and shooting is also good. You can't really say that about Brets.

Guardian_A
07-01-2009, 19:17
Birtonnia is pretty easy to play, but there is little veriety in their army.

Empire is possibly the most versitile army in Warhammer Fantasy, you can build your army many different ways.

So I guess its a matter of what you are looking for. Do you want an army that is easy to play but has few options (Do you want this kind of Knight, that kind of Knight, or some other kind of Knight?) Or do you want an army that can be built many different ways but will take time to fine tune your strategies? I currently use my Britonnian army as a way to teach others how to play the game.

Lord Dan
07-01-2009, 19:28
Do what I did when I faced the same crisis: play both.

lord mekri
07-01-2009, 19:57
while you can play cavalry with empire, they are really not that great - thier knights are for flank support.
and while you can play peasant heavy with brets, they arnt great. mostly there for protect flanks and general support and table quarters.

the reason brets seem to be leass versital is htier limited lors n magic, and the fact that there cavalry is so good that to not take it is to play a weaker list.

but then again, if one decided to take an empire knightly order army, it would pale in comparison to the bretts. empire needs to be diverse to work properly. and since they have good fire poer and infantry, and only average cavalry, they tend to play a buit more defense/counter attack, whereas bretts are all offense.

Condottiere
07-01-2009, 20:42
Hey there all I Have a bit of an Issue I Cant decide if i want to do a Empire army Or a Brettonian Army I Like the way they both look Im just wondering if you guys can tell me some pros and cons Ive Been Playing for a few years and my WoC have never faced either army Any help or insite would be greatly appreciated =]

If you're going just by the feel, then:

Empire is a late Renaissance/early Baroque army with a sprinkling of technology and a mass conscription infantry force.

Bretonnians are a High Fantasy medieval French cavalry army steeped in Arthurian lore.

Rolo Ramone
07-01-2009, 20:56
Bretonnia itīs not an "easy-simple army". Those sound like never play Bretonnia before. The only way that could be true is that your opponent is a newbie or maybe retarded. A good warhammer player ALWAYS gonna win f you play with Bretonnia "Just lance and Charge".

Krom The Eternal
07-01-2009, 21:12
well im thinkin more along the lines or empire now so can you guys give me some advise and pointers about them i normally only play evil armies this will be my first real good army

Guardian_A
07-01-2009, 21:19
Bretonnia itīs not an "easy-simple army". Those sound like never play Bretonnia before. The only way that could be true is that your opponent is a newbie or maybe retarded. A goor warhammer player ALWAYS gonna win f you play with Bretonnia "Just lance and Charge".

I wont argue that they arent a good army. They are. They are just a simple army to learn. Most other armies take longer to learn and have many different options for how to play. Personally, I enjoy building & playing my armies in new and creative new ways. For Britonnia, all you really need are a couple of units of archers, a bunch of Knights, a unit of Pegasus Knights, and a Trebuchet. Send your Pegasus Knights after your opponents war machines, Knights for "Lance & Charge" attacks, the Trebuchet to soften up enemy units, and your archers to lend a hand wherever they are needed.

Guardian_A
07-01-2009, 21:22
well im thinkin more along the lines or empire now so can you guys give me some advise and pointers about them i normally only play evil armies this will be my first real good army

Start by picking up the Army box and at least one Battalion box. Thats the most cost effective way to get the core of your army. After that you can buy individual units to fill things out the way you want.

Krom The Eternal
07-01-2009, 23:06
Ok So I Just went through the Army book and i made a list im not sure If it Will Be a Good Ones Or Not but Id love feedback on it

EMPIRE ARMY LIST.......1,462pts

General... Edward Fire Heart...110pts
Plate Armour
Sheild
Warhorse
100Pts of common and magic items
----------------------------------
HEROS
Captain Of the Empire.... ......80pts

Battle Wizard..... .......100pts
Lvl 2 Wizard
-------------------------------------
CORE TROOPS
State Troops.....20x.....120pts
Spears
Full Command

State Troops.....20x....120pts
Spears
Full Command

State Troops.....20x.....145pts
Swordsmen
Full Command

Knightly Order.....10x.....270pts
Full Command

Hand Gunners......10X.....83pts
Marksman

Hand Gunners......10X.....83pts
Marksman

----------------------------------
SPECIAL

Outriders.......5x......121pts
Champion

Great Swords.....10x......130pts
Full Command

---------------------------------
RARE

Helblaster Volley Gun......1x......110pts

Im Not sure what to bring for magic items and banners yet but ill get there

Goose
07-01-2009, 23:12
IMO I'd go fluff base.

Would you rather be a Paladin or some sort of great noble who rides into battle bravely on steed and crushes their enemy. I always get a very romantic (see Romanticism in wikipedia.) from the Bretonnias. With knightly honor and all.

Or Empire, with its more modern stuff.

I don't know about you, but I really like the mad feeling of Bretonnians. France was known for their knights for a while, which is the connection. Otherwise most people get a feeling of tales of medieval Britain. Also Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Though its up to you. The only thing I find cool in an Empire army are Pigeon Bombs, even then, they are not nearly as powerful, destructive, and risky as they should be. Pigeons are underrated, see this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa29TO_S8SA

The song is Walkure by Richard Wagner, to me it captures the ridiculously stupid and awesome feel of the Bretonnians. Charging on horseback into the enemy in a heroic mad battle. There is no room for cannons and ranged weaponry in noble glorious warfare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycvf9E2cjRs&feature=related

This commercial also shows the destructive and warlike nature of pigeons. Surely you wish to fight alongside such magnificent beasts, right? Every pigeon would be a Bretonnian, unless of course they were dumb.

Coram_Boy
08-01-2009, 16:51
I would reccomend the Bretonnians if only because their fluff is so great. It is generally easier to actually pitch them against other armies and justify it, as they are so based on honor, which means that any match can be a grudge. I find empire a bit dull: the bretonnians are more vibrant.

Lord Dan
08-01-2009, 19:16
No equipment on your captain?
No detachments?

SuperArchMegalon
08-01-2009, 19:59
You ought to edit out the prices on individual units, and just leave a total points cost, lest you defy the Dark Gods...

Krom The Eternal
09-01-2009, 00:58
i hadnt got a chance to look through all the equipment and items yet lol

orkz222
09-01-2009, 08:35
Those that say brets are easy to play must have nv play brets before or play brets and their opponents are lousy players who move their troops up in the center to let the knights charge them, or run raf list...

I would prefer u choose the army that have models u like more. empire can play all phase, brets limited shooting <--edit