PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh!

BLARGAG!!!
08-01-2009, 03:12
hey all,

I am creating this thread to complain about something that i just learned about, and is quite annoying.

Forgeworld doesn't take paypal!!

this is quite frustrating for me at the moment, and if anyone knows of a way to buy FW stuff with paypal, please let me know.

thanks for reading my annoyance.

mightymconeshot
08-01-2009, 06:34
yeah go to ebay

Ghilleman
08-01-2009, 06:46
Buy direct at a GamesDay.

Spacker
08-01-2009, 07:40
I can sympathise with FW - I work for an online retailer of books, and we don't take Paypal either. The charges Paypal levy are ridiculous - for us to take Paypal we'd have to up our prices because it would cost us at least double what we pay now for card processing services. Google Checkout is much cheaper from a merchant's POV than PayPal, but is still more than just a standard card processing payment provider. On top of that PayPal is not regulated in the same way as a payment provider/bank, and add on the hassle of the API implementation and admin overheads and it all adds up.

zedeyejoe
09-01-2009, 16:54
Strange I checked out PayPal rates and found them competitive. I think its 3%+20p per transaction. I am happy with that.

RevEv
09-01-2009, 19:02
FW may not take Paypal - but they do take Credit and Debit cards which you must have or otherwise you couldn't have a paypal account.

Why then should FW take Paypal? Just to bolster up Paypal's profits? Paypal offer nothing that credit/debit cards offer without the added cost to the vendor.

If you want to get annoyed find something worthwhile to rant about...!

the overlord
11-01-2009, 11:02
Hmmm, you can get a paypal acount without access to credit or debit card. I know because I have done it. Just follow the instructions on the paypal site to activate your paypall account through your bank account:)

And I think it is just a business decision for FW to not get attached to paypal. Meaning this, they are allready swamped with orders, production capacity is filled for at least 80% or higher. For thise without access to credit or debit cart, you can get their products through various venues (such as events like GD or for those in the facinity through warhammer world).

ps personally I would like to see the possibility to order from FW through paypal or other non credit/ debit card. Then I could buy myself a droptroop army, and 2 or 3 flightwings (1 vulpture and 2 valkeries each)

Aurellis
11-01-2009, 11:08
I see no reason to use Paypal over your Credit/Debit card, it's not as if you need the buyer protection that it offers for eBay users as Credit card payments are fully insured and you're protected under the consumer rights act with both.

If you're not old enough to have one of them cards just get your parents to use their card and transfer the funds to their account using paypal or whatever.

C-Coen
11-01-2009, 11:28
Didn't GW only just recently started with accepting PayPal?
FW might do the same in a while.. might...

Axel
11-01-2009, 11:40
>3%+20p per transaction

Most credit cards are decisively cheaper. While it does not show up, remember that you pay the price, and there is no reason to pay a percentage more just for the convenience of Paypal. When exchanging money, cc usually also offer a better rate then Paypal. The only advantage paypal has is its availability. Whenever I can, I avoid it.

Captain Brown
11-01-2009, 17:54
That is likely the main reason Forgeworld stuff on eBay usually goes for at least cost and often a bit more, as there seem to be a fair number of gamers who have paypal accounts flush with funds from the sale of other GW items.

CB

Kroot Lord
11-01-2009, 20:45
Couldn't Forgeworld just add an option for paying with PayPal, and charge 3% extra?

TheDarkDuke
11-01-2009, 21:56
Try a simple solution for you to order from them. Go calculate the exact total your order will cost. Retail price, taxes and shipping. Go get yourself a pre-paid credit card. It is basically a gift card that can be used anywhere as its given a credit card ability.

Now you have a credit card that you can't abuse, forget about paying the bill (its pre-paid) and you have access to online payment with FW.

t-tauri
11-01-2009, 22:09
Couldn't Forgeworld just add an option for paying with PayPal, and charge 3% extra?It's against paypal rules to charge extra for using it.

I'd guess that main GW will weigh up the extra cost of taking paypal versus the extra sales taking it brings in. If they see an expansion they might expand taking paypal to Forgeworld. I'd be surprised if they do though as most big retailers don't seem to take paypal as the extra cost is fairly unattractive to them.

BLARGAG!!!
11-01-2009, 23:04
the reason that i want to use paypal was hit on by captian brown. i have a BUNCH of $$ in my paypal account and not a whole lot in my real bank account.

the easiest way to get FW stuff w/ paypal is to find a mate w/ a credit card and have him charge it for you and then pay him back w/ paypal. i would do this, but none of my friends have a credit card.

Grimtuff
11-01-2009, 23:31
the reason that i want to use paypal was hit on by captian brown. i have a BUNCH of $$ in my paypal account and not a whole lot in my real bank account.

:eyebrows:
And what exactly is stopping you from transferring the funds to your bank account then using your card as normal?

BLARGAG!!!
12-01-2009, 00:15
:eyebrows:
And what exactly is stopping you from transferring the funds to your bank account then using your card as normal?

i can do that?! would you please tell me how? that would be amazing.

*EDIT* i figured out how to do that. thanks for letting me know about the schnazzy little feature.

*DOUBLE EDIT*a mod can close this thread if they wish. i have resolved the issue that this thread was created to resolve (and all that sort of jazz)

RevEv
12-01-2009, 13:21
Good man - got it sorted.

I've learnt something from this thread re prepaid credit cards - great idea.

BTW - credit cards and paypal charge the vendors for using their cards (hence there is often a lower limit in smaller stores for using credit cards), it's just that paypal charge more for its usage than credit cards do.